DeanG RF-7ii (From Start to Finish)

Youthman

maybe I was being a bit hyperbolic. Al told me he thought the idea was dumb. I've had a couple of comments on some other forums such as AK, DIYaudio, etc that have been kind of patronizing like "oh, that's nice *pat, pat*".

i'm am a rookie with crossovers and critical listening, and i'd hardly call capacitor swaps on a prebuilt amp board "building", so your assessment was fair. :P

I know a little, but not enough to carry a torch without tripping and lighting myself on fire....

that's gotta be one of the greatest quotes I have heard in a very long while!!!

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

God willing, I'll be picking up some LaScala Splits next weekend, and I'll be comparing four different crossovers over the next month.

YES!... I am close to committing to get a pair of LS and look forward to the review.

A final note of interest. I have hired John Warren to do some testing for me. The reason for this is because I needed acoustic measurements. The kind normally seen around here are purely electrical or modeled using software, and I've lost some confidence in anything that doesn't involve a microphone.

very nice... good to have some science behind the sound for the naysayers.

Edited by Schu

I want to give my crossovers a fair shake BUT I can't imagine anything being worse than the crossovers that I sent Dean with original leaking caps. A fair comparison would be a properly working set of B2's to the battery bias equivalent. I will however keep the playing field even (for now) and install them while still using the same cables, amps and sources that I used prior to sending them out. In the not too distant future, I'll run them with a one off custom tube pre with SS amp, and after that, a SET amp. Those will both be topics of future threads.

I'll also filter my thoughts through the fact that the room all this is in is not ideal by any means.

• Like 1

In the not too distant future, I'll run them with a one off custom tube pre with SS amp, and after that, a SET amp. Those will both be topics of future threads.

I would love to hear this comparison... I could do that here if I knew someone locally that had a SET amp to go up against the Bel Cantos

Carl, do me a solid and set them up for near field. 2ft or so from the wall, angled 45 degrees,6ft between center points of the sqwuaker, and the listening position centered at 6ft from each sqwuaker. Lemme know what you think.

That won't work in the room that they're in but nothing's to say that I can't dolly them around the house.

I was driving around this morning doing errands with my wife and the subject of speaker placement came up. it was actually started by my wife. We're going to take a fresh eye at the space we have available and look at possibly moving some things around. We're pretty limited though. I'm at 15 speakers and three subs right now and that's just what's inside the house.

Consider this.....both Dean and I have a lot to lose. If I get them back and I feel they sound horrible, I will have to order two new crossovers from Klipsch and if the first DeanG RF-7ii gets a negative review, he likely will not get many people wanting to try it on their speakers.

There is ZERO chance they are going to sound bad...

This thread is interesting. I'm a total newb on here. I did luck into a set of spectacular Klipsch speakers about 2 years ago, a pair of P38s. I am a contractor and did a job for a guy here in Indy, he turned out to be a Klipsch acoustic/electrical engineer. I did him a favor on his home, he did me a bigger favor on the speakers. They were a test set, but he did rework the crossovers before he delivered them. He told me what he did, but the info flew right over my head. Now I'm kind of curious what hi did exactly. I did not listen to them before he worked on them, so I have no idea how different they sound.

Welcome to the Forum Ceptorman and congratulations on the speakers. Those appear to be very nice and I too wonder how much difference changing/reworking a crossover in a $12,000/pair speaker would sound. If it was done by a Klipsch engineer that truly would be interesting what improvements he (or she) made.

• Moderators

See post #527 HERE That's where I got the pic from. You can blow that one up and have a better look at it.

Likewise, if you want to post a large image from the forum, click on the image, then click the "Save" icon at the bottom right of the image. Then you can copy the URL to the image, then in your post, click the image icon in your post and paste the url....like this

20140305_163704.jpg