DeanG RF-7ii (From Start to Finish)

Youthman

The worst part is the adhesive, which is everywhere, including around the holes for the leads, which btw, are too small for the leads of the Mills resistors. So, some drilling had to be performed. Dull bits and low speed rotation will pull the foil right off the board.

I've been bypassing just about everything these days. I thought it was complete nonsense until I bypassed the critical series caps in my RB-61 monitors. The Dayton caps are rebranded Bennic metallized polypropylenes. The bypass caps are Dayton film and foils. I cut open one of the stock capacitors, and I'm pretty sure they're polyesters (Mylar). Apparently Klipsch has no interest in putting me out of business!

post-1106-0-46680000-1395963976_thumb.jp

post-1106-0-09120000-1395964006_thumb.jp

post-1106-0-63480000-1395964066_thumb.jp

post-1106-0-02320000-1395964146_thumb.jp

• Like 1

This seemed like a really good idea

What idea?

The first picture is me starting with a screw up. I took out a small ruler, and after measuring, decided I had enough room to mount the first resistor under the board. As Maxwell Smart used to say, "Missed it by THAT much."

• Moderators

Hope I don't come across as impatient. I'm just feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas to get here.....always enjoy new toys. :D Plus I wanted to see how much time I have to knock out some design projects before they get here. I don't want to have them arrive, document the install and write up my thoughts on how they sound. Enjoy your weekend with your family. ;)

Youth,

you just made me come out of retirement for this.....

you have just entered my crazy world. you know, once you start with something like this, you can't stop! i still have my FULLY modified RF-7's and still love them. they are stuck being using in an apartment in a 3.1 set up, but they still sound nice.

you should hear a striking difference between upgraded and not. i know klipch sells an awesome and amazing product, but they can't afford "nicer" name brand resistors or caps in all their gear, the cost would be staggering. what trully happens, your speakers get a nice tune up. an easy way to think of it is, buy a brand new (insert favorite sports car) and install new headers, exhaust, and computer chip.

since i haven't been on here in a while, are you thinking of getting the emotiva xmc? it's 2K, a little high for me (good thing i have that 40% off), but from what i have read and heard from emotiva, it seems killer.

sorry, i get off topic quick......

you should love this upgrade.......

• Moderators

Thanks Inventor. I'm looking forward to hearing my first DeanG crossovers. I doubt I will get the XMC, expecially for 2k. I'm cheap bro, I typically buy a few year old technology, buy it used and save a small fortune in the process. Technology changes too quickly for me to invest that kind of coin in a pre/pro.

I'm cheap bro, I typically buy a few year old technology, buy it used and save a small fortune in the process.

Yeah, I guess that "few year old" PS4 falls into that category? :o:):D

Just kidding bro, 50% off of $400.00 is a pretty good savings.

Sorry, I had to do it. You know I love you bro.

Bill

Edited by willland