DeanG RF-7ii (From Start to Finish)

Youthman

Oh great Youthman now I have to sound like I know what I'm talking about, I think the pressure may be to much ?

You the man Youthman, always well thought out explanations and comparisons with great pics, people respect you because of how you are, a good guy you can trust, it's obvious just by the way you deal with everything. You don't need to do anything it's just how you are and it shows even in just typed words, you are in the right profession, kids need more of this.

For a long time I have been wanting to say something to you just never did, and I really don't just pm people, I just say it where everyone can see it and they should and I am sure most know already.

I joke, tease and make fun anytime I can but don't think I don't notice how many really good people are here and appreciate all of them, probably why I feel comfortable to say some of the things I do. (and I do control myself)....(alot) :D

+1

CornScalas don't need "fixing", but I've revoiced a handful for some people who thought they were too bright or who wanted something more upscale. On a couple of occasions, Bob has been gracious enough to help me honor my warranty to people by testing and fixing issues. Both times he did it for no charge. I don't like the way Bob and Michael do some things and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual. I think Bob does a better job of not letting the competitive part of the business interfere with the relationship.

Edited by DeanG

• 3 weeks later...

youthman, great thread. would really like an update now that you have had the upgrade for a while. do you still think a little treble needs to be added? did the upgrade provide better sound overall or was it pretty much a wash? I guess the big question still looming is would spend the extra $$$ on your speakers to achieve what you have now versus what you had before?

deang, kudos to you for trying an experiment in public. that takes guts. I will be contacting you for advice on some of my stuff. that is if you have time(lol). there is no second guessing that you do excellent work with great results. I wish I could have experienced this comparison first hand.

all the best to both of you

• Moderators
youthman, great thread. would really like an update now that you have had the upgrade for a while. do you still think a little treble needs to be added?

I originally bumped up the treble on my receiver and it did help. I've been so busy with design projects that I haven't had too much time to sit down and just enjoy some 2ch listening.

did the upgrade provide better sound overall or was it pretty much a wash?

I don't think it was a wash because there is an improved overall sound in detail. I'll ask Wstrickland to pop in and share his thoughts on the RF-7ii's.

I guess the big question still looming is would spend the extra $$$ on your speakers to achieve what you have now versus what you had before?

I enjoyed the stock RF7ii and am also enjoying the change that the DeanG Crossovers have brought. It's not a total night and day type upgrade but as stated earlier in this thread, it's a cleaner, more precise sound, with slightly less bright sound than the stock RF-7ii. Dean shared with me on the phone that he knows how to modify the crossover to where it would not reduce the high frequencies as much. He said most people that he does XO work for ask him to "Tame the Horn". Maybe I'm weird (or going deaf) because I've always liked the bright, crisp sound of the horn so to my ears, I'm not sure the RF-7ii's need "taming". A1UC sounds as if he wants something that will soften the horn a bit. The original RF-7's are a different story. If I had the RF-7's as my main listening speaker, I would definitely want to have Dean tame the horn on it as it tends to be overly bright and harsh at loud volume.

deang, kudos to you for trying an experiment in public. that takes guts.

I agree, Dean took a chance but he also knows his work and is extremely knowledgeable at what he does. He is truly a craftsman and sounds like he has the ability to tweak the crossover depending on what you are looking to achieve in the upgrade.

• 1 month later...

I'm running a decware TorriV 25wpc valve amp, I thought it would tame the horns a little, but to no avail, changed the valves to NOS mullards and telefunkens for a warmer sound, and the only big step forward was when I added a 1970's Audio Research valve preamp, turned the treble down a little, bass up a little and presto!!! I like the sound I'm getting now after months of experimenting. Nice bass and clear highs.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever ran a decent tube amp with the RF-7ll's I'm wondering how much this would tame the top end

From what I understand, the "II"'s top end is pretty good as is. The original 7's needed a little tweaking however.

Edited by CECAA850

• Moderators

Thx for the reference to the original comment. :D Now his comment isn't random.

From what I understand, the "II"'s top end is pretty good as is. The original 7's needed a little tweaking however.

I personally did not find the RF-7ii overly bright. The original 7's definitely have more of an "in your face" type sound.

I just did a mod on the RF 7's. Dean G said it not what you hear, it is what you do not hear. Bright, metallic are words to describe the top end of the RF 7 by some people. I think a better term is shrill, especially at higher volume. The resistor mod is a very noticeable change for the better. With the mod or Dean G XO revision, the RF 7's are a definet keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

This message is for @Deang and @Youthman ... I'm a 24 year old looking to make my first big speaker purchase. I found a set of (2) Original RF-7 and a RSW 15 for 1200 and ultimately steered away thinking I should hold out for the the newer RF-7ii as I thought his sounded a bit harsh at the highs. Should I consider buying these and having them upgraded? This is my first big system and I want to make sure I'm making the right choice. Any recomendations are greatly appreciated. I planned to use a Denon AVR-X3200W Reciever with these. Thank for your help guys, I've loved reading through your threads thus far!