DeanG RF-7ii (From Start to Finish)

Youthman

• Moderators

Hi Docta.  Welcome to the forums.  Thanks to @willland for letting me know that you had asked a question.  The forums were recently upgraded to a new platform and when they did, all of my subscribed threads were unsubscribed. 

The RF-7 is a fantastic system.  And if you look at my the links in my signature, you will see I really like the RSW-15....so much so I decided to buy 4 of them.  LOL.  The RF-7 definitely can be a bit forward and harsh on the top end, especially at really high volume.  I've had the privilege of owning RF-7, RF-7ii and RF-83's at the same time and did a comparison of the three in this thread.

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-1.jpg

@Deang does really great work and I have heard nothing but great things from guys that have had him mod their RF-7's.  His mod is known for "Taming the High's" in the RF-7. 

He modded my RF-7ii crossovers and it definitely smoothed out the sound and also reduced the top end a bit.  For my taste, I actually liked the top end in the RF-7ii's so I'm still trying to figure out if I want to go back to stock xovers to get that top end back, but am I willing to lose the smoothness that it added.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, the_docta said:

This message is for @Deang and @Youthman

Just a forum tip, when you tag someone, be sure to click on their username when their name pops up or the forum will not actually "tag" them and notify them they had been tagged in a post.  Example @youthman is not tagged but @Youthman is.

If we hadn't responded, you would have thought we were just ignoring you and that isn't the case.

• 1 year later...

I read through the first 14 pages of this thread then skipped to last page so I'm not sure if this was mentioned here or anywhere else possibly, but has anyone done an upgrade like this on RF-83's? I would imagine they would also benefit from higher quality parts in the crossovers and have similar results...

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 5:20 PM, Matty204 said:

I read through the first 14 pages of this thread then skipped to last page so I'm not sure if this was mentioned here or anywhere else possibly, but has anyone done an upgrade like this on RF-83's? I would imagine they would also benefit from higher quality parts in the crossovers and have similar results...

The quick answer is "no," I haven't heard of anyone doing this.

The RF-83 sound is very well balanced right out of the box and because it uses more modern components they don't need to be updated, and therefore upgraded.

@Deang has modified and upgraded components in crossovers that don't have standard kits.  Contact him to get his opinion if yours can be worked on.

18 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The RF-83 sound is very well balanced right out of the box and because it uses more modern components they don't need to be updated, and therefore upgraded.

The RF-83s may very well be quality speakers but imo the original RF-7s would be the ones I would own between the two...That said, I haven't heard the RF-7IIs or IIIs. 

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/13/2014 at 7:32 PM, Youthman said:

Yes would be fine , only with a crossover , as woffers don't really sound like guitar speakers , until you pass them through a crossover , crssovrr adding grit and tone.   👍 Check out the celestion redback lol 🙂🙂

Edited by Jim smith

On 9/22/2023 at 6:48 PM, billybob said:

Howdy, you can do a search using the forums search function. May end up back to this thread.

Rf7-2     not posted anywhere , ive gleaned that the subs use a 1.75mh and a 30uf ground 👍 very close to model 3 , very different from model 1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim smith said:

Rf7-2     not posted anywhere , ive gleaned that the subs use a 1.75mh and a 30uf ground 👍 very close to model 3 , very different from model 1

You can get my RF7 II X-Over Schematic , I`ve drawn it a couple of years ago, ignore the red line , it describes a voltage divider for the high pass. 

RF7MKIIModdy.thumb.jpg.49323b16ec2d971f94d83116082a1c1d.jpg

On 4/6/2014 at 8:45 PM, Youthman said:

After adding acoustic panels in my HT, it is now very quiet without the "noise". In the same way, the RF-7ii seem "quieter" now in the fact that you hear the vocals and instruments very specifically, nothing else. Another thing I notice is these are definitely not ear fatiguing at all. I wanted to see how they sounded cranked up so I turned the dial up to 0db on the receiver and they sounded fantastic. They never got harsh, shrill or sharp. I could listen to them at high volume with no problem without feeling that shrill that you get with the original RF-7's.

After some of the changes that I have made, I can relate to what Michael said.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jim smith said:

thanks mara , cool , the 1ohm was a mystery from online photos ,  interesting horn network

if you want the best sound  ,  RF-7 III brand new networks are available from klipsch parts ,  

-klipsch Part # 1064536

• Haha 1