DeanG RF-7ii (From Start to Finish)

Youthman

the unit's I've had were lean sounding... thin and compressed. superb resolution though.

I am sure any issue could be worked thru, but out of the box I liked the heritage better... call it personal preference.

Now, for HT, I would want 7ii's... and will probably get them sometime next year.

• Moderators

What reference models did you feel sounded lean? I can see how some of the smaller reference might sound that way.

I prefer the RF7, RF83 and RF7ii over my previous forteii and chorusii. They have a huge soundstage, commanding bass and work very well for both 2ch and HT. Give them some solid power and they open up and shine even more.

A stock Lascala sounds leaner than an RF-7 because it can't dig near as deep. Same goes for a Heresy. Strong mids and highs, lows that leave something to be desired. Disclaimer, I own all 3 models mentioned and like them all.

When you give a one word answer to how something sounds and it's not positive, it COULD steer someone away.

Thin and compressed are words I normally associate with digital audio or output of certain receivers.

It's also possible to have a synergy issue between components. It happens more often than you think.

• Like 1

I ran my RF-7s in a pretty small room with all kinds of amps. To get any real bass out of them, I had to have them in the corners. I thought they were great for 2-channel listening, but strong, authoritative bass wasn't something they were very good at. Later, I ended up with Klipschorns, and of the course the Jubilees. If someone were to ask me how to compare the bass, I would say ...

...lean... :)

• Like 1

that is my point... lean is a fair word if I was to choose one.

lean does not mean lacking in resolution or crispness etc.

the misunderstanding of the usage of that word is the issue, not the usage of the word and for some, lean might be a good thing. Lean... no fat, no extra, no coloration, striped down

Edited by Schu

That was funny Dean. I've been tied up and haven't had a chance to pull the woofers out to disconnect the crossovers. Maybe I can get some time this weekend.

I'm sure you know but removing woofers and or any driver in those is much easier when the speakers are on their backs. No chance of slipping drivers when you take the last screw out. It's infinitely easier to install them that way too.

strong, authoritative bass wasn't something they were very good at.

WOW. Was this with your PLX2? I'd almost wager that statement is amp dependent. Even RF-5's pound and go relatively deep with a hundred watts or two.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

Straight up ;) With the speaker on it's back, you can remove all screws without worrying about the driver slipping. Once all screws are out, use something plastic to pry one edge up. Put your finger tips underneath the edges and pull up. There's normally enough wire to set the driver on the cabinet to undo the connectors. That's another advantage of doing it this way. You don't have to hold the heavy driver while you're trying to remove the wires.

Credit card might work. I have a hard plastic squeegee used for applying window tint that I grab for such tasks. Sometimes just your fingers work. Depends on how hard they're stuck though. As new as they are, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. i've done it both ways, speakers on their backs is the way to go.