DeanG RF-7ii (From Start to Finish)

Youthman

• Moderators

8) Secure the Shorter Red/Black cable to the bottom woofer. The black cable has a smaller connector than the red cable so you can't hook them up incorrectly.

DeanG-Klipsch-RF-7ii-Crossover-Install-1

9) Make sure they fit tightly. If they come off easy, you can pinch the connector using needle nose plyers.

10) Place a towel on top of the speaker cabinet and place the woofer on the cabinet. Attach the other Red/Black speaker cable to the woofer.

11) Line up your 4 holes by looking through the holes to the holes in the speaker cabinet. Gently set the speaker into the groove. Hand tighten the 4 machine screws to secure the speaker to the cabinet. Note: If the holes are not lined up when you place the speaker onto the cabinet, insert two screws into the holes on the speaker frame and twist the speaker until it aligns with the screw holes below. Once you get the screws started, finish tightening with a T20 Screwdriver.

12) That's it! Now it's time sit back and enjoy my new toys!

13) From start to finish, it took me just over 13 minutes to install the 2nd Crossover. The first crossover took much longer since I had to photograph and take notes of the installation. The removal and installation of the crossovers was a piece of cake. If any of the above steps are unclear or if they can be worded more clearly, feel free to make suggestions.

Edited by Youthman

• Moderators

Thanks Dean, and you likewise. I'm enjoying what I'm hearing. :D

I hope you didn't think you fooled us with the " I will see if I can set down tomorrow for some listening sessions. " story. :laugh:

You know good and well you would not resist listening, and who could blame you ? And whenever your ready, the hard part, trying to explain what your hearing. :huh:

• Moderators

I never said I didn't listen to them today, I just said I would try to carve out some length of time that I can demo some different material, jot down my thoughts etc. ;)

And whenever your ready, the hard part, trying to explain what your hearing.

From what little I've listened to them today, they sound really great. I'm just not sure how I can compare them to what I remember them sounding like 3 weeks ago? :D I guess I can simply describe what I hear now.

That's where a second pair would have come in nicely for a A/B. Why don't you just just keep an eye out. Sure you will find a pair for like 68$ in the next couple weeks. Buy em, compare then ship to me and I'll give you triple your investment.

• Moderators

Unfortunately, I have been busy most of the day but had a 20 minute section of time where the house was quiet and I could devote to some listening. This isn't a comprehensive review but I wanted to share with you my thoughts as I develop them.

First of all, I REALLY missed my RF-7ii's. :D

As stated before, this is my first experience hearing any DeanG crossovers on any Klipsch speakers. I have no preconceived ideas of what my ears are supposed to hear. My ears aren't what I consider "critical".

I began by listening to some familiar material (Hotel California, Norah Jones, and a few various audio CD's),

When i first began listening to them, I notice that they seem to be not as bright as I remember them being. Back when I compared the RF-7, RF-7ii and RF-83, I documented that the RF-7's were indeed very bright, sometimes too bright. The RF-83 are the most laid back of the 3 and the RF-7ii are somewhere in the middle. I would like to do a separate comparison thread of the RF-83 vs the RF-7ii with DeanG Crossovers to see how they compare now but I'll start a new thread for that when I do.

At first I wasn't sure I liked the less bright sound but the more I listened to them, I began to recall what I first experienced when I installed acoustic panels in my room. You know how in some rooms, even when it's quiet, it's loud? Not sure how to explain that. After adding acoustic panels in my HT, it is now very quiet without the "noise". In the same way, the RF-7ii seem "quieter" now in the fact that you hear the vocals and instruments very specifically, nothing else. Another thing I notice is these are definitely not ear fatiguing at all. I wanted to see how they sounded cranked up so I turned the dial up to 0db on the receiver and they sounded fantastic. They never got harsh, shrill or sharp. I could listen to them at high volume with no problem without feeling that shrill that you get with the original RF-7's. :emotion-21:

To answer Dean's questions:

Keep it simple:

That's all I know how to do. :P

Do you like the change?

As mentioned above, at first I wasn't sure I did because they sounded quieter and my ears have always loved the Klipsch sound partly because they are brighter sounding than most other speakers. But the more I listened to them, the more I realized I wasn't hearing anything extra....just the instruments playing. Clarity, detail, every subtlety was there, just nothing extra. When the soundtrack gets quiet, the speakers get really quiet, when they get loud, they remain clear and detailed, never sounding harsh.

Is it subtle, or fairly noticeable?

To my non-critical ears, there is definitely a noticeable difference but it's not a night and day.....not like going from BOSE to Klipsch type of difference.

Would you do it over again, or leave them as they were?

Honestly, before Klipsch, I always used to increase the treble on my receiver because I tend to like a brighter sounding speaker. I enjoyed how the RF-7ii sounded before the DeanG crossover because they were a little brighter but although they seem less bright, they have a more refined sound to them.

An upgrade, or a lateral?

I believe it's an upgrade, although not an extreme upgrade. I have never heard DeanG RF-7's but I could DEFINITELY see how DeanG could help tame the highs on the original RF-7's. I say it's an upgrade even for the RF-7ii because they sound more precise now. I don't drink but you know the saying, "Taste great, less filling." The DeanG crossovers now "Sound great, less filling."

I definitely will do some additional listening when the family isn't here and will post some thoughts after I've been able to listen to them for a week or so.

I'm grateful to Dean for providing me with the opportunity to experience my first DeanG crossovers and am glad to be able to share my experience with the rest of the Klipsch community.

I hope that this has been helpful. Let me know your thoughts.

• Like 2