DeanG RF-7ii (From Start to Finish)

Youthman

• Moderators
When I used the term your "crazy" I meant no disrespect to anyone, above all Youthman. Youthman has always offered his help and know how , there's no way I would want to disrespect him.

As I mentioned in a PM, I took no offense to your comments whatsoever. :D I was simply inquiring why you thought I was crazy. LOL

What you're seeing on the RF-7 is not the magnet that's part of the motor structure, but a bucking magnet, that covers the driver magnet, intended to stop stray fields from messing with your Sony Trinitron.

That makes sense. It was different than any driver I had seen before. I just thought it was the magnet. Learn something new everyday (and that's a good thing).

Just my $0.02;

Bought my first Klipsch speakers in the mid 1980s. I still have them (Kg4) and love them. I did replace the horn diaphragm with the Crites Titaniums and and also had him rebuild he crossovers. I would recommend both upgrades, they sound fantastic.

I also have RF7s, and DeanG did the rebuilds on those. They also sound good.

I personally like the sound of the heritage line much better than the RF7s for 2 ch music. My brother had Chorus IIs and those ROCKED! I think my KG4s sound better with music than the RFs.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think it's great that Klipsch offers a variety of types of speakers to match our personal tastes. Although I've never owned any Heritage speakers, I've owned Chorus II's, Forte II's, CF-2's and I prefer the sound of the RF-7, RF-83 and RF-7ii's over them. My guess is it probably has a lot to do with the type of music I listen to. Violins, Orchestras etc might sound totally different on them vs the RF series. Honestly, I don't think I've owned any Klipsch speaker that I didn't think sounded great.....some just sounded better than others.

• Like 1

Just to clarify;

I LOVE my RF7 setup, and am very happy with the mod that Dean provided. For movies and concerts (Blu Ray and DVDs), it is mind blowing. That system is in my Home Theatre room.

Whether its room acoustics or whatever, the Kg4s just sound better to me for music. This set up is in my living room. My brother with the Chorus IIs only had a 2 ch setup, and CDs were incredible.

Maybe someday I will lug the Kg4s downstairs to see how they sound with a 200 WPC amp, and bring the RF7s up to see how they sound.......

So have there been any reports on improvements of the sounds since after the changes? Perhaps I missed it, but did go through the well described voyage of the change. Did I read incorrectly and its just one speaker? That would be like giving a legless man a leg. Very cool to experiment. Had no idea that the shape of the polyesters was bad.

• Moderators

JB, the xovers were shipped this morning. I'm leaving for a snowboarding trip to Vermont with my wife. Figured its a good time to be without speakers. Dean is doing both xovers. No need to post pics of both xover removal

So have there been any reports on improvements of the sounds since after the changes? Perhaps I missed it, but did go through the well described voyage of the change. Did I read incorrectly and its just one speaker? That would be like giving a legless man a leg. Very cool to experiment. Had no idea that the shape of the polyesters was bad.

I thought the same thing...I then went back and reread and realized Dean seemed to be describing the parts that are going into the crossover and Youthman told us it was an "upgrade," because of those parts. I can't imagine a bad review and we'll have something to talk about other than hearing difference in cables and speakerwire. :o

Edited by tkdamerica

Youthman and Dean,

Following this intently. I want to do the same to mine, but I have not started yet. YM did you take any pictures of the crossover completely removed from the cabinet? Is the wire to the tweeter that is hidden from sight just a bare wire or is there a terminal on it? Would soldering a pin on it make it easier to re install?

• Moderators
YM did you take any pictures of the crossover completely removed from the cabinet?

Yes, here is a pic of the entire crossover with speaker wires attached.

Klipsch-RF-7ii-Crossover-10.jpg

Is the wire to the tweeter that is hidden from sight just a bare wire or is there a terminal on it?

The tweeter speaker wires are bare with no terminal on it as shown in the photos below. (sorry pics are bad. Couldn't get my DSLR inside the cabinet to take photos so I had to use my iPhone)

Rear view of tweeter showing the Spring Loaded Positive (Red) and Negative (Black) terminals

Terminal-1.jpg

Closeup of tweeter speaker terminal after speaker cable has been removed

Terminal-2.jpg

By pressing down on the Speaker Terminal, it provides a "hole" for you to insert the bare speaker wire into. Once the wire has been inserted into the hole, when you release the speaker terminal, it "pinches" the speaker wire through the spring that is inside the speaker terminal.

Terminal-3.jpg

The photo below is the view of the rear of the tweeter by looking into the Upper Woofer hole on the front of the speaker cabinet.

You can see how I have already partially removed the tweeter wire by pressing upward on the speaker terminal post to release the speaker wire.

When I install the tweeter cables, the positive terminal will be easier to install because I can physically see the terminal and the location of the hole.

The Negative Speaker Terminal is on the opposite side which is not in line of sight so I will have to reach both hands into the cabinet without looking, press up on the speaker terminal and insert the bare wire. Shouldn't be too difficult at all. At most, it might take a few tries to get it secured properly.

Terminal-4.jpg

Edited by Youthman