Back In Rotation

Tarheel

Okay....this is what you do when you're retired with nothing else pressing and a few minutes on your hands. I unhooked the refurbished HK A500 amp. The Quicksilver Audio preamp has been sitting in the corner unplugged for months while the JM Blueberry stretched it's legs. So I cleaned it and used some Deoxit on all switches and then took the QS horn monos to the shelf for a polish and shine.

Got fired up to put the preamp back into rotation after reading a 2005 review of this unit. Much talk about how fine the phono stage is.

When all is back together I may spin a disc or two......

post-17365-0-69940000-1387379949_thumb.j

post-17365-0-82500000-1387380007_thumb.j

post-17365-0-92980000-1387380039_thumb.j

post-17365-0-63860000-1387380065_thumb.j

Got it hooked back together. The two R2Rs sound great. The phono section has a bit of noise so I am hoping it is the 12AX7 since I don't have a 12FQ7 handy. The 12AX7 was a used Telefunken so that is my guess. We will see.

Took out the telefunken and plugged in a new Tung Sol. Noise still. Took out the 12FQ7 and noticed it was an old Sylvania. Hit the pins with deoxit and that helped. No noise now unless you turn the volume way up.

You know when you plug in something different and/or new and it sounds better? That's where I am. Thinking now I'll stick with the QS amps and preamp....

post-17365-0-74180000-1387391408_thumb.j

post-17365-0-90660000-1387391422_thumb.j

Edited by Tarheel

Love the pine, but geez I am embarrassed to see how clean ever thing is compared to mine. Not a dust bunny one :rolleyes: Better sounding or not a good Deoxit job is always satisfying in a reassuring way.

Yeah I am kind of a clean freak with the equipment. Love the deoxit....use it on everything. It is almost solving my sticky tension arm problem on one of my R2Rs. Still working it but they are getting much looser.

Cornman I'm sure your gear looks great and what a great set up you have.

I'm sure Boxx's equipment is immaculate.....another great set up.

TBlake.....good point. Sometimes different just sounds better.