A Little Quartet Help

jlfx64

Have them reconed, you could do one but i would do both at one time if they were mine.

Look local first then branch out, shipping is expensive and can be hazardous to your valuables if not packed properly.

I know Parts Express does reconing if all else fails.

Looking into reconing local. Got a few of questions:

1. Based on the issues I have tried to describe, are you certain (or relatively certain) reconing will fix the issue? I know it is impossible to tell without hearing the issues for yourselves, I just don't want to spend the money on reconing (especially both woofers) if there isn't, say, a better than 90% chance that will fix the issue.

2. What is a decent market price for a recone? I don't have to have the deal of the century price, I would just like to know an reasonable amount so I konw if someone is trying to rip me off!

3. Any forum members in or around the Tampa ever use Speaker Exchange in Tampa? Looks like they have been around a long time, and they a very close to me location wise.

Again, thanks for all the help guys!

Edited by jlfx64

Have them reconed, you could do one but i would do both at one time if they were mine.

Look local first then branch out, shipping is expensive and can be hazardous to your valuables if not packed properly.

I know Parts Express does reconing if all else fails.

Looking into reconing local. Got a few of questions:

1. Based on the issues I have tried to describe, are you certain (or relatively certain) reconing will fix the issue? I know it is impossible to tell without hearing the issues for yourselves, I just don't want to spend the money on reconing (especially both woofers) if there isn't, say, a better than 90% chance that will fix the issue.

Reconing should cure the problem.

2. What is a decent market price for a recone? I don't have to have the deal of the century price, I would just like to know an reasonable amount so I konw if someone is trying to rip me off!

Prices will vary, get more than one estimate.

3. Any forum members in or around the Tampa ever use Speaker Exchange in Tampa? Looks like they have been around a long time, and they a very close to me location wise.

Cant help you there, maybe somebody local will chime in.

Again, thanks for all the help guys!

Good luck.

So, turns out Speaker Exchange is a certified Klipsch repair center! I called them up and the recone was going to be $80 per speaker. For $16 more, they would order replacements from the factory. Aparently the K-18 is a direct drop in replacement for the K-10. I actually called Klipsch after to see if the price would be better from them direct. The price would have been almost exactly the same. Funny enough, the guy I talked to at Klipsch actually asked me if I had heard of Speaker Exchange (this is when I found out they are a certified repair center) and suggested I call them. To support my local business, I went ahead and ordered new woofers from Speaker Exchange. So, woofer problem solved!

Ok, any feedback on this new batch of mid-range diaphragms from Crites? Anybody?

This is from his site.

New replacement midrange diaphragms for the following:

Klipsch Heresy II, Cornwall II, Quartet, Forte, Forte II, Chorus, Chorus II, and KLF Series speakers including the following specific Klipsch midrange (squawker) drivers:

K-53-K, K-52-K, K-52H, K-57-K, K-58-K, K-59-K, K-61-K, and K-62-K.

This is a high quality replacement diaphragm developed for us. It tests very good in comparison to an original Klipsch diaphragm and better in a couple of ways. It, has slightly smoother frequency response, it extends a bit higher and it rolls off smoother without a bounce back at higher frequencies.

Price is $70.00 per pair plus $7.00 for shipping. IN STOCK, NEW SHIPMENT ARRIVED TODAY 8/12/2013

I'm curious to see if anyone has installed them and noticed a big difference. Nothing wrong with mine at the moment, and I am content to leave them alone as long as I'm not leaving a ton of performance on the table.

I think I am the OP that Dean was referring to regarding K53TI drivers. I have Bob Crites "New" Networks, his titanium diaphragms for the tweeters, and I replaced my forte II squawkers with K53TI drivers. Adding the K53 TI drivers required a roll off band pass that Bob Crites built for me. The TI mids reach much higher than the original phenolics which requires a roll of, or your mid and tweeter will be working against each other.

I replaced the entire driver because when I purchased through Klipsch both drivers with the ti mids were only $5.00 more a pair than just the diaphragms themselves. A no brainer and a spare set of drivers!

I am very pleased with the results. To my ears a great improvement!

Feel free to message me with any questions you may have.

Best regards,

John

Price is $70.00 per pair plus $7.00 for shipping. IN STOCK, NEW SHIPMENT ARRIVED TODAY 8/12/2013

I'm curious to see if anyone has installed them and noticed a big difference. Nothing wrong with mine at the moment, and I am content to leave them alone as long as I'm not leaving a ton of performance on the table.

Last summer I first replaced my Quartets stock tweeter diaphragms with Crites Ti's. Listened for a couple weeks and loved them. Then went with Crites mid diaphragms and A-B them and noticed a nice improvement. Listened for a couple weeks again, then installed new Crites crossovers. A-B'd them against stock and it everything opened up and filled in nicely (if that makes sense?..lol). They did take a little to get used to as it does change the sound slightly. They are keepers and just keep getting better after 6 months. Sorry if this is disjointed as I'm on my phone with power down here in Toronto with ice storm.

For 80 dollars it's a no brainer if you can afford it and plan on keeping them!.

hope that helps

The Crites mid diaphragms are not titanium. Bob does not carry a titanium squawker diaphragm for any Klipsch model that I am aware of. You need to order directly through Klipsch.

I believe that Bob's mids are some sort of "Improved" phenolic, however they are not titanium.

Edited by John Chi-town

The Crites mid diaphragms are not titanium. Bob does not carry a titanium squawker diaphragm for any Klipsch model that I am aware of. You need to order directly through Klipsch.

I believe that Bob's mids are some sort of "Improved" phenolic, however they are not titanium.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just wanted to bring everything up to date. I ordered the K-18 woofers through the local repair center. They are direct drop in replacements for the stock k-10-k, though they do have 8 screw holes vs. 4 on the original. I also went ahead and ordered the Crites Mid Diaphragms with extra titanium (sorry, couldn't help myself! :P ). Both items came in on the same day, but had to wait a day to install them. I've had about a week to listen and figured I would share my thoughts. Please bear in mind, I am still pretty new at all this, so if I say somthing ignorant, it's not just because I'm ignorant; I'm new and ignorant...

K-18's: These sound really good. The only way I can really describe it is "more". I don't know if they more efficient or what, but you get and feel more bass with these woofers. I would say they are slightly boomier(?), but for my applications (mostly rock), this is actually a bit of an improvement to me. Before, you would hear the kick drum strike, but it wouldn't resonate very much. Now, the same drum note has more prescence and feels more substantial without blurring to much and sounding like a cheap car subwoofer. I don't feel like the range is digging any deeper, but there is a noticable change in the sound that has been all positive so far. Very happy with the purchase. It's hard to tell completely if the old damaged woofer (prior to being obviously noticable) was impacting the speaker's performance, but I still get the sense that the K-18's perform better than the stock K-10-K's. They ran me about $90 per speaker, and didn't have to pay shipping to the local service center hear in Tampa. Overall, very happy I got these.

Crites Midrange Diaphragms: These sound really good. I would go so far as to say I noticed a bigger change from these than I did the Titanium tweeter diaphragms. I know that is a pretty bold statement, but I really could hear a big difference. I guess I had been conditioned to believe that you had to change materials to get a big change in sound, but that is clear not the case. Ok, to describe it... I would say it took the "edge" off of the effected range. Quieter isn't exactly right, but it is easier on the ears and you are able to turn the overall volume up without fatigue on the ears. It seems to create a better "blend" with the tweeter and woofer. Vocals are still very clear, and I don't want to give the impression that the sound is compressed or muffled, as that would be a gross mistatement. Overall, very happy I got these.

Sorry if I butchered that completely. I just wanted to share my experience as best I could should anyone else be interested in these particular products. For the record, my Quartets already had the Crites TI Diaphragms and full Crites crossovers (not rebuilt stock). I also just switched to seperates for power and signal and these speakers sound incredible! Note, I don't have much experience as a basis for comparison, but I am very happy with them!

re the tweeters Vs mid ti diaphragms there is no question in my my mind that ti mids or in your case Bob's new phenolic mids will have a greater impact upon the sound quality than ti tweeters will. If you recall that the tweeters reproduce all the frequencies above 6KHz which makes all that information harmonics while the mid driver reproduces almost all the rest of the sound from about 700 Hz up to 6KHz. which make all that information fundamental notes. The combination of ti mids and ti tweeters make for an excellent combination which a stock Klipsch simply cannot match. You can kind of think of a three way Klipsch as a wide band mid driver with a helper tweeter and a helper woofer there in lies the magic getting as much of the most important information coming from one driver with the crossover points spaced away as far as possible low and high. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more Moray. I know I had read on several seperate occassions that the mid diaphragm upgrade isn't as noticable as the tweeter, which conditioned my expectations for what I was going to hear once they were installed. I'm not sure what those other posters were using and all the particulars of their own setups, but I was astounded by the difference in the mids. Oh well, guess you can't believe everything you read on the innerweb! Or maybe more accurately, you can't assume the experiences of others will mirror your own. Thanks for the input everybody!

most folks can hear some need just a little direction and help to point out what to listen for/to and then a healthy dose of experience to learn to deal with any problems (forums like this are a god send and an amazing resource) and you are off to the races. Some folks just can't hear or have things very messed up and don't want or need any help so their advise is of limited value. There is a small group who can hear very well but just don't seem to consider the diferences worth the effort this I just cannot understand. Save up and buy a set of ti mid diaphragms don't wait because when you get them you will wish that you had gone directly to ti in the first place. The ti skins provide much more of what you have now and they do it all better, a whole other league. Lots of driver mods that you can do to reduce unwanted structural resonances and reflections fo substnatial improvement in resolution and detail. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james