Dress like an audiophile?

Larry.... My advice to you is to begin drinking heavily.

I kept reading that post looking for something to instigate a minor guffaw, and instead, felt like I had just eaten a bucket of flaxen seed with a chaser of cherry coke.

You have evidently been drinking from aluminum cans for too long.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apartment has plenty of sound diffraction (clutter) and absorbsion (dirty laundry on the floor).

I think I definitly am favoring the function side of the equation.

I know nothing about furniture, but I like simple shapes and Italian leather. I also need function- no spare space.

I'm sure my apartment is anti-Martha Stewartcwm16.gif

Larry

I have a real sick habit of watching Rap videos on MTV2 at least once a week. This is a true American art form, but I'll leave THAT alone for now.

Anyway, you want fashion and style? Check out those Rap videos. Burberry jump suits with hoods are FLY!

Cheers!

Larry said:

The salesman was more casual, wearing slacks with Campers.

At work (as a software engineer), that is pretty much what I wear, slacks and campers, usually with a t-shirt or tank-top underneath. This seems to be pretty popular on my section of the east coast. Outside of work, I'll wear shorts since it gets pretty darned hot even here in Virginia (It hit over 100 on the 4th!) I also have a pretty decent sized collection of hawiian shirts that I wear quite bit. However, when hiking along the river, I'll just wear a beatup old pair of cut-off shorts and t-shirt (something I don't mind getting dirty/wet in).

I did used to live in the mid-west and I have gone through my fair share of polo's or golf shirts.

I can also relate with Justin. When liviing in PA, we had our own tennis courts and so on, so I did the change after school to play tennis. After tennis, change into something else to hit the swimming pool, change yet into something else to play one of the two 18 hole golf courses just outside the house, yet another outfit for the riding stables (or during the winter, the ski hill), yet another just to hike the wilderness (during winter, x-country skiing) (when you had over 8,000 acres, that is alot of wilderness to hike/ski - most of it pretty darn rugged Smile.gif ) and so forth!.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Rap video's are a guilty pleasure. They always make me laugh- everything is so surreal, yet politically incorrect. I place ghetto fasion in that boat.

I like drinking from Coors Lite from aluminum cans on hot days. I also like single malt scotch, but I really don't understand your post, mobilehomeless.

Larry

Larry - As an ex-NYer myself, we must beware of NY myopia Smile.gif 95% of America does NOT live there! While I agree that there are way too many t-shirts and ball caps in nice restaurants out here, NY fasions would be out of place amid the gazillion golf courses here in sunny Scottsdale, where fashion is dictated by the 115 degree temperature. All in fun!

Doug

------------------

My System

Sknopa

Just to be clear- we are talking about Campers- the shoes right? They are becomming standard here- they go with almost all business casual and weekend clothes but are easy on the feet. Who would have thought bowling shoes with sneaker soles would catch on?

It was a little hasty to lump all Midwest/south together- must be NY tunnel vision setting in. There is a huge difference between Virginia near DC, Miami, or Atlanta and rural Arkansas or Tennessee. Likewise, Chicago is fairly progressive. I suppose not all people outside this area talk, walk, and pick up trends slowly.

Larry

Doug

I am beocming aware of the myopia- I can't relate to many of the things I used to (although I do miss cheap, good beef). American cars, driving 1 block to go to the convienience store, wearing polo's, sub-$1k/mo apartments, no subways, no caribean food, convenient parking, low taxes, cheap prices, etc. are seeming more and more foriegn. I really never considered myself a clothes freak and definitely am not one in this alternate universe. But I have an observation:

Last time I went south, I didn't see hardly any loose weave linen- which has been pretty standard here. I recommend this to everyone that has a job that doesn't involve getting dirty. Yes it wrinkles, but it's the coolest (temerature) stuff out there and really comfortable.

I didn't like logo t-shirts in MO either- especially Tommy Hillfiger. But don't worry, I won't rat any of you out to the fashion police

cwm20.gif

Larry

This message has been edited by lne937s on 07-10-2002 at 02:48 PM

Allan,

Not only am I curious to your response to lynn's question but just what awful color are those curtains? And tell me that is a beach towel on the floor you forgot to pickup and not a throw rug.

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

hey!! i wear those product-industry tee shirts they give away at ces and cedia shows! you should see how my beige/w/hunter green printed 'stereophile-guide to home theater' tee shirt looks w/the khaki wal-mart swim/shorts w/multiple 'trail hiker' pockets. jk-or maybe not...avman.

EDIT:btw-at least i DO tuck the drawstring into the shorts!

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 07-10-2002 at 03:22 PM

Hey avman,

I am with you. My clothes are generally provided by some computer-related vendor hawking something or another. If it weren't for them, I would be relegated to wearing only my 'Marlboro' logoed (sic) clothing.

Frankly, I attempt to spurn clothing whenever possible and generally can be found at all hours wearing nothing but boxers. Hell, I have gone to the store more than a few times in just my boxers and a t-shirt or a bathrobe.

And all this talk about shoes? My God, man, no need for anything other than a pair of k-mart flipflops. You can find them near the rubber beachballs where you will also find high quality beach towels in case your boxers are in the wash.

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

As a Blue Blood Bostonian, I feel one lacks pedigree if his or her cloths are not somewhat threadbare and tattered. And anything that is cheap or free is appropriate, no matter the texture, material or color. So, I object only to the COST of the Klipsch gear, not the tackiness! Smile.gif

I am also painfully aware of NYC Myopia. Uhg. I lived in Manhattan for two years and occassionally found myself succombing to it. RESIST -- FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY! No offense, but no NY-er is more pretentious then the transplanted Midwesterner. One of my closest friends was a dairy farmer from Indiana turned NYC video artist. He and his Vienna-transplant wife are wonderful, but you'd think they INVENTED New York City the way the dress and act.

Of course I'm just a bitter Bostonian, constantly annoyed by being "one-upped" by the Big Apple, so take my rantings with a grain of salt. Sigh . . .

Ok guys, here's the skinny on my living room--

The "thing" sitting on top of the cocktail cabinet between the Cornwalls is one of the great lighting desgins of the 20th C.

http://www.modernliving.com/Pages/taccia.html

The "Beach Towel" is an antique Tibetan "Tiger Rug."

It is sitting on a 12' x 20' 1920's Chinese "Nicholls Rug."

http://www.tiger-tiger.com/catalog/rugs/rugs.html

http://www.cyberrug.com/chineseroom.htm

The Chaise is Le Corbusier

http://www.gazette-drouot.com/gazette/cotes/culte-corbusier.html

The ottomans are by Mies

http://www.knoll.com/products/product.jsp?prod_id=162

Ah, to HELL with it!

Cheers,

Allan

Ain't it funny how all them new yawkers like them Italian thangs to wear? Meanwhile, in Italy, they wear New Balance shoes, Bausch & Lomb Ray Ban sunglasses, Shirts that say Harvard or Yale on them, and Levis?

I wear bib overalls, jeans, or shorts...New Balance shoes(old infantry paratroopers know about how important FEET are!!)...T-shirts in the summer, and heavy flannel shirts or sweatshirts in the winter.

I could care less about fashion...utility and comfort are much more important to me.

Yes, I definitely DO have some very nice clothes, but I only wear them when I am forced to do so! Smile.gif

To each his or her own! Smile.gif

BUT....I still don't look like the home-page "audiophile" (thank GOD!!)...LOL!

See attached pic to see me after getting off the old Beemer and removing my helmet...LOL!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-10-2002 at 04:53 PM

New Balance are huge here too, but people change shoes @ work. I like being able to wear one pair of shoes all day long. I am also lazy, so I buy a lot of flexible clothes and always dress business casual, so I don't have to think about what to wear. The whole fashion thing kind of rubs off on you, whether you want it to or not. Women pay attention to it, and, being single, I try to make a good impression on them.

For all the "envious" Bostonians, at least your basketball and football teams are better. So is your seafood.cwm7.gif

I think being in shape under your clothes is more important for everyone anyway,

Larry

Larry said:

Just to be clear- we are talking about Campers- the shoes right?

I was thinking of the camp shirts (the straight-hemmed buttoned down shirts that are usually worn untucked), which are sometimes refered to as "campers" in this area.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)