sealing gear/speakers in wall from behind

robc1976

Building a new home theater and would like a bit of opinions on sealing the gear/Center speaker in the wall. My theater has a control room behind the front wall the gear/speakers are in and I would like to seal it so no sound goes thru the front wall but still have acess to it from rear. My subs will also be in wall but framed seperate from enclosure, was going to make one big enclosure but decide to have subs seperate.

I am a bit conserned about the amps getting hot from lack of air but on the other hand it is a large space so they should be plenty of air?

In the pics below it is just "mocked up" not framed out, floor in control room being replaced ect LOL!

the enclosure will be framed and I will be using 2X 5/8" Soundbreak drywall with green glue in between and "safe & sound" in enclosure ect. The wall behind control room is concrete & framed, DD W/Green glue ECT if that matters. Gear will have dywall shelves, sides & tops ect.

What I need advice on:

How do I get acess but still retain the sound proofing in the rear? I was thinking doors with a rubber seal but that will be a PITA to make a latch on it and would probably rattle.

I was thinking of makeing a channel that a VERY thick piece of plexiglass could slide in and seal up against back (Barn yard door style) but that would probably echo and also rattle.

Is ther a possible way to seal the gear to the wall from behind and leave back open?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

9p9d.jpg

How about sealing your door with magnetic freezer gaskets. Or firmly compressed rubber gaskets. I don't know what they are called but have seen thick, firm, black gaskets with self adhesive on them that could be used inside the wall and have speakers placed firmly against such gaskets for a seal. I hope you are not planning on using drywall for shelves. I would not trust it to hold stereo gear. If you feel you must have drywall shelves I would recommend using plywood under it. That's just me though. If you know your design will hold, go for it.

John

Edited by Taz
  • Like 1

How about sealing your door with magnetic freezer gaskets. Or firmly compressed rubber gaskets. I don't know what they are called but have seen thick, firm, black gaskets with self adhesive on them that could be used inside the wall and have speakers placed firmly against such gaskets for a seal. I hope you are not planning on using drywall for shelves. I would not trust it to hold stereo gear. If you feel you must have drywall shelves I would recommend using plywood under it. That's just me though. If you know your design will hold, go for it.

John

the drywall will see no weight...the feet of all gear is on a 2X4 contact point. I will say the drywall I am usingsis 1 1/4" thick (5/8" sound break pressed together with green glue in between. I actually put it on a shelf and stood on it lol! Great idea on the seal, will check it out!