1980 La Scala: THANK YOU, snailtrax!

Sancho Panza

Well, that was always my intent. I didn't do that on these, but I have a second pair (one is a clone), that I am still working on. I've opened up the doghouse into the top, and will enclose the backs. I have all the guts for them at this point, but still have to do a bunch of work on them. Money's been a little tight, and we just moved to a new house. Now we have to fix a few things.

Seems like I've been pushing the bass mod for a long time without doing it myself. Hopefully, it will get done before summer.

Bruce

• Like 1

Thought I had seen photos of yours Bruce. Maybe it was someone else in a thread on the risers. Nice looking speakers by the way.

Sancho....the mod I'm thinking about is passive and reversible and adds a little height to the LS. It resembles a small platform the same size as the LS bass bin foot print but maybe 6-8" tall and has pvc tubes the length of the platform. Bruce can probably tell you more and maybe even come up with the thread. Hope so as I am considering it as well.

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link bb. That's not the one I was thinking of. A much simpler mod involving a separate box riser with pvc tubing rings a bell.

IMHO I do think LS bass may be underrated however. I have the 1" cabs though. If you can find a copy.......listen to Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins with Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins, and Max Roach and try to wipe that smile off before you start typing your impressions. Yes I know what the specs say but my ears like what I hear. Many albums are recorded without much bass....not this one.

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link bb. That's not the one I was thinking of. A much simpler mod involving a separate box riser with pvc tubing rings a bell.

IMHO I do think LS bass may be underrated however. I have the 1" cabs though. If you can find a copy.......listen to Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins with Tommy Flanagan, Doug Watkins, and Max Roach and try to wipe that smile off before you start typing your impressions. Yes I know what the specs say but my ears like what I hear. Many albums are recorded without much bass....not this one.

Yes, the simple riser platform one with PVC is the one that I think *Sancho needs.

Thanks

• Like 1

Here a link to the drawing I made.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=36020

The entie thread...

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/91448-la-scala-bass-mod-again/#entry993324

DJK came up with this idea. Pretty much the same size as the top section of an LS. If you like the way it works you can enclose the back of a standard LS, open up the doghouse, and put the ports on the back side.

This is totally reversible. It is passive, although you can add a small filter in between the preamp and power amp, to help even more.

I'm doing that to a second pair of cabs I got a couple of years ago (my projects move very slowly! :unsure: ).

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1