Emotiva vs. Outlaw

fuzzydog

Guys, I'm hoping to replace my little Marantz receiver with separates from either Emotiva or Outlaw Audio. I'm looking for your opinions on whether I should get the:

Emotiva UMC-200 processer with a UPA-700 amp (7x80 watts)

or the:

Outlaw 975 processor with a 7075 amp (7x75 watts)

My system is eventually going to move upstairs when we finish off the bonus room/home theater which will measure about 20'x20'x9' in size. I'm going to add surround (RS62ii's) and rear (RS81ii's) speakers at that time. Will I need more juice than 75-80 watts? I want to do this right this time so I only have to upgrade once.

Thanks in advance for your advice. If all other things are equal i'll probably get the Outlaw combo since the amp is made in America.

God bless and Merry Christmas!

My system is eventually going to move upstairs when we finish off the bonus room/home theater which will measure about 20'x20'x9' in size. I'm going to add surround (RS62ii's) and rear (RS81ii's) speakers at that time. Will I need more juice than 75-80 watts? I want to do this right this time so I only have to upgrade once.

With a full RF-7II setup, I would give it more power. If I were you, I would buy a refurbished near flagship receiver and get a higher powered(125w/ch++) 5-channel amp.

Something like this.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR1010/ONKYO-TX-NR1010-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

with this

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147053-fs-nad-925-thx-125-x-5-price-reduced-50000/

or this very well priced beast.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-b-k-7250-series2-2013-12-21-amplifiers-70764

Maybe more $$$ than you want to spend but I think you may get power envy if you "settle" for 75w/ch.

Bill

• Like 1

With a full RF-7II setup, I would give it more power. If I were you, I would buy a refurbished near flagship receiver and get a higher powered(125w/ch++) 5-channel amp.

Something like this.

or this very well priced beast.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-b-k-7250-series2-2013-12-21-amplifiers-70764

Maybe more $$$ than you want to spend but I think you may get power envy if you "settle" for 75w/ch.

Bill

Great price for the B&K 7250 !

Thanks for all the replies. The Outlaw 975 w/ 7125 amp deal is very tempting!

I'd prefer not to use an AVR for the processor due to how much space they require vs. a dedicated processor and the aesthetic mismatch if the amp was a different brand. The Onkyo TX NR-1010 receiver linked above is about 8" tall while the Outlaw 975 processor is only about 3" tall. It would be nice however to make the switch to separates in two steps…buy the nice AVR now and then add an amp later…

I've been very happy with my Emotiva amp. The build quality is excellent, and the customer service has always been very helpful. From what I've heard Outlaw also makes fine amps. So I don't think you could wrong either way.

Same here, both of my XPA-5's have worked flawlessly and no noise, hum or hiss as others have experienced.

Outlaw has a good reputation and makes some quality gear and USA made is hard to find these days......

Emotiva did announce the new XMC1 will be made in Tennessee as well as their new tube gear. That will be a big plus for the company and may trickle into their amplifier offerings someday.

• Like 1

One thing want to consider op is that perhaps 7/80 or 7/75 is a little lite for 7ii's/64.in a ht situation. I think you really can benefit from headroom in ht because of the nature of the way the sound is delivered... in big spikes and peaks. It's not that you need big power to driver your efficient speakers, but you do need power in instants where special effects require instant power delivery... and headroom helps in that respect.

Outlaw amps are quality. Made by ati amps in usa. Check out their product line which is more expensive as a reference. Outlaw also pairs up their amps with marantz pre-pros if you're familiar with those menus and setup. I would wait till I could afford something on the higher end of the power spec. Or you will be second guessing and looking to sell and upgrade. Hold out for 200 wpc. Then you'll be set for many years.

• Like 1

Everyone always mention the impedace dips of the large Reference speakers but, the surrouns take much more power to hit reference level since they are a lower sensitivity. I like 200 watts amps as my first choice for the Reference line. Gary P is right, you'll be set for many years.

I used to like 200. But now in a 350 kinda guy lol. But on a serious note. 200 watts is where you wanna be. Or more. I lived my emotiva. But if I had more money I would have prolly went with outlaw for the lower gain. I'd go for the 7x200

The new Emotiva amp models now have lower gain.

But it was never a problem for me with my amps anyway, I have an XPA-2 & XPA-5 and have owned an XPA-3 which I sold when I bought my XPA-2. All have had dead silent noise floor and I have been extremely happy with their quality and performance.

I also agree that a minimum of 200w is the way to go, at least for the Klipsch Reference line.

Well true about the new xpa being lower gain. I never had a problem with hiss. Only thing I didn't like was when I had my gear in a smaller room because of the higher gain all my channels were maxed out as low as they can go which throws off reference calibration. Not a problem in a bigger room but was still annoying when I was in that particular situation.

Well true about the new xpa being lower gain. I never had a problem with hiss. Only thing I didn't like was when I had my gear in a smaller room because of the higher gain all my channels were maxed out as low as they can go which throws off reference calibration. Not a problem in a bigger room but was still annoying when I was in that particular situation.

This is one of the many ways attenuators can help in a system, I found a lot of improvements with them.

No need for em now. Hate to spend money on something I KNOW I won't need once my situation improved. I'm now in a bigger room and levels set just fine. And I WILL NOT be buying a house that forces me to be in any smaller room than I am in right now.

Edited by Scrappydue