Emotiva vs. Outlaw

fuzzydog

ive read that a lot of people prefer the emo processor for its extra attributes over the outlaw but i really havent had a good sit down to pit them against one another.

Amp wise, my shift to outlaw was worth the sacrifice in power for smoothness and no irritating noise floor from the XPA-5 i had plus outlaw amps are USA made!

I wish that outlaw had 2 channel amps but their bit is just use multiple monos for stuff. I heard the UPA stuff by emo has amuh quiter noise floor but i cant couch for that. I have their Mini-X and its quiet, no issues there. I'd try to get 100+ watts per channel if you can.

Edited by SuBXeRo

The upa I got had more noise than the xpa. Emo are a great value and a nice upgrade over avr power. But sometimes you get what you pay for is true.

Really???? That is interesting to hear. When i thought my XPA was defunct after troubleshooting a million different things, I sent it in to be benched and it came back within specs which told me it was amp design. Did you have them test your UPA?

The upa I got had more noise than the xpa. Emo are a great value and a nice upgrade over avr power. But sometimes you get what you pay for is true.

Really???? That is interesting to hear. When i thought my XPA was defunct after troubleshooting a million different things, I sent it in to be benched and it came back within specs which told me it was amp design. Did you have them test your UPA?
No I returned it. My xpa out of box had it too (not as bad). But I was able to get it out runing the power to another outlet. I tried that in the upa but didn't do anything for it.

I know a lot if people have no issues with them so maybe my room is part of it. But my b&k has just a fant bit if hiss that you can barley hear with your ear right next to it.

Edited by reference_head

But my b&k has just a fant bit if hiss that you can barley hear with ear right next to it.

Send it back :tongue:

None of my xpa or upa amps had any noise. I had two different xpa-5's 3 different xpa-2's one upa-2 and 5 upa-1's. All silent.

Yes it's strange.

It happens though. My buddy went through 3 xbox 360 in a span of less than two years. I probably play twice as much as him and mine ran forever tell a few months ago. I know others who had major problems too and some who never did.

Crazy sh..

I've been getting nervous reading this thread as my wife got me an XPA 5 (gen 2) for Christmas that I've had for several weeks wrapped up but couldn't set up until last night due to endless toy assembly for the kids. I finally got it set up late last night, and I'm very very happy so far. No hum/noise and everything sounds great. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to hear a difference, but I noticed a marked improvement. Far more than I expected. I'll try to post some pictures this weekend and some additional feedback once I've rerun audessey.

I've been getting nervous reading this thread as my wife got me an XPA 5 (gen 2) for Christmas that I've had for several weeks wrapped up but couldn't set up until last night due to endless toy assembly for the kids. I finally got it set up late last night, and I'm very very happy so far. No hum/noise and everything sounds great. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to hear a difference, but I noticed a marked improvement. Far more than I expected. I'll try to post some pictures this weekend and some additional feedback once I've rerun audessey.

No need to worry, Emotiva's amps are rock solid and very reliable. I've had my XPA-5 and XPA-2 for over six years now. I got them on sale during the holidays back then and only paid $1300 for both if I'm not mistaken. They are not dead silent but you can't hear anything once a movie has started so to me it's not an issue. The new gen XPA is quite a bit quieter than the older one too.

• Like 1

My XPA-2, XPA-5 I currently own as well as the XPA-3 I had all are completely silent and have excellent sound quality and performance. I have excellent hearing and I am very picky about unwanted noise floor and my amps are dead silent.

I think Emotiva amps are excellent and compare very well with amps costing much much more.

It seems to be hit or miss. I had bought a Zed Audio Leviathan class D amp for my car and i talked to the owner and engineer many times about the amp and how quiet it was. I hooked it up in my car and chased a "ground noise" for days to finally bench it in an isolated environment to find it was the amp itself making noise. I then bought another Zed Audio, a Draconia and it had the same noise. The owner says when he makes a design he sticks his ear up to a speaker to test the ground noise and he says he doesn't hear anything......Well, I could hear them with a generic tweeter from several feet away. This tells me he can't hear the noise or this is "quiet" to him or there is a production issue. I have sensitive ears and pick up on noise so easily.

I know emotiva makes a good product and they have some kick *** service. Audio is hit and miss sometimes, unit to unit. Its a good thing they have good return and repair policies. I would love a chance to test a new XPA-5 Gen 2 to see how it compares but i don't think it would sway me to ditch the outlaw even if it was dead silent.