HDMI Dropping out?

babadono

Hi All,

In the past month or so my HT will lose both sound and picture momentarily and then come back up after a few seconds. Happens with both the satellite receiver or blu ray player. Any one have any experience with this problem? Everything is hooked up over HDMI. Am I just losing HDMI sync? How do you go about troubleshooting this? I am relatively new to the HT stuff but not to Klipsch.

Thanks in advance,

babadono

Schu,

From my searching on the internet I'm getting the same unerstanding that I may have a hanshaking problem with the HDMI connections. That is what I meant in my original post about losing sync. So what do I do to troubleshoot or fix this problem? Just try replacing the cables?

babadono

Ok Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Both sources, Sat TV and Blu ray do the same. So I know it is the AVR or TV or the cables betweenst them. Just don't have a spare TV or AVR, LOL.

I work with serial and ethernet communications equipment and we have ways (test equipmnet/ computer programs etc..)of sniffing out problems like this with that type of gear. Seems like HDMI should have the same type of stuff, make it a little more scientific.

but babadono

Hdmi are very sensitive. I had a long talk about this with panamax when my house was struck by lightning. I'm still having handshake issues on one of my receivers but I know that the board is faulty on 2 inputs. Try plugging the devices directly into the tv. If that checks good Then it might be the avr. If the issue still happens try all the inputs on the tv. If the issue still happens then it might be the source. Check all inputs in the tv. Could just be one of them. Remove as much from the chain as possible to simplify it is the easiest way to track the issue. Hope this helps.

For what it's worth . . .

For years, yes - YEARS - I've had a problem with HDMI related dropouts with my setup.

NO dropouts when watching blu-rays on my Oppo (HDMI to RX-Z7 & HDMI to Panasonic TCP-65V10 display), and NO dropouts when watching a DVD from my Sony 400-disc changer (component to RX-Z7), but consistently having issues when watching SD or HD cable programs through my Comcast SA8300HDC STB (HDMI to RX-Z7). If I told you everything I've tried to cure this you wouldn't believe me. BUT, I hated the thought of leaving the one-cable connection world.

After spending MORE money changing all of my HDMI cables over to the Monoprice "Redmere" cables with no luck, I was just about to throw in the towel. Did a LOT more reading on AVS Forums and decided to double-check the video settings on my RX-Z7 one last time. Ah-hah! I switched the "HDMI-to-HDMI" video signal processing setting from "Processing" to "Through".

Voila! So far so good, and it's been nearly a week since I made the change. Still keeping my fingers crossed, but I believe it's truly fixed now! Whew!

So far the handshake issue on my projector seems to be a thing of the past. The only issue I have now is I have a sound issue that seems to replicate the old handshake issue. Instead of getting a flash and video loss now I get volume that temporarily drops for a split second. Most might not even knotice it but I do.

hey all,

I looked at my HDMI cables over Christmas and noticed the one from the AVR to the TV was/is maybe a tad too short and too heavy to stay in the connectors nice and solid. Anyway I reseated it and my problem has gone away for the time being. I am hesitating to buy a longer one until I get a new media console (supposed to be delivered today) and find out just exactly how long it needs to be. Seems to me like these HDMI connectors need a locking mechanism or strain relief/support. I am going to try and jury rig something when I set up the new console.

Anyone have any opinions on the "redmere" or any other active HDMI cables?

babadono