Home theater design/build thread reboot 2018

The Dude

Quick question on zone lighting, all so how do I go about putting links to my pictures in my sig so it is more accessible to some. Last time I tried the link works but its not worded right.

So if you could help me make sure I understand this right. If I have 4 zones, which in my case my sconces will be 1 zone, my pendant lights will be another zone, and my can lights will be divided between 2 zones, one in the back and one in the front. So I would just wire the 4 individual zones to their own individual switch. Then it would depend on the module, and program I have for either my tab, or computer or possible remote.

• Moderators

Looks like a big horn behind one of the barstools. :o I really like that counter with stools facing the screen, very convenient for extra seating. What about some swivels on the stools so people can swivel sideways to see the screen at times or for those at the counter to face the bar.

Cool overall design

Will you be using dimmers ?

If not you could always wire your cans to light the important areas on one switch then the rest on another for more lighting options rather front & back of the room.

Yes I will, I was looking at Insteon, or Lutron.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I not to much to update, but I have some can lights in and will be installing more tonight. Along with some other electrical boxes, I was going to install 3/4" conduit for future hdmi cables, however I found that is to small, so I will see if 1" will work and is cost effective.

As I plan on having my gear stored in the closet, is there a good way to cool that area. I was thinking of just running a small air duct over there, if I do that do I need some sort of fan to move things around or a vent to release air.

Well I not to much to update, but I have some can lights in and will be installing more tonight. Along with some other electrical boxes, I was going to install 3/4" conduit for future hdmi cables, however I found that is to small, so I will see if 1" will work and is cost effective.

As I plan on having my gear stored in the closet, is there a good way to cool that area. I was thinking of just running a small air duct over there, if I do that do I need some sort of fan to move things around or a vent to release air.

Air duct may work fine in the summer, but blow heat in the winter. Vents top and bottom of the closet will do a lot of good.

It doesn't take much of a fan to keep the air circulating unless the space is super tight. An A/C booster fan would work well. You can get 4", 5", 6" etc. They are 120V and connect directly into ductwork. You could trigger it when you turn on the amp or put a thermal sensor in the closet. They are not to loud, but if you are sitting near the closet I wouldn't want to run it full speed. I have had good luck running them through dimmer switches so they run at half speed.

I like the booster fans because you can just connect it directly to the boot to fit the air grate size you choose and you are done.

ACV_9000.jpg

Are you wanting lights you can control with an IR or RF remote or with smart phone/web browser?

Will you be using dimmers ?

If not you could always wire your cans to light the important areas on one switch then the rest on another for more lighting options rather front & back of the room.

Yes I will, I was looking at Insteon, or Lutron.

Another option is to mount a fart fan on the ceiling vented to another room & a vent for fresh air to enter the closet.

I picked one up last night and mounted it like you mentioned. I don't know if the inline ones wake mentioned are quiter but will have to find out. I will be using a therma stat to control it. We will see how it works when the time comes.

I don't know if the inline ones wake mentioned are quiter but will have to find out. I will be using a therma stat to control it. We will see how it works when the time comes.

Depends on which one you get. You should mount it on the utility room end of the line so it sucks air from the far end. Flex tubing will transfer less sound than hard wall.

You can slow it down with a resistor or a dimmer switch permanently set. They have way more CFM than most fart fans.

In my last house that is the way I cooled my equipment room... I also used a thermostat control for it. I can't remember where I got it but it had a rotary dial on it and I just dialed it in to the temp i wanted. It mounted in a conventional wall switch box too.