What cha get for Christmas?

RickFL

I had one of the best Christmas' ever this year:

1. Time with family. :smile:

2. A new job to start 2014 off with. :emotion-19:

3. A new SVS SB12-NSD subwoofer from my beloved mother. :emotion-25:

4. After selling enough things to purchase it, I just ordered a new Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver. B)

Since getting the sub last week, I needed something with bass management. I was previously using an R-S700 stereo receiver, and while it had a sub out, it had zero bass management, and was not ideal. Plus, it has a few other features that I needed/wanted: Digital out connection, good quality DAC's with opt/coax inputs, and HD radio.

Yamaha-RX-A1020.jpg

Edited by Rick
  • Like 3

Rick nice Christmas. How much did the Yamaha set you back? We've only 4 HD Radio Stations, & 2 of them are National Peoples Radio, but I like.

The best price I could find was $799 shipped (World Wide Stereo through Amazon), or $400 off original price since it has been replaced by the 1030. I have been looking at several others in the past week including the Marantz SR6007, Sherwood Newcastle R-972, and Onkyo TX-NR809, and a couple others.

The Sherwood scared me away with all the bugs it appears to have, and it didn't have a phono input, though it was a great deal @ $499 shipped. The Onkyo was also $499 shipped, but I am too scared to purchase any recent Onkyo, with all the HDMI board failures they've been having. The Marantz was closest to the Yamaha as far as price ($699 refurb from A4L) and features I wanted. I ultimately chose the Yamaha, because I'm a huge fan of their gear, as they are (IMO) some of the best looking, well built, EXTREMELY RELIABLE, and excellent sounding receivers ever built. I've owned more Yammies than I can recall, and they've never let me down.

I was also willing to go used to save some cash, but couldn't find anything that blew me away on Audiogon or Craigslist, and I don't have an Ebay/PayPal account. Besides, I like the piece of mind of having something new, with a warranty.

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

My 1st Receiver was a Yamaha; wish I still had it, was working when I gave it away.

Have 2 Denons now; both had to go back for repairs. 1st Denon worked until Lightning got it...

Still using Sony I replaced it with.

I've had a couple of Denons as well: AVR-3801 & AVR-3310CI. I really liked those as well, they both sounded great, and also never let me down, though I didn't own the 3310 for all that long, and I have read where those have had HDMI board issues as well.

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

My 1st Receiver was a Yamaha; wish I still had it, was working when I gave it away.

Have 2 Denons now; both had to go back for repairs. 1st Denon worked until Lightning got it...

Still using Sony I replaced it with.

I've had a couple of Denons as well: AVR-3801 & AVR-3310CI. I really liked those as well, they both sounded great, and also never let me down, though I didn't own the 3310 for all that long, and I have read where those have had HDMI board issues as well.

I like my denon AVR 3801 so much I bought a second one for another system. Great 7.1 with pre outs And inputs for the oppo 103.

i got some gun accessories, a few michael buble cd's, a couple blu rays. most of all i enjoyed watching my son open presents. he seems to be growing up so fast. its crazy. cant wait till he is about 6 or 7 and i can buy him his first set of speakers. IF he shows interest in the hobby that is. merry christmas everyone

I got exploding targets. Whoo Hoo! I love things that go BANG! Son and Grandson here for the day. Son and I built model rockets of my own design. One came apart in the air and the rocket motors powered into the ground 2 feet from my feet. Another seperated in the air and motors went in all directions. Great fun and none of the neighbors complained today.

Now when I start shooting my exploding targets, I'll probably get complaints again. But since they are not legal on Federal property I will just have shoot them at home. :D