What cha get for Christmas?

RickFL

I didn't get anything for Christmas, but my wife and I moved to a new (to us) house, much closer to work for bth of us. We did well nough on the sale to pay off the new house and replace our 20+ year old appliances (washer/dyrer and stove). Still working the kinks out of getting everthing unpacked, audio set up... :blink:

We're happy. New grandson this Fall, what more can you ask for?

Bruce

• Like 1

I told my wife I really didn't want everything this year as I'll be buying a saw in the next couple weeks. I gave each of my 3 children one inexpensive gift idea that they could get me as they were going to get me something whether I wanted anything or not.

It sounds corny but I really get the most enjoyment out of the act of giving presents. I love it when my son in-law said "boy, I never expected THAT", or when my son has no idea what's in a box. He normally thinks he has everything figured out by holding a gift and shaking it. To surprise him and then have it be something he REALLY likes but wasn't on his Christmas is the best feeling ever.

• Like 1

I got nothin' and liked it.

I used to say that Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday because Christmas was too stressful. My last few Christmases have been great and Christmas is now on par with Thanksgiving.

Seriously, I did not get anything this year and it was a great Christmas. No stress at all. We agreed with the relatives that have everything and are difficult to shop for not to exchange gifts, but rather have a nice get together. So the stress of what to get them was gone and we had a great dinner that my wife and I cooked. And a great evening.

And I had a great time shopping this year for other people and everyone really like their gifts. I got to cheat some because the gifts for my wife were kitchen things that we both use. The really fun one is my father in law. He welds, and I got him a good helmet and leathers.

I also finally made the decision to stop with the Hallmark cards. I got to see what Hallmark pays for their leases this year and when it came time to buy cards, I finally said no more. I cannot contribute $40 for a bunch of cards so Hallmark float an expensive store and make a fortune. $6 each nowadays for a card that will barely be read then thrown away in a few days. We used some packages of Christmas cards that are blank on the inside and wrote out our own words. Everyone was happy.

• Like 1

I didn't get anything for Christmas, but my wife and I moved to a new (to us) house, much closer to work for bth of us. We did well nough on the sale to pay off the new house and replace our 20+ year old appliances (washer/dyrer and stove). Still working the kinks out of getting everthing unpacked, audio set up... :blink:

We're happy. New grandson this Fall, what more can you ask for?

Bruce

Great news Bruce, congrats!!

That's awesome! I ended up with the coolest tape measure for Christmas the same way. I happened to comment on it to my wife. the tape measure is used to find the center of measured objects. The top scale is basically a normal tape measure. The bottom scale is a 1/2 scale tape measure. You measure the object normally with the top scale. Let's say it's 23" long. You look on the bottom scale for 23" and that's your center! I can think of countless times in the past where it would have come in handy.

A few months back I finally threw in the towel fighting my old computer (crappy a-bit motherboard) so I started over from the ground up. The new machine has Win7 Pro 64-bit which means I had to spend just as much on perifferals as well as a new sound card worthy of a system I would own. Got the printer to work but had to buy a new UPS.

But my beloved bought the last major part, a Canon Canoscan F9000 mkII scanner. THANK YOU DEAR!!

In return I got her hooked on Rookwood pottery (didn't help that the factory/studios are here in town.

A few months back I finally threw in the towel fighting my old computer (crappy a-bit motherboard) so I started over from the ground up. The new machine has Win7 Pro 64-bit which means I had to spend just as much on perifferals as well as a new sound card worthy of a system I would own. Got the printer to work but had to buy a new UPS.

But my beloved bought the last major part, a Canon Canoscan F9000 mkII scanner. THANK YOU DEAR!!

In return I got her hooked on Rookwood pottery (didn't help that the factory/studios are here in town.

Glad you got the printer to work. ;)

I used to have an Abit MB. The thing worked flawlessly, but it was a 386sx board. Only had 8 meg of ram... Those were the days.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel