please help. surprise gift for my boyfriend

asica335

Hi everyone, I coming to you all for some help regarding surround sound . My boyfriend and I purchased a home together which has a very large family room. It measures 24" by 24" by 14". I would like to surprise him by purchasing the surround sound system for him. He has been reading reviews for many days now and still hasn't made any decisions yet. I always see him reading about Klipsch, so I know this is where I should be. I know he wants an In-wall 7.2 system. Due to the built in cabinets in the room there is no room for floor standing speakers. I know he is liking the Reference series In walls. He always buys the higher end of anything, so I'll have to do the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

If I was doing an in-wall system then i would be getting the THX Ultra 2 line.

There is not much info on the in-wall speakers at first glance but if you download the brochure there is a lot more info.

I havent heard them in person but that is the system that i would audition first.

regards

Paul

I have heard a couple of in walls before from the reference line and wasn't very impressed with em. But I guess if you don't have room for anything else it's what you gotta go with. I'd see if you can demo either the thx ultra or the reference line any where around you. I'd also say for the price difference of the in walls id just stick with the reference line. Good luck on your search. He has good taste. Make sure if you buy in walls you buy a good sub to fill in the low end. I'd steer away from Klipsch for that. Go with Svs or hsu or some other internet dealer.

Hi everyone, I coming to you all for some help regarding surround sound . My boyfriend and I purchased a home together which has a very large family room. It measures 24" by 24" by 14". I would like to surprise him by purchasing the surround sound system for him. He has been reading reviews for many days now and still hasn't made any decisions yet. I always see him reading about Klipsch, so I know this is where I should be. I know he wants an In-wall 7.2 system. Due to the built in cabinets in the room there is no room for floor standing speakers. I know he is liking the Reference series In walls. He always buys the higher end of anything, so I'll have to do the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Welcome to the forum. If he buys the high end of everything, then in wall/ceiling is not the way to go. They are in a different class. For that size room, you should be looking at an RF-7 II system with a couple of extra RS-62 II's. As stated before, you should consider a sub from a different manufacturer. In a room that size, two subs would be best. A pair of SVS PB-13 Ultra's would be best.

Sorry if that is not what you were hoping to hear, but I am being honest.

Edited by mustang guy

Welcome to the forum. If he buys the high end of everything, then in wall/ceiling is not the way to go. They are in a different class. For that size room, you should be looking at an RF-7 II system. As stated before, you should consider a sub from a different manufacturer. In a room that size, two subs would be best. A pair of SVS PB-13 Ultra's would be best.

Sorry if that is not what you were hoping to hear, but I am being honest.

just so we are clear here, stating that two Svs PB-13 ultras would be best is very untrue. That would be Svs best to offer. Diy would be best. Next in line would be some large beast subs like JTR orbit shifter or S2 then something like the seaton submersive. Any of those subs will destroy an Svs. But at a higher price.

Danleys would be cool. Now were talking. I also agree on a much larger set than anything in walls will be capable of. You will be underwhelmed for the amount you will spend after installing them I think. In my honest opinion. How about a budget? What are you willing to spend?

As cool as it is for you to buy him a home theater. It might be a good idea to involve him in the buying. I know you want to surprise him but one of the best parts of this hobby is building your theater by buying the pieces setting them up and hearing what you created. Plus if he has spent time on here he probably has some good info on what to buy.

It is awesome that your doing this by the way. Im sure we can help you spend your money :D

Edited by reference_head

If you want to really impress him, look up waf factor.

:)

yeah look it up, then disregard it. Lol. Go for the cinema series. Few kpt-942 across the front. Couple vb-12 on the side. And of course the new folded horn Klipsch sub. That should make for the craziest experience of either of yours lives. Edited by Scrappydue

asica what is your budget? the Gallery line with some nice in-wall speakers and some in the ceiling may appeal to both of you. I would definetly run it by him before the final purchase. A pic of the room would be great to see.

As cool as it is for you to buy him a home theater. It might be a good idea to involve him in the buying. I know you want to surprise him but one of the best parts of this hobby is building your theater by buying the pieces setting them up and hearing what you created. Plus if he has spent time on here he probably has some good info on what to buy.

It is awesome that your doing this by the way. Im sure we can help you spend your money :D

I definitely agree on this. Your intentions are fantastic, but he needs to be involved in the purchase. He might have some idiosyncratic goals

The attached pic is one side of the room before we renovated, its from the real estate listing. Regarding a budget I would like to be around the 6K mark for speakers. Thank you all for the help.

TV will be above fireplace. To the left of the skinny window is built in cabinetry which will flow underneath the window and connect to the fireplace jog. Same on opposite side that you cannot see. He was planning to install the Front speakers in between the skinny window and the fireplace jog.

TV will be above fireplace. To the left of the skinny window is built in cabinetry which will flow underneath the window and connect to the fireplace jog. Same on opposite side that you cannot see. He was planning to install the Front speakers in between the skinny window and the fireplace jog.

I am guessing that the right side of the fireplace is symmetrical with the left side. One concern with in wall speakers would be how recessed back from not only the center speaker but the TV itself. How far out is the fireplace jog from the wall with the skinny window?

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Bill