Duratex?

DizRotus

I'll be using the Duratex Trial Kit I got from Santa to finish my MDF "iPod Dock on steroids" in black. If all goes well, I'll buy more to finish 2 Anarchy Tapped Horn subs.

The Duratex instructions say primer isn't necessary, but go on to warn against painting over wood putty and other fillers. I'm concerned about using Duratex directly over Bondo used to fill holes, as well as over glue (Titebond) in seams. The ATH subs will be glued with Loctite PL Premium. I'm thinking that priming the MDF and plywood, as well as various glues and fillers is the best way to go.

Do those with Duratex have opinions regarding whether to prime over sealers, glue, etc.? I sent an email to Duratex, but haven't yet received a reply.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by DizRotus

I used Duratex on my Lab 12 build, and it turned out nice. I used the plain white vinyl spackle they recommended to fill screw holes, and did not have any problems. I did notice that the Duratex did not cover as well, where there was any glue residue from the PL glue I used had been wiped off. This was on the inside and did not affect my results. I would use vinyl spackle to fill, and sand any excess glue spots off. Vinyl spackle shrinks as it dries, so you may have to do some spots several times. If you have a thick spot of spackle,just give it plenty of time to dry and check for shrinkage. If you need to use a primer, use the one they recommend. Bill

• Like 1

Sorry but I wouldn't do it without primer such as Zinsser Bulls Eye 123. It's going to cost you a few bucks and 15 minutes to make sure you have great adhesion everywhere and it's not like you're priming a piano because you'll be applying texture over it. I just finished doing my Cornwalls (was stained birch and now black) and a set of KP250's and 0 problems applying paint after scuffing, bondo, and primer. I have Duratex coming to put on 3 subs and though I'll probably shoot it with a hopper gun, I'm still doing the exact same process and they will be primed first.........................but that's just me. Let us know how it turns out.

snailtrax and Pete H-

Thanks for the prompt and informative replies.

I'll use vinyl spackle going forward, rather than Bondo or the like.

To avoid problems with Duratex adhering to Bondo, PL or other glue, I'll first use quality primer. Photos and impressions will follow.

The key for this stuff and others like it staying put is to seal and prime the MDF. If not will will likely start to peal away in a few years, depending on moisture and temp changes.

If you don't intend on having what you are finishing out for more than that amount of time then don't worry about the sealing and priming. Black sandable primer after sealing is best.

The key for this stuff and others like it staying put is to seal and prime the MDF. If not will will likely start to peal away in a few years, depending on moisture and temp changes.

If you don't intend on having what you are finishing out for more than that amount of time then don't worry about the sealing and priming. Black sandable primer after sealing is best.

+1 and you should really seal all sides and ends or it will not last, just go look at decks that are only sealed and stained on the top, in a few years the wood will blow itself apart as the moisture levels change in the wood, but you will have to determine what your time and effort is worth with regards to protecting the investment for the long haul. Isn't it time for some pictures?

http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

Scroll down and read. I don't get what everyone primes still for?

Primer will hide bondo patches better than a coat of Duratex alone allowing a better looking finish without having to apply 2 coats.

Primer will also show defects in surface that still need attention before you topcoat.

Primer is cheap why not use it, its made to adhere your topcoat to surface material.

+1 and you should really seal all sides and ends or it will not last, just go look at decks that are only sealed and stained on the top, in a few years the wood will blow itself apart as the moisture levels change in the wood, but you will have to determine what your time and effort is worth with regards to protecting the investment for the long haul. Isn't it time for some pictures?

Photos will be available soon.

Due to the Bondo, I will prime. The makers of Duratex say priming isn't necessary on bare wood, but they also warn against applying over wood putty. Bondo or other 2-part fillers aren't mentioned. To be safe, I'll use black primer before applying Duratex.