Old Vinyl

SonicSeeker

I do not have nor can I afford a record cleaning machine at this time so what would be the best way to clean them.

For serious dirt I have for decades used a bit of Ivory liquid (seriously) dishwashing detergent in warm water, a baby wash cloth moving lightly with the grooves, good rinse under running water, and dab dry with a chamois or lint-free cloth. Works beautifully and costs nothing. Works for 78s just as well.

I use a non-treated Swiffer for dusting otherwise clean records before playing...again cheap and better than most audio products sold for this purpose.

Dave

One of the best inexpensive manual cleaning systems is Disc Doctor. This is a manual cleaning method, so not as fast or efficient as a vacuum record cleaning machine, but the Disc Doctor cleaning fluids and brushes are very well made. Disc Doctor makes cleaning fluids and brushes for LPs and also early shellac records, too. It's great stuff.

http://discdoc.com/

The best cleaning method is a vacuum record cleaning machine. They simply do the best job and the results are very impressive. You can pick up a used VPI 16.5 at reasonable prices. This machine has been in production for more than 30 years and remains a favorite of vinyl enthusiasts; it's a rugged product that works extremely well. These pre-owned machines show up on Audiogon occasionally, so you can get a good deal on one.

http://vpiindustries.com/clean-hw165.htm

Cheers!