Louis Armstrong

Sancho Panza

any "Satchmo" fans out there? I am looking for info on a definitive collection on CD.

I have a couple of Greatest Hits CDs, Plays W.C. Handy, Disney Songs the Satchmo Way, plus "Saints" & "Kiss of Fire" from other albums. But, the horns sound so good on my brand new, at least 3d hand La Scalas.

Any CD recommendations?

• Like 1

It's hard to pick just one Louis Armstrong set. :wacko:

This is a good one.....

51o3l2L66DL._SS400_.jpg

The Essential Louis Armstrong -- 2 CD Set

Louis Armstrong

2004 Columbia Legacy

Pops-- The king of jazz trumpet, March 1, 2007
By Annie Van Auken (Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

This review is from: Essential Louis Armstrong (Audio CD)

THE ESSENTIAL LOUIS ARMSTRONG is a sweeping overview of THE most influential jazz musician of the 20th Century. Disc one contains Armstrong's New Orleans-styled electrical recordings of the late '20's (note that he had made some acoustic horn stuff prior), while the second CD continues the early sides until midway through, and then offers brief glimpses of Satchmo's career from 1938 to '67.

To mention a single outstanding example, Armstrong's early beautiful tone is clearly evident on his trumpet intro to 1928's "West End Blues," as is his fine scat voice. Beyond that track, all of disc one is certain to be a revelation to those only familiar with Louis' "Hello Dolly" pop-type tunes.

Mastering of the antique 78s in particular is remarkable-- they all sound great! THE ESSENTIAL LOUIS ARMSTRONG is a set that belongs in everyone's collection, not just jazz afficionados. Buy with confidence!

TOTAL RUNNING TIMES --
DISC ONE -- 57:53
DISC TWO -- 63:33

Track listing

DISC 1:
1. Sugar Foot Stomp
2. Cake Walking Babies (From Home)
3. Pickin' on Your Baby
4. Heebie Jeebies
5. Willie the Weeper
6. Potato Head Blues
7. West End Blues
8. Basin Street Blues
9. Beau Koo Jack
10. St. James Infirmary
11. Tight Like This
12. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
13. Ain't Misbehavin'
14. Black and Blue
15. That Rhythm Man
16. St. Louis Blues
17. Bessie Couldn't Help It
18. I'm Confessin'

DISC 2:
1. Memories of You
2. Shine
3. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
4. Blue Again
5. You Rascal You
6. When It's Sleepy Time Down South
7. Lazy River
8. Stardust
9. Georgia on My Mind
10. Shadrack
11. On the Sunny Side of the Street
12. When the Saints Go Marching In
13. Rockin' Chair
14. Blueberry Hill
15. Mack the Knife
16. Aunt Hagar's Blues
17. Honeysuckle Rose
18. Fine Romance, A
19. What a Wonderful World

I also recommend this set from the "Ken Burns" Documentary (which is fantastic... yes.gif )...

519ahd-EoTL._SS500_.jpg

Ken Burns Jazz -- CD

Louis Armstrong

2000 Columbia Legacy

Amazon.com

For much of his life, Louis Armstrong was the embodiment of jazz for millions of people, both a great creative artist and a beloved popular entertainer. Whether playing trumpet or singing, adding his own definitive touch to a ballad or spearheading a hot New Orleans-style band, Armstrong was a uniquely compelling figure. It's hard to compress such a career into a single CD, but this one includes many of the milestones, reaching back to 1923 for "Chime Blues" with Armstrong playing in the band of his mentor, King Oliver. At the opposite end of Armstrong's life is 1967's "What a Wonderful World," which only became famous decades after it was recorded. In between are the creative peaks, including a good sampling of Armstrong's Hot Five and Hot Seven bands from the late 1920s--the most influential of his recordings--and a superb small-group version of "Old Rockin' Chair" from 1947. Armstrong's 1931 version of Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust" retains its special luster seven decades later, and there's also a good selection of trademark hits from his later career, like "Mack the Knife" and "Hello, Dolly!" --Stuart Broomer

Track Listing
1. Chimes Blues
2. Cake Walking Babies (from Home)
3. Heebie Jeebies
4. Potato Head Blues
5. West End Blues
6. Tight Like This
7. Mahogany Hall Stomp
8. Ain't Misbehavin'
9. Black and Blue
10. St. Louis Blues
11. When It's Sleepy Time Down South
12. Blue Again
13. Lazy River
14. Chinatown, My Chinatown
15. Stardust
16. Shadrack
17. I Double Dare You
18. When the Saints Go Marching In
19. Marie
20. Rockin' Chair
21. Blueberry Hill
22. Mack the Knife
23. Fine Romance, A
24. Hello, Dolly!
25. What a Wonderful World

....and this is essential (IMHO), not for the trumpet playing but for the Sweet sound of Ella and the Gravelly sound of Satchmo's voice. It is one of my desert island picks.....

f55351c88da037dcc2051210.L.jpg

Ella & Louis --

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong

1956/ 1989 Verve Records

Ella and Louis, February 9, 2011
By Nikica Gilic - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ella & Louis (Audio CD)

Now this one is a no-brainer:
EVERYBODY knows by now how great idea was teaming Ella (at her peak) and Louis (close enough to his peak) on this album,
with a killer back-up group lead by Oscar Peterson at his rhythmiest (yes, I know it's not a real word). I'm writing about the original CD from the early 2000s I bought, not about SACD (where the review will apparently, also end up), so I can't talk about the technological finesse of this edition... I'm just claiming this is a beautiful jazz album, happily matched only by Ella and Louis Again, another masterpiece. Groveling expressiveness of Louis' voice is matched beautifully with the melodic brilliance of Ella's jubilant voice and the rest is history.

Side One:

"Can't We Be Friends?" (Paul James, Kay Swift) – 3:45
"Isn't This a Lovely Day?" (Irving Berlin) – 6:14
"Moonlight in Vermont" (John Blackburn, Karl Suessdorf) – 3:40
"They Can't Take That Away from Me" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 4:36
"Under a Blanket of Blue" (Jerry Livingston, Al J. Neiburg, Marty Symes) – 4:16
"Tenderly" (Walter Gross, Jack Lawrence) - 5:05

Side Two:

"A Foggy Day" (G. Gershwin, I. Gershwin) – 4:31
"Stars Fell on Alabama" (Mitchell Parish, Frank Perkins) – 3:32
"Cheek to Cheek" (Berlin) – 5:52
"The Nearness of You" (Hoagy Carmichael, Ned Washington) – 5:40
"April in Paris" (Vernon Duke, Yip Harburg) – 6:39

I was fortunate to find an original "Mono" copy..... blue.gif

EllaLouis.jpg

I hope this helps,

Dennie

• Like 2

Dennie, once again you make excellent selections! I think I got some of these because of you! I would add Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - "The Great Summit." "The Making of the Great Summit" is fun too!

Some of the older recordings on the Ken Burns JAZZ CD sound pretty old but it is a nice collection. The "Definitive Collection" is OK but my favorites (and decent sound) so far are "Ella and Louis" and the "Great Summit"

• Like 1

This is a good one.....

51o3l2L66DL._SS400_.jpg

Louis Armstrong

2004 Columbia Legacy

THE ESSENTIAL LOUIS ARMSTRONG is a sweeping overview of THE most influential jazz musician of the 20th Century. Disc one contains Armstrong's New Orleans-styled electrical recordings of the late '20's (note that he had made some acoustic horn stuff prior), while the second CD continues the early sides until midway through, and then offers brief glimpses of Satchmo's career from 1938 to '67.

To mention a single outstanding example, Armstrong's early beautiful tone is clearly evident on his trumpet intro to 1928's "West End Blues," as is his fine scat voice. Beyond that track, all of disc one is certain to be a revelation to those only familiar with Louis' "Hello Dolly" pop-type tunes.

Mastering of the antique 78s in particular is remarkable-- they all sound great! THE ESSENTIAL LOUIS ARMSTRONG is a set that belongs in everyone's collection, not just jazz afficionados. Buy with confidence!

TOTAL RUNNING TIMES --

Track listing

DISC 1:

1. Sugar Foot Stomp

3. Pickin' on Your Baby

4. Heebie Jeebies

5. Willie the Weeper

6. Potato Head Blues

7. West End Blues

8. Basin Street Blues

9. Beau Koo Jack

10. St. James Infirmary

11. Tight Like This

13. Ain't Misbehavin'

14. Black and Blue

15. That Rhythm Man

16. St. Louis Blues

18. I'm Confessin'

DISC 2:

1. Memories of You

2. Shine

4. Blue Again

5. You Rascal You

7. Lazy River

8. Stardust

9. Georgia on My Mind

10. Shadrack

13. Rockin' Chair

14. Blueberry Hill

15. Mack the Knife

16. Aunt Hagar's Blues

17. Honeysuckle Rose

18. Fine Romance, A

I also recommend this set from the "Ken Burns" Documentary (which is fantastic... yes.gif )...

519ahd-EoTL._SS500_.jpg

Ken Burns Jazz -- CD

Louis Armstrong

2000 Columbia Legacy

Amazon.com

For much of his life, Louis Armstrong was the embodiment of jazz for millions of people, both a great creative artist and a beloved popular entertainer. Whether playing trumpet or singing, adding his own definitive touch to a ballad or spearheading a hot New Orleans-style band, Armstrong was a uniquely compelling figure. It's hard to compress such a career into a single CD, but this one includes many of the milestones, reaching back to 1923 for "Chime Blues" with Armstrong playing in the band of his mentor, King Oliver. At the opposite end of Armstrong's life is 1967's "What a Wonderful World," which only became famous decades after it was recorded. In between are the creative peaks, including a good sampling of Armstrong's Hot Five and Hot Seven bands from the late 1920s--the most influential of his recordings--and a superb small-group version of "Old Rockin' Chair" from 1947. Armstrong's 1931 version of Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust" retains its special luster seven decades later, and there's also a good selection of trademark hits from his later career, like "Mack the Knife" and "Hello, Dolly!" --Stuart Broomer

Track Listing

1. Chimes Blues

3. Heebie Jeebies

4. Potato Head Blues

5. West End Blues

6. Tight Like This

7. Mahogany Hall Stomp

8. Ain't Misbehavin'

9. Black and Blue

10. St. Louis Blues

12. Blue Again

13. Lazy River

15. Stardust

16. Shadrack

17. I Double Dare You

19. Marie

20. Rockin' Chair

21. Blueberry Hill

22. Mack the Knife

23. Fine Romance, A

24. Hello, Dolly!

....and this is essential (IMHO), not for the trumpet playing but for the Sweet sound of Ella and the Gravelly sound of Satchmo's voice. It is one of my desert island picks.....

Ella & Louis --

1956/ 1989 Verve Records

EVERYBODY knows by now how great idea was teaming Ella (at her peak) and Louis (close enough to his peak) on this album,

with a killer back-up group lead by Oscar Peterson at his rhythmiest (yes, I know it's not a real word). I'm writing about the original CD from the early 2000s I bought, not about SACD (where the review will apparently, also end up), so I can't talk about the technological finesse of this edition... I'm just claiming this is a beautiful jazz album, happily matched only by Ella and Louis Again, another masterpiece. Groveling expressiveness of Louis' voice is matched beautifully with the melodic brilliance of Ella's jubilant voice and the rest is history.

Side One:

Side Two:

EllaLouis.jpg

I hope this helps,

Dennie

all great! Love the Ken Burns Jazz series a must for any Louis A fan. That is one nice Ella & Louis, great record!

• Like 1

Dennie, once again you make excellent selections! I think I got some of these because of you! I would add Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - "The Great Summit." "The Making of the Great Summit" is fun too!

Some of the older recordings on the Ken Burns JAZZ CD sound pretty old but it is a nice collection. The "Definitive Collection" is OK but my favorites (and decent sound) so far are "Ella and Louis" and the "Great Summit"

Yes Sir, "The Great Summit" is a fantastic recording and a favorite of mine also! thumbup.gif

I didn't list it because Sancho was asking for "Satchmo" music and I didn't want it to get confusing. "Summit" is fantastic "Ellington" music and should not be missed. But for a place to start, I choose the other disc's for a beginner. When he asks for more, "we'll" make sure "Summit" is on that list! :wink:

Dennie drinkingcheers.gif

• Like 1

This is a good one.....

51o3l2L66DL._SS400_.jpg

Louis Armstrong

2004 Columbia Legacy

TOTAL RUNNING TIMES --

Track listing

DISC 1:

1. Sugar Foot Stomp

3. Pickin' on Your Baby

4. Heebie Jeebies

5. Willie the Weeper

6. Potato Head Blues

7. West End Blues

8. Basin Street Blues

9. Beau Koo Jack

10. St. James Infirmary

11. Tight Like This

13. Ain't Misbehavin'

14. Black and Blue

15. That Rhythm Man

16. St. Louis Blues

18. I'm Confessin'

DISC 2:

1. Memories of You

2. Shine

4. Blue Again

5. You Rascal You

7. Lazy River

8. Stardust

9. Georgia on My Mind

10. Shadrack

13. Rockin' Chair

14. Blueberry Hill

15. Mack the Knife

16. Aunt Hagar's Blues

17. Honeysuckle Rose

18. Fine Romance, A

519ahd-EoTL._SS500_.jpg

Ken Burns Jazz -- CD

Louis Armstrong

2000 Columbia Legacy

Amazon.com

Track Listing

1. Chimes Blues

3. Heebie Jeebies

4. Potato Head Blues

5. West End Blues

6. Tight Like This

7. Mahogany Hall Stomp

8. Ain't Misbehavin'

9. Black and Blue

10. St. Louis Blues

12. Blue Again

13. Lazy River

15. Stardust

16. Shadrack

17. I Double Dare You

19. Marie

20. Rockin' Chair

21. Blueberry Hill

22. Mack the Knife

23. Fine Romance, A

24. Hello, Dolly!

Ella & Louis --

1956/ 1989 Verve Records

Side One:

Side Two:

EllaLouis.jpg

I hope this helps,

Dennie

all great! Love the Ken Burns Jazz series a must for any Louis A fan. That is one nice Ella & Louis, great record!

Thanks Lemon String, it sounds fantastic. I've done side by side comparisons with the 2000 (I think) CD and even know I enjoy the CD for the convenience factor, it lacks the Warmth, Body, Depth, Dynamics of the Lp.

I recommend the series "Ken Burns Jazz" for anyone who is into or looking to get into Jazz. Lots of great information and it really helped me "put it all together".

If anyone is an Amazon Prime member, you can watch it for free! ..........dance.gif

Dennie listening.gif

• Like 1

Ella and Louis...and Oscar Peterson...I bet that album is awesome.

I have a Ella Fitzgerald "Mac the Knife" live in Berlin LP, and she does "How High the Moon" with some serious be-bop...it's great...

It is fantastic. Look at the whole lineup....

I highly recommend it!

Then.... There is this one....

511oTy7A7zL.jpg

Dennie eek.gif ......rolling.gif

• Like 1

One of my favorites is Fitzgerald/Amstrong together on

the standard "Autumn in New York".

My god Ellas voice sends shivers up my spine.

A great stop in New York is the Louis Armstrong

Museum. Check out his stereo.

Good Call RickFL....and "Cheek to Cheek" just sends shivers down my spine. Just Beautiful! :emotion-21:

Dennie

• Like 1