XLR VS RCA

jtubbs6117

Dr. Who

I agree noise was not an issue while I was running unbalanced RCA. The only balanced connections I have are preamp to amp. CD, Tuner, etc are unbalanced. As Beeker stated the signal strength is much stronger with the balanced connections vs, unbalanced. I had huge headroom prior to the change, but now it is as if the headroom has been inreased two fold, with better seperation and imaging INMHO.

• Like 1

Dr. Who

I agree noise was not an issue while I was running unbalanced RCA. The only balanced connections I have are preamp to amp. CD, Tuner, etc are unbalanced. As Beeker stated the signal strength is much stronger with the balanced connections vs, unbalanced. I had huge headroom prior to the change, but now it is as if the headroom has been inreased two fold, with better seperation and imaging INMHO.

Separation and imaging sounds like you read my mind on your description. I know people that prefer one over the other and in my solid state 2ch system i prefer xlr when can be used whether just from eq to xover to amp or from cd player all the way to amp.

• Like 3

I have not messed with a XLR since I was a kid fixing things for a few local Bands, ok a lot of bands.

As I recall they were 'Locking' in those days, do they still do that ? band members still tore them up, but they did not pull/fall out.

By the way, one of the bands after years really took off, you may recall the name Great white? then Eddies dad financed the band with new equipment,

Eddie and his brother were kind of snobs, cool but snobs, about the name and so it was, we get new equipment we use my name. Van Halen was born.

Continued my repair work and never saw these guys again, sorry for the rant, but XLR's were the standard back in the day.......

Edited by minermark
  • Like 3