Denon AVR-E300 for RF-82s?

Steely Dan

I currently have a pair of RF-82s, an RC-62 (just delivered last night!) and will add a couple of Rs-400s next year.

I'm planning to replace my ancient Technics AVR and have been looking at the marantz sr5008 and harman 3700.

It dawned on me that I don't really need many of the features of the marantz and harman avr's eg multi zone, multiple inputs etc, advanced Audyssey. i was interested in these units as I was thinking of buying an amp at some point down the road. I'm now thinking I should just buy a less expensive avr, specifically the denon e300, that should serve my needs for the next 5 years, understanding that I would need to buy a newer avr at that point.

My only concern now is that will the denon e300 be powerful enough to drive my set up? This avr is rated at 75 wpc. My system is in a 14' x 14' room with 8 foot ceilings. The denon is currently on sale for $280, which makes it even more tempting. What do you think?

I run my system off of 45 watts/channel and it will blow me out of the room. The e300 should be plenty unless you like to listen beyond reference volume. My room is about the same size- 13x14x9.

Edited by kini62
  • Like 1

Spend a little extra on this one

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVRX1000/DENON-AVR-X1000-5.1-Channel-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay/1.html

Audussey xt is much superior than regular audussey. Or maybe you could call a couple online denon dealers and see if you can get the denon 1713 that I use. Same as the x1000 minus 4K (whoopee).

• Like 1

I have the AVR-300 and the RF-82 II. It drives these speakers perfectly, and I am very pleased with the setup. I use it for both 2 channel music and 5.1 HT.

Greg

Thanks guys - I pulled the trigger on an e300 today, everything's good so far but I need to do a lot of tweaking. Man, avr's have changed so much the last 15 years. Lol.

Question for you guys - I'm not getting enough bass when listening to music. A guy on the denon forum said I should set my front speakers to small. I will certainly try it, but what do you guys set it to? Audyssey set my rf-82s and rc-62 to large.

Do you have a subwoofer?

Yes. It's a velodyne 12". Ive now set it all speakers to small. Seems to sound better. In addition, I manually increased the volume of the subwoofer. Audyssey set it at -12 db - I increased it to +10 db. Is that unusual? Am I bass deaf? Lol

Audyssey set my crossovers to 40hz for the fronts and center, and 80 hz for the surrounds, should I try to tweak this as well?

Edited by Steely Dan

The bass may be way out of balanced in that system, even for a basshead. It is a good Ideal to never increase the gain by more than 6 db. Stuff under 30 Hz takes a lot of energy. Increasing the under 30 Hz stuff by 6 db decreases headroom by 50%. Stand back, something is going to blow!

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

I still need to do some additional tests, but I think I've found the reason why I'm not getting enough bass - Audyssey's website says the phase setting of the subwoofer should be set to 0 (this bit of info is not in the denon manual). I tried that and music sounded much better. I'll be re running Audyssey set up later when the kids are in bed.

Setting the phase to 0 indeed added a lot bass to both music and movies.

I recalibrated my system and my sub results still gave me -12db. I turned down the volume to 25% and it brought it down to -7db. Still high but I can live with that for now. I might have to turn it all the way down to 10-15% as others have done.

Thanks for all your suggestions!