Pioneer Elite SC-72 setup help

endover

Sorry...I've tried using the "search" function to dig up older info on my problem but the Klipsch team tells me accessing older threads (pre-new website) is still troublesome and that they're still working on that. In the mean time, I continue to toy with setting up my Pioneer Elite SC-72 and I have a question for any ELITE owners. Soundwise, I am very impressed with the unit and am almost dialed in however....setup-wise, it's not intuitive and leaves me scratching my head quite often. I think all that's left for me to figure out is the subwoofer output. For some reason, my sub12 (which is setup to automatically turn on with the proper signal) will only come on if I'm watching a TV channel with 5.1 surround (works with cable TV, Netflix, etc). If I put in a DVD, it never turns on! What am I missing?

Sorry...I've tried using the "search" function to dig up older info on my problem but the Klipsch team tells me accessing older threads (pre-new website) is still troublesome and that they're still working on that. In the mean time, I continue to toy with setting up my Pioneer Elite SC-72 and I have a question for any ELITE owners. Soundwise, I am very impressed with the unit and am almost dialed in however....setup-wise, it's not intuitive and leaves me scratching my head quite often. I think all that's left for me to figure out is the subwoofer output. For some reason, my sub12 (which is setup to automatically turn on with the proper signal) will only come on if I'm watching a TV channel with 5.1 surround (works with cable TV, Netflix, etc). If I put in a DVD, it never turns on! What am I missing?

Are you running all your speakers as large?

You guys are just fast! My Chorus II's up front are set as large and all others are set at small. I use the PS3 as my DVD player. Gotta run right now but will try your other suggestions soon.

Thats why. Your sub on 2ch won't run in stereo if the fronts are set to large. Because there is no info to send. You can go in the options and set the fronts and sub to play together in stereo mode. I forget what its called ill look later and post it if no one beats me to it

I had the same question a while back

Edited by reference_head

The Plus feature can be used but, it is better to set all the speakers to small to fully utilize the bass management program. When the fronts are set to large and plus, a quasi- bass management scheme is employed. I am not saying it will not sound right, this is just what MCACC employs. Some people prefer setting their front speakers to large. I run my RF 7's as small,or as I like to think as monster satellites, lol. Even when I had smaller subs, I still like the small setting and my 12 in. Epik Legend sub had no problems keeping up with the RF 7's and RC 64.

Edited by derrickdj1

idk derrick i would rather have the bass from the chorus 2 over his sub12. If they have half the bass corns have they need no sub for 2ch imo.

I certainly understand. I was just mentioning the qiasi-bass mangement scheme employed by MCACC, Audyssey and some other autocalibration programs when the plus on double bass option is used. I run my McIntosh XR 5 as large (only choice) with the Yaqin VK 2100 amp. Even my 10 in. klipsch SW 114 kept up with the RF 7's output but the richness was not there. The Cornwalls and Chorus have large enough woofer to stand alone.

Edited by derrickdj1

Before I go changing the SW to "plus", help me understand why it sounds awesome when watching a 5.1 movie from Netflix or a TV show that's in 5.1 but then it doesn't even turn on during a DVD? We rented "Man of Steel" the other night from Brighthouse "Movies on Demand" meaning...it came from the cable box not from a DVD and it sounded great! On the other hand, we put in "The Croods" DVD last night and I even put my SW in the "ON" position (took it off auto) and I got nothing thru the sub. Everything else is identical to what I had with my Onkyo system which worked great (when it wasn't broken). I play DVD's/Blu-Ray's thru my PS3 which in turn is plugged into my receiver thru HDMI.

setting the speakers to large has NO effect on sub usage/turning on.

in pioneer's world, if you want auto on, set to PLUS and that should be god to go. if the sub does not come on, it is because no signal bellow the specified hz is taking place. Mine is set at 60hz/80hz, and will auto-on about 99% of the time.

I set my speakers to large.