How would you upgrade stock Cornwall Is with a $2000 budget?

synthfreek

I've been hell-bent on new speakers in the $2000 range but I was just curious what might be possible with my Cornwalls. Call me crazy. New horns, drivers and network...suggest away. I'm using the PrimaLuna Prologue Three preamp and Six monoblocks (EL34.)

Hmmm.... 2k is about right. You could get Eliptracs and BMS 4592 drivers for that. Just set them on top of the Cornwalls. You would need some crossovers that allow you to attenuate the mids such as from DeanG or ALK. So another 500 or more. Oh, and the Beyma CP25 tweeters are my current choice... it would be easy to hit 3k at this rate but it would sound very nice!

Back on budget might be to keep your existing mid driver with Cornwall Fastracs, upgrade to the crossovers I mentioned, and maybe consider a new tweeter. Any leftover $$ could be used for some proper room treatments.

I've been hell-bent on new speakers in the $2000 range but I was just curious what might be possible with my Cornwalls. Call me crazy. New horns, drivers and network...suggest away. I'm using the PrimaLuna Prologue Three preamp and Six monoblocks (EL34.)

I would go with a two way upgrade. I would suggest that you listen to the horn in both the standard horizontal position and in the vertical position to see which works best for you then have Bob cut you a baffle. You might also consider aligning the woofer and horn drivers. My two cents and I think your best option. Hope this is of interest, best regards Moray James.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala-style-d.html

If it were my money or that of a customers....

Here would be my upgrade path. This is one I’ve personally used and 1 have recommended.

Daves Fastlane Audio Hobby Site Eliptrac 400 exposed finish - $625 Per pair

From ALK Eliptrac HF horn with B&C DE10 driver ....... $158.00

The "CornScala-Wall" Universal Crossover (Finished) ... $320.00

B&C DE85TN-8 2" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 4-Bolt $250 each ($500 pair)

The total is $1605.00 The rational is this… The eliptrac is well known and accepted for its incredible results. The B&C DE85 is what ALK and Dave suggest… there are cheaper and more expensive units. I have heard JBL 2446H 2" vs the B&C DE85 and could tell them apart. ALK will pair Daves newest horn with the drive and test it prior to you receiving… seems a steal then. Lastly… the Cornscala wall does not just attenuate the mids but the HF freq too. These tweeters are hot… I have to choke my D220Ti tweeters all the way back. The ability to adjust the attenuation makes these crossovers a real game changer in my book.

With the remaining $400… new woofers? The Eminence 15C is simply incredible. Then sell all your parts and youll have a speaker which will be hard to beat commercially without throwing money at it.

Edited by justinsweber
  • Like 1

If it were my money or that of a customers....

Here would be my upgrade path. This is one I’ve personally used and 1 have recommended.

Daves Fastlane Audio Hobby Site Eliptrac 400 exposed finish - $625 Per pair

From ALK Eliptrac HF horn with B&C DE10 driver ....... $158.00

The "CornScala-Wall" Universal Crossover (Finished) ... $320.00

B&C DE85TN-8 2" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 4-Bolt $250 each ($500 pair)

The total is $1605.00 The rational is this… The eliptrac is well known and accepted for its incredible results. The B&C DE85 is what ALK and Dave suggest… there are cheaper and more expensive units. I have heard JBL 2446H 2" vs the B&C DE85 and could tell them apart. ALK will pair Daves newest horn with the drive and test it prior to you receiving… seems a steal then. Lastly… the Cornscala wall does not just attenuate the mids but the HF freq too. These tweeters are hot… I have to choke my D220Ti tweeters all the way back. The ability to adjust the attenuation makes these crossovers a real game changer in my book.

With the remaining $400… new woofers? The Eminence 15C is simply incredible. Then sell all your parts and youll have a speaker which will be hard to beat commercially without throwing money at it.

This is pretty much exactly what I had put together as an option. I do not plan on making any cabinet alterations. I want to do everything myself so drop-ins are what's needed. KHorns and fake walls are also a possibility as I do have the room. They would be approximately 18-20ft apart...center to center. I also have speakers like Focal 836V, Zu Omen Def, Gallo, etc. as interests.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

If your budget would allow, I'd seriously consider a midrange driver that allows you to crossover a little lower and a network that crosses over at around 400. Just realize that you could not use that new network with your original horns.