How would you upgrade stock Cornwall Is with a $2000 budget?

synthfreek

i would upgrade the cornwalls to belle's with the sale of the cornwalls and the 2000. there's more equity in doing that then high end parts installs in your cornwalls which everyone will tell you is money spent for your benifet but not something you will recope if you had to.

Guest David H

i would upgrade the cornwalls to belle's with the sale of the cornwalls and the 2000. there's more equity in doing that then high end parts installs in your cornwalls which everyone will tell you is money spent for your benifet but not something you will recope if you had to.

Fritz is right, the Belles will hold their value better.

I personally prefer the sound of the Cornwall, modified or not.

The Cornwall lends itself nicely to upgrades.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a quick update. I've decided to upgrade but not go all out. I've ordered new Sonicaps to recap the networks. Next paycheck I'll upgrade the tweets with either the CT125, DE10 or DE120...still undecided as to which. Are the crossover frequencies on the Type B good to go for the B&C drivers? I'll probably just throw new diaphragms in the mids and call it a day. I'll save over the course of the year and get something new later on.

I wouldn't be afraid to do a little surgery, enlarge the hole, and drop a better horn in. Consider revisiting the crossovers after you get the horn in. A poly recap doesn't really improve the sound like a better circuit or older circuit built with old school parts does.

Buying a set of Klipschorns leaves you with the same issues.

Edited by DeanG

how hard is it to take out the motorboard on a CW?

on a 74 cornwall their are 17 screws and a few raps with a rubber mallet and it falls right out. there is a bead of chaulk that runs the entire width of the cab right above the ports. later years they used staples.

post-12513-0-62040000-1391375804_thumb.j

Edited by Budman

The first thing that comes to mind is selling them, and using the proceeds plus $2,000 to buy some nice Khorns
That's definitely something I would consider. They're full-range horn-loaded, classically PWK engineered to have no sonic seams between the horns and from the top to the bottom, no cosmetics/appearance issues (PWK was a genius there, too!), a top section that is excellent for sound distribution around the room and over the tops of furniture and seated people, and bass that goes down to 32 Hz unlike La Scala's and Belles.

I haven't heard many examples of parts replacement "upgrades," but always ended up thinking PWK's designs were the best. After all, the Heritage line was fully engineered over many years for good, musical sound. I'm not sure piecemeal parts replacements can really accomplish that.

The K-horn seems to have less of a direct-impact type of sound, though many think it's more enveloping. For that reason, they may take a little time to fully appreciate.

" I'm not sure piecemeal parts replacements can really accomplish that."

A quick look at the vast number of drivers used in Klipsch products over the years leaves me with a different impression.

As an authorized dealer and repair center I never knew what to expect after removing the back to service a
Klipsch product.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaarghhhh...I need help! I recapped the networks last week with AudioCaps and Kimber Kaps. That was painless enough. I'm in the middle of replacing the tweeter diaphragms and I've run into a snag. The first one was fine. On the second one, the magnet plate separated from the main magnet assembly when I disassembled the tweeter. It stayed in the diaphragm area. I have tried moving it back to where it belongs and centering it for over an hour now and I'm just getting frustrated. I'm sure you know what's happening. When I place the plate down half of it sticks to the round column part where the voice coil gap or whatever forms. I'm about to lose it. I have tried using multiple flathead screwdriver to try and make them not make contact as I guide it in but that doesn't work. The magnets have such a strong attraction that it violently connects and there is no gap for the voice coil.

Edited by synthfreek

Guest David H
I haven't heard many examples of parts replacement "upgrades," but always ended up thinking PWK's designs were the best. After all, the Heritage line was fully engineered over many years for good, musical sound. I'm not sure piecemeal parts replacements can really accomplish that.

Some parts do make a difference, unfortunately there a too many one stop shoppers satisfied with the status quo.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...