Crown amp question

wuzzzer

The IEC power cord that came with my Crown amp is a 14awg cable that's only about 2 feet long. To be able to put the amp in my TV stand I need a longer cord. I have an IEC from my old computer that's about 6 feet long but its 18awg. I'm guessing it probably isn't a good idea to use this cable?

Also, because of where my amp is currently located its hard to get at it to turn it on/off. I've been leaving it on all the time for convenience sake. I know there's been a lot of discussion on here about leaving amps on but does anyone see any issues with leaving a pro amp on continuously?

making a cord longer with a smaller gauge is counter-intuitive, buy the right one with the same gauge or thicker from monoprice.

I wouldn't leave your amp on because it is just sitting there running electric through it for no reason and shortening its lifespan. Something is going to create heat within and heat is electronics biggest enemy. I would turn it off when done.

An amp sitting idle should not overheat.

I highly doubt running an amplifier full time will shorten its lifespan except maybe for the fan bearings.

If the power supply is rated at 8 or so amps or under you should be fine using the 18 gauge wire. You can always upgrade the cord at a later time if it worries you.

I rearranged stuff and the Crown fits perfectly in my TV stand and easily accessible to turn it on and off. Plus the bright blue light on the front of the amp now is blocked by the side of my TV stand so it isn't distracting anymore.

I rearranged stuff and the Crown fits perfectly in my TV stand and easily accessible to turn it on and off. Plus the bright blue light on the front of the amp now is blocked by the side of my TV stand so it isn't distracting anymore

My VK 2100 has the brightest blue display on light of any amp I even seen. It can be very annoying. I opened the amp up and disconnected the wire to the display. A 5 min. job.