Maybe jumping ship....

johnangelo

Happy New Year to all!!

Long story short....my friend is making way for his new HT system...being that he owes me a couple of favors he is willing to part with his Bowers and Wilkins 5.1( Xt4 for fronts, xt2 for rears xt center, and a sunfire junior sub), all for a grand. This would be replacing my Klipsch rvx 42 5.1 system. Assuming this is too good of a deal to pass up? Certainly a move up and not laterally? I have never owed speakers outside of these Klipsch, which i really enjoy every thing about them even though they are not top of the line... thoughts and opinions appreciated....

Thanks,

John

The speakers you mention look nice and I'm sure they sound great. After reading a quick review of them, it sounds like they will require much more power than your Klipsch's so that's another factor to keep in mind, not knowing what you're currently using to power your RVX setup.

Happy New Year to all!!

Long story short....my friend is making way for his new HT system...being that he owes me a couple of favors he is willing to part with his Bowers and Wilkins 5.1( Xt4 for fronts, xt2 for rears xt center, and a sunfire junior sub), all for a grand. This would be replacing my Klipsch rvx 42 5.1 system. Assuming this is too good of a deal to pass up? Certainly a move up and not laterally? I have never owed speakers outside of these Klipsch, which i really enjoy every thing about them even though they are not top of the line... thoughts and opinions appreciated....

Thanks,

John

Thanks for your response....but looking for more of more of an objective opinion....is this a good price? discriminating differences between these two sets of speakers (tonality, speaker characteristics etc), is this a move up in the audio chain or a move lateral.

Being that he's your friend, why not ask him if you can try them in your own room before making a decision.

You'll get lots of opinions here but only you can answer your own question once you compare the two systems.....

Good luck!

As far as sound goes, it's subjective. Because of their price point, the B&Ws should sound better, but to some they may not. I would recommend if you haven't already, demo them at your friends house and decide if they sound better to you than your RVXs. Just because they cost more doesn't always mean they will sound better, especially to your particular ear.

• Like 1

This would be replacing my Klipsch rvx 42 5.1 system.

I have a full RVX-42 system in my bedroom(2700 ft3) and in that application for near field(8ft) HT, it sounds great. With that said, when this same system was in my 6000 ft3 family room/kitchen, it lacked that wow factor, nothing like the RF-63 system I have now.

To get close to the equivalent of the B&W XT Series system, you would have to replace the front pair of RVX-42's with a pair of the RVX-54's for it to be close to a level playing field. Find a pair of 54's and I think you would have a better setup, especially for HT. I am assuming you want to keep a slim form factor for WAF control.

Bill

klipsch-rvx-54-group.jpg vs 806bw.1.jpg

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

Sorry, but if that's the sub in the picture that willand posted, you should hide that queer lookin thing if you get it. Crap, no more A&E appearances for me after using the "Q" word. :o Seriously, the only opinion that matters is yours regarding which is better, so I really wouldn't listen to anyone or anything with regards to it being a good move or not, just go with what you think; heck you might think that odd looking sub is cool! LOL

I say give them a listen and go for it if you like them. You are getting a $5,000 system for $1K to return a favor, sounds like a good deal if you like them. Price is not everything, but B&W is very reputable and makes very good speakers.

I have had three pairs of B&W's high end speakers and they are mighty fine speakers. I looked these up and they use the Nautilus tweeters. These are very good tweeters. These also look like they have B&W's kevlar midrange driver. The midrange on B&W's tends to be very good (meaning outstanding). Plus you are getting a sunfire sub and not the goofy looking egg thing.

This looks like it is a major move up for you. I'd go for it, you can always sell them later and get your money back if you decide on something else. If I was in a situation where I could nto hear these and could get them for this price, I would buy them.

Have you heard them? How do they sound?

Ok...spent a greater part of the day setting the B&W's up in my viewing/listening room . I was not anticipating such a dramatic difference in sound as compared to the Klipsch!! The B&W's are a little too laid back and casual for my palate, lacking that Klipsch forward clarity and crispness that i have come to enjoy.

Have to say that it was an immediate dislike...... until i placed the two front xt4's them in my living room (no wife factor) where I was able to space them out a little more giving them a little more breathing room and sound stage (vaulted ceiling). They seemed to open up a little bit more on the high end and not sound so muddy in the low range. I think the were just too much speaker for the size of my listening room but are well suited for the more open area of my living room.

None the less....Klipsch sound still reigns supreme to my aging ears.

My Klipsch seem to engage me in the music while the B&W's lull me.......and that's ok....

• Like 1

Just keep in mind, neither of the setups are "designed" for serious music listening even though they may sound pretty good. These "decor friendly" systems are for WAF conscience folks who like music and movies but don't want the major physical intrusion in their living space.

Chalk one up for Klipsch today.

Bill