7.2 thx ultra setup

ys80

Ys80,

Welcome to the forum.

How many speakers besides the subs are you using?

Are you considering a multichannel receiver or a preamp/processor with amp combo?

How large is your room(L x W x H)?

Is this system for just HT or music also?

What ratio HT/music?

Bill

Thank you.

I have 7 speakers (all in wall)

doesn't matter whether I use a multichannel receiver or a preamp/processor with amp. what would be the benefits of using one rather the other.

room is 20 x 20 x 12.

system would be 80% ht and 20%music

I have 7 speakers (all in wall)

Cool setup. Are you the very lucky boyfriend that received a very nice Christmas present recently? :wub:

doesn't matter whether I use a multichannel receiver or a preamp/processor with amp. what would be the benefits of using one rather the other.

No it does not really. Just wondering if you would be using just a receiver or a receiver/amp combo or pre/pro/amp combo.

Bill

I bet you could get away with just using a nice receiver and your system will sound great. Onkyo, Integra, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha all sound pretty darn good IMHO. I don't think any of them these days are way better than the others, just the features with room correction processing seems to be the big variation now a days.

Separates are nice though, no doubt about it. And a good amp should last you decades. I felt that adding a separate amps was well worth the expense in my setup, I have never heard a speaker that didn't benefit from better amplification.

A nice receiver will set you back about ~$1200 NIB. Where as a decent amp(s) and separate pre-pro is going to run a good bit higher even on the secondary market.

If possible, try to borrow a receiver and a pre pro / amp set up from a local shop to demo. Most shops do this as long as you have a deposit.

Are you the very lucky boyfriend that received a very nice Christmas present recently

THAT'S ME...I must thank everyone that helped her... Best gift ever. She completely had me blindsided. The best part of all she didn't skimp out.

She left this part to me now...how to power these works of art.

Edited by ys80
  • Like 2

Are you the very lucky boyfriend that received a very nice Christmas present recently

THAT'S ME...I must thank everyone that helped her... Best gift ever. She completely had me blindsided. The best part of all she didn't skimp out.

Congratulations! Who's money are we spending now? :D

We were hoping that you would not catch her and think she was carrying on a cyber relationship with some dude, or in this case some dude(s). :o

Bro, that woman loves you. :wub: :wub: :wub:

How about the dual SVS SB13 Ultras? You are in for a treat.

Bill

Congratulations! Who's money are we spending now? :D

Still spending hers.

We were hoping that you would not catch her and think she was carrying on a cyber relationship with some dude, or in this case some dude(s). :o

Bro, that woman loves you. :wub: :wub: :wub:

wow about the dual SVS SB13 Ultras? You are in for a treat.

Bill

After this gift she can do whatever or whomever she wants.

yea she takes care of me.

Throughout the years she would make fun of me at the amount of research I do prior to buying anything. I would show her how I go on forums and absorb all the info and ask many questions. I guess I taught her well.

• Like 1

As far as AVR's go, with dual subs you may want something that can EQ each sub independently. A receiver with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT capabilities would be best but not necessary.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR4520CI/DENON-AVR-4520CI-Denon-s-Flagship-Home-Theater-Receiver-150wpc/1.html

Not sure if the Onkyo here has SubEQ HT but it does have XT32.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR3010/ONKYO-TX-NR3010-9.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

Bill

Processor

Emotiva UMC-200

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/umc200

Amplifier

Outlaw Audio Model 7125

http://outlawaudio.com/products/7125.html

I personally own a Model 7125 amp and it will definitely be enough for your setup. I actually don't think ive turned it up far enough for it to run out of gas. My rf-7's were making my ears bleed when i tested it haha. It should give you some good overhead too!

Total

$1,500

Wires

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/interconnects/products/xrca

I have these and I love them. I hear a difference over the monoprice ones and think they sound smoother even though i will use the monoprice ones from time to time, my 7.2 is wired with these though! I did tons of searching for good quality shielded and affordable RCA's and this is what i came up with.

Edited by SuBXeRo

As far as AVR's go, with dual subs you may want something that can EQ each sub independently. A receiver with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT capabilities would be best but not necessary.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR4520CI/DENON-AVR-4520CI-Denon-s-Flagship-Home-Theater-Receiver-150wpc/1.html

Not sure if the Onkyo here has SubEQ HT but it does have XT32.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR3010/ONKYO-TX-NR3010-9.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

Bill

I have been looking for a future upgrade as well. The Audyssey features are sort of hard to follow but I am pretty certain that anything with XT32 also has SubEQHT with it.

Welcome to the forum! Once you get things running, please let us know how it sounds! And don't forget, PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!! :)

Do you have a good idea of where you will be installing these? Could we help out with placement questions? Just ask....

You've got a good woman there. Congratulations to you! :D

Nice system and wife!
AVRs won't give you ummmph that a pre/pro and amplifier will give as the receiver will share one power supply for all channels. Also, AVRs (and processors) will need to be updated over time so buying separates now will save you in the long run as amps just keep amping and you just update the pre/pro.

You guys are asking for pictures of the system, right? :wub:

Don't forget to budget for a BluRay player (Oppo) and universal remote (Harmony). Oh, and get your cables from Monoprice to save a BUNCH!

Edited by USNRET

From what I have seen on here the thx series really benefits from having some power behind them. Not saying an integrated won't work but you will be hard pressed to find one with enough power to give you headroom to reach reference levels. I have a marantz sr7007 running 9.2 and while it sounds great, it could use more power. A marantz av8801 would make a great pre and emotiva has a nice selection of amps to give you the power you need.

Congratulations on the new setup and don't forget to

POST PICTURES!

From what I have seen on here the thx series really benefits from having some power behind them. Not saying an integrated won't work but you will be hard pressed to find one with enough power to give you headroom to reach reference levels. I have a marantz sr7007 running 9.2 and while it sounds great, it could use more power. A marantz av8801 would make a great pre and emotiva has a nice selection of amps to give you the power you need.

Congratulations on the new setup and don't forget to

POST PICTURES!

+1 I've read the same. I would not even do the outlaw 7125. I would go at least 200 watts a channel. You can see I feed mine 350 per channel. In fact there is a amp just like mine for sale for 1600 I think brand new on Avs. Killer deal. Edited by Scrappydue

I can never complain about headroom thats for sure! The recommended crossovers are 80hz for the thx so digging deep isnt necessarily required. Budget is a limit here though. You could go with emotiva amps and make a 7 channel setup with an xpa5 and a 2 channel and that will bring you in near budget. I prefer my outlaw to the xpa5 and sold it to make the swap

Pictures will definitely be posted. Installation probably wont be for a couple of weeks. I know its killing me too. I will also take more pictures of the room and get some feedback on placement.

Ok so it seems that going with separates is the way to go. That's taking me into unknown territory, so please give me all the guidance possible. I certainly do not want to under power these speakers.

Which models should I be looking at and also what wires will I need.