7.2 thx ultra setup

ys80

I also wanted to add to my other post. Headroom is something nice to have and you don't realize what it truly means until you have it and then it is taken away. Ignorance in audio is bliss sometimes. Part of the time you will know straight off the bat if the sound is good or not. The other part of the time it just sounds good but you may not know any better. Extra power will help with overall musicality and dynamics. Join this with the individual sonic signatures of a particular amplifier and you have an infinite number of combinations.

I will be honest and tell you this. I am blissfully ignorant to what is outside of what i know. I am terrified to listen to a McIntosh amp for the fear that it might blow away what I have and i will lust for the uber expensive McIntosh. I have listened to many pairs of klipsch and i hate that i haven't had a chance to listen to them all. I think that i have landed on a great setup that i have pieced together from scratch but it has taken me a few years and it has taken testing several pieces of equipment. As it stands now, i am at peace with what I have and when you reach this point, it is a sigh of relief. I am a lifer, i love audio and home theater and its a big part of me as a person because its a hobby that i choose to learn everything I can about. I am an nut-job but here on the forums, I am not alone. You don't have to be crazy to love what you hear but you have know that you like what you have. Don't get distraught either. Tuning things takes some time to get it just right and the best place for you to bring your questions is here or do some general internet research.

With that Ultra system and a pair of nice subs, you should be looking for an AVR or preamp that has MultEQ XT32, and that has x.2, where the ".2" represents 2 subs.

For future upgrading, you can find and AVR with preamp outputs. the best preamp outputs are balanced XLR, however, RCA is just fine. As mentioned before, power amps outlive AVR's and preamps. Mostly that is because of changing technology. You could buy seven 1940 monoblock tube amps of about any brand and connect a 2014 preamp to them.

Subxero, you rock buddy! You are one of the most helpful people I have seen. Nice write up.

• Like 1

Wow!!! Thank you SuBXeRo. You've made me much more comfortable.

You are very welcome. My speeches weren't made to sway you on way or another, just to enlighten you and make you confident with any scenario regardless of difficulty. With inhibition out of the way, you can make the decision that is best for you. Separates are not for everyone nor are receivers.

Hi Guys. This is my first post, so I appreciate the input in advance. I'm building a 24X18X10 dedicated media room, (4320 cubic feet) and I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the power requirements for the THX Ultra 2 speaker system for this kind of space. I don't want to go too crazy, but I'm thinking the 150wpc or so of most integrated AVRs just isn't going to cut it. Also wondering if the dual sub setup in the system is enough, or whether I should double up and have 4 subs in the room. i will be building a baffle wall, and adding sound panels to the walls if that helps your opinion.

These are the pieces I'm looking at.

(3) KL-650-THX Bookshelf Speaker
(2) KL-525-THX Bookshelf Speaker
(2) KW-120-THX Subwoofer
(1) KS-525-THX Surround Speakers (pair)
(1) KA-1000-THX Amplifier

Thanks

The room looks like a giant echo chamber. A nice (large) rug and some curtains will help quiet this down.

By the way, it's a nice room. Very open and friendly. The fireplace adds warmth and a central focus point. The fact that there is no mantle is great since you will be able to install the TV at a sane level. One shouldn't get neck strain watching a TV that is too high!

Tiger has a point about the mains (left and right). If they are too close together, you will get poor separation at the place you need it most. Ideal placement for those is that they are the same distance apart as the viewers are from the TV. If your TV is 15' from you, then your left and right speakers should be around 15' from one another. This is not a do or die situation! What you have will work fine, just not ideal.

Here is a nice THX help page: http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

Front speakers should be close to ear height when sitting (particularly the tweeters, then the midrange). The surrounds and rears should be above ear height when sitting. I have heard everything from a 1' to 20' higher (in theaters). The center should be as close to the screen as possible.

Edited by mustang guy

I have had unfortunate experience with svs this past month. As you all know my girlfriend bought me my entire surround sound system. Included in the seup were 2 svs sb13 ultra subs, which were never received. 2 weeks had past from order date and still nothing. I get tracking number and track.FedEx tracking says that they were delivered to address and signed for a week earlier. Package was delivered at 9am and signed with a scribbled signature not matching mine. I do not return home from work till at least 730pm so the package would have sat outside all day. I contacted fedex quickly and told them my situation, they would send info to trace dept and I would hear back after 48 hours. I continued to contact svs regarding the situation and was told Dan would return my call. For 2 days Dan was calling the wrong number then decided to write an email to me...

Based on a message received by a member of our Customer Service team, there may be some confusion regarding the delivery and receipt of your 2 SB13-Ultra subwoofers from your order 28679-993.

Since you have not returned my calls to discuss, we are assuming that there was just some initial confusion and they are now in your possession. However, if that is not the case and because this is across state lines, we would need to involve both the federal and local law enforcement agencies and file the proper police reports and begin a criminal investigation.

As you can see from the attached documents, FedEx is showing proof of delivery at your delivery address and also showing that is was signed for on January 6th 2014.

Please get back to us as soon as possible and let us know if the confusion has been reresolved. If not, we will begin filing all of the proper documentation with the authorities so that we can expedite a resolution to this issue.

Since the email local police department cannot do anything because theres no proof of criminal activity. When I told Dan from svs this he quickly demanded the officers name that told me and his tel number. This made me feel as if I was being dishonest with him. Then began asking who and when did I speak to at fedex so he can confirm all info. Fedex had told me that $3200 package was sent uninsured and indirect signature required. When I looked up indirect signature required it basically says anyone can sign. Very stupid move on svs. My feeling is that package was delivered to the wrong address because during the Christmas season they hire anyone to help with the holiday season.

Throughout this ordeal svs has made me feel as though I'm screwing them and that this situation is impossible. Dan at svs doesn't seem as proactive as I am in trying to get this resolved. Ive gone to 2 fedex offices and local police department in person but have gotten no where. Svs just asks who have you spoken to and we want their info. Well I'm fed up with being treated like that. Ive done all that I can. I have disputed the charge with my credit card and will never purchase anything from svs. Poor customer service and very stupid shipping Dept.

What sub's do I buy now??

Edited by ys80

I think you should go on AVS forum and solicit a response from Ed Mullen of SVS. He is a very frequent contributor on AVS and may just humbly listen to your plight. This has got to be the first real legitimate complaint against SVS customer service that I have heard of. I know you have a bad taste in your mouth but it is worth a shot before you write them off completely.

Just a thought.

Good luck,

Bill

Wow so sorry for the situation. I find it hard to believe that SVS would ship without insurance and only require an indirect signature. If Fedex is telling you this I would verify with SVS to be the case. I've always read nothing but positive comments as far as SVS customer service. If Fedex or SVS can't iron it out at least you have protection thru your credit card services.

Hope it all works out soon so you can get up and running. Best of luck!