Marantz 2270 off of craigs for $100!

holtrp

Had my uncle pick it up, so I haven't seen it yet. Going to get it in a few hours. I will probably re-cap it and replace my 2226b with it.

Had my uncle pick it up, so I haven't seen it yet. Going to get it in a few hours. I will probably re-cap it and replace my 2226b with it.

Nice score. The 2270 is considered to be the "must have" of the medium powered Marantz receivers of the 70's.

Enjoy,

Bill

Nice score. The 2270 is considered to be the "must have" of the medium powered Marantz receivers of the 70's.

Enjoy,

Bill

Nice, gotta show some pics when you get it. I have the 2245 which is a very close sibling in many ways, it will never leave me.

I had one that I really liked. Still had the plastic protective cover on the front. However I also had/have excess receivers,
So I gave it to my brother and his wife as part of a complete stereo setup. After complete service.

Sent his wife home with 3 pistols for self defense when she goes bike riding on the back roads.

They've been good to me and what goes around comes around. or KARMA

John :)

I inherited a 4270 when my father passed years ago. Great reciever and the inspiration for my newer model purchases. Need to get the ol gal into the shop for some tlc. She still sounds sweet, just have to put up with the occasional knob jiggle to clear up a channel and she has a light out.

Alright, got this thing all opened up and cleaned out. There was a fair amount of dust but I have seen much worse. All in all, it appears to be well cared for. Took the deoxit to the pots. Two bulbs are burned up and I don't have spares on hand, so that will have to wait. Had it up and running pretty much non stop for the past couple days now and wow! It really does sound great. I bet it will sound that much better after service / new caps.

There are a few problems that will need to be addressed. There is an intermittent power flutter when it is turned on. After 20 secs or so, the power stabilizes and the speaker protection relay clicks. This doesn't happen every time, probably 70% of the time, so something is worn out and failing. Also, the AM/FM right output is missing most of the time, sometimes it comes on but when it does there is generally static. This is cured easy enough by putting it in mono. Hopefully this is a easy fix. I do notice an improvement in reception with this receiver vs my 2226B. It also looks much better to my eye with the full walnut case and darkened faceplate.

Bad news is the only tech in town is completely swamped and it will probably take about 2 months before he can get it on the bench. Once complete, I will have a 2226B fully restored on the block.

post-32463-0-12200000-1389050510_thumb.j

Very nice, Marantz receivers are hard to beat for a nice starter system. I remember my father unboxing his 2265 when i was a kid.

The downside is i remember easily bottoming out his Altec Valencia's woofers, something the old Fisher could never accomplish.

I want one for my workshop, i think they sound better than my old Pioneer SX-780 does.