Anybody Use First Watt Amps with Klipschorns or LaScala's

emmvette

I haven't seen much / any discussion of First Watt amps on this forum. The First Watt designs seem like they might be a good match for Klipschorns, Cornwalls, or LaScalas. Has anybody paired a First Watt amp with any of the heritage speakers?

If so, which First Watt amp and how did you like it?

I use First Watt F3 amplifiers as well as Cary 2A3 Tube amplifiers with my Jubs.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/142575-first-watt-f3-compared-to-my-cary-tube-amplifiersmodified/?hl=%2Bfirst+%2Bwatt+%2Bcary

From looking at your list of amplifiers (VRD ST45 and Welborne Star Chiefs) I'm curious what your thoughts are on those amplifiers with the KHorns?

miketn

From looking at your list of amplifiers (VRD ST45 and Welborne Star Chiefs) I'm curious what your thoughts are on those amplifiers with the KHorns?

miketn

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading through the different thoughts. I have a lot of amps, the VRD ST45, Welborne Star Chief, and Transcendent OTL's get the most play. Then comes the Heathkit UA-1's, McIntosh MC2205, Fisher 400, Carver M1.0t ..... I really don't have a favorite, they are all special. The VRD has the most slam and presence; its also great a low volume. The Welborne Star Chiefs are simply majic as are the Transcendent OTL amps. The Carver I like with the Cornwalls and H1's, but not the Khorns.

Hi

I am using a J2 and it is simply magic! Have used a number of amps over the years but this and the Volksamp Aleph 30 (re-branded Pass) have integrated very well with the Khorn and the gear I use. Pass occasionally has a demo price (through Reno HiFi) on First Watt gear. Another amp I have is the Altmann BYOB amp, this uses a 12v battery and gives the Khorn what it needs when reaching crescendos, the top end is a bit lean but the bottom end is enormous and extracts some deep bass. Pass does love horns!

Good luck

Cheers

It's so refreshing to me to read about members not only actively using, but genuinely enjoying amplifiers of very different topologies. A dozen or so years ago, when this forum was not unlike some remote town in the goldrush years of the old American west, we tended to get a bit warm around the collar about such things; single-ended triodes we forever at odds with push-pull pentodes. Lol! It was amazing...

I still enjoy my Transcendent (both single-ended push-pull varieties) and Welborne Labs amps, as I do the several other 6BQ5 (PP and SE) 2A3, 6L6 (PP and SE), and 300B from other makers, including a couple of my own. With some years behind me now, what I have discovered as far as my own listening and equipment, is that the type of tube or brand of passive components used within that equipment are significantly less important than the actual design of the circuit in which those tubes, transistors, capacitors, resistors, and transformers are used.

More importantly still, I have realized that, for my part (I am speaking just of myself) the origin of improved sound is much less dependent on whether an amp is push-pull or single-ended, or whether coupling capacitors or capacitors in crossovers (which for me do not exist at the present time) are metalized, film/foil, or are encased in Teflon, oil, or mylar, but rather on the electrical relationships between all of those parts and components -- and the ROOM in which they are used. Moreover, and this may be a point of some contention, I consider myself as indeed a component part of my own audio system. My ears and brain are the last link in the chain, and in fact the single most important link....IMO.

My state of mind influences the choice of music to which I listen, my overall health and physical well-being, very often the quality of the sounds I perceive. For example, over the years I have often heard sort of tongue-in-cheek comments along the lines of "after a couple of brews or glasses of wine, things are sounding pretty good!" In all honesty, the opposite has been the case for me. The quality of sound I detect from my system is not only mildly but very significantly better when my level of awareness and senses, hearing in particular, are as devoid of such other 'influencing factors' as possible. My hearing is clearer and more sensitive to low-level detail, and so forth...

At this point, I'm enjoying vinyl via a very nice vintage Leak ST20 amplifier I recently completely overhauled and rebuilt. My speakers consist of single, full-range drivers (Lowther PM5A) on an open baffle (without tweeters), with bass duties incredibly well handled by the bass bins from a pair of split, industrial La Scalas. Easily the best sound I have had in the room....which itself still needs work. Our bedroom would make for a truly ideal listening room -- which I tried to gently suggest to my wife. Suffice it to say, that's not going to happen. ;)

Edited by erik2A3

• 2 weeks later...

Easily the best sound I have had in the room....which itself still needs work. Our bedroom would make for a truly ideal listening room -- which I tried to gently suggest to my wife. Suffice it to say, that's not going to happen. ;)

I smiled when I read this. Sounded a little like something I would do. I'd think about it for a couple days, maybe make a small comment to float the idea, then at the right time, mention it directly. Of course knowing the whole time there was no way it was ever going to happen.... ;-)

I have great respect for the opinions of most members here, & on recommendations by Cask,& Mike who both use similar speakers as mine I decided to give the F3 a trial.The F3 was not a keeper for me, it was just not as musical as my 300B or my Bat VK60 to my ears. There is another thread (9 page) about "how to listen to music" & accuracy. When you get up to this caliber of gear it all seems to boil down to personnel taste . I dont regret the $80.00 for return shipping, because it gave me a chance to have another listening experience & enlarged my understanding of what works for my ears in my room. Looking forward to your review if you decide to try one of the First Watts.

Good luck Emmvette