1987 LaScalas For Sale in WI, $2,000, Crites Networks, Factory Boxes, WILL SHIP

tidmack

Hi all, I'm ready to possibly part with my La Scalas. I'm going to go back to a pair of Heresys with subs to save a little space in the rec room. I can store these, but thought I'd try to sell them first. I purchased these speakers from the original owner about 11 years ago and have been powered with McIntosh equipment by me, as well as the original owner. I'm in Oak Creek, WI...about an hour north of Chicago. I'm about 5 hours from Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit, and Indy.

These speakers have been in a non-smoker, non-pet environment since new. The speakers are currently used in a 1,000 square foot room and they fill it with sound with absolute ease.

Although these vintage La Scala speakers are in fantastic, living room quality, original condition, they have been used and moved over the years, so there are a few bumps here and there. The speaker tops are PLANT RING AND STAIN FREE, but have a few light scratches that show up in a couple of the photos. It was difficult to photograph the light scratches, but I tried to show a couple different angles. Also note the minor chips in the veneer that are present on both speakers. I never touched any of these up or used a stain marker to hide anything, so if these bug you, I'll leave it to the new owner to touch them up as desired.

These are sequentially numbered speakers (8739833 and 8739834) with factory walnut stained with factory lacquer finish, noted by the LS-BLS W/S on the serial number tags. It's not very often that LaScalas came finished at the factory in Hope, AR, as most were raw, or unstained or finished (BR).

I also have factory boxes for these speakers and I am willing to ship these if necessary.

Lastly, these speakers have been upgraded with a pair of Bob Crites AL-3 crossover networks.

Ok, here's the nitty gritty: The speakers weigh about 127 lbs each and each box weighs about 33 lbs, bringing the total for EACH speaker to 160 lbs shipped. Each box is 29"X 29"X 39". I am willing to ship these, but quotes will vary depending on your location. Pickup in zip 53154 can be arranged.

Buyers from Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri (St. Louis area only), Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin: I can offer you competitive shipping rates through Spee-Dee Delivery. Please contact me with your postal code for a quote.

International buyers: Please contact me with your postal code for a quote to your nearest port. I can't ship these internationally directly to your address, just to a port.

U.S. buyers outside the area listed above, please contact me with your zip for a quote. I can usually get boxes this size shipped to the west coast for around $500 total.

IMG_7726Large_zps6824044c.jpg

Edited by tidmack

Sorry for the delay in response, Jason, the week got away from me a bit. Thanks for noticing the Sun machine. I picked it up 5-6 years ago from a local gentleman who owned a service station until the mid 70's. Although it's used mostly for display, I played around with it on a '62 Grand Prix I used to own. The machine still worked at the time and I was impressed with the amount of fine tuning that could be done with it. The manuals that came with it are pretty extensive and I think some fairly regular hands on use would be required to become pretty comfortable/proficient with the machine.

In addition to audio, I'm pretty passionate about cars. I'm always looking for vintage signs and other automotive related equipment. Fun stuff! Have a terrific weekend.

Jeff

Sorry for the delay, I sometimes don't check the forum for a couple days. Let me get you a quote today and I'll PM you this evening. The tweeters on these are K77M and the mids are K55M. I've never opened the doghouse, but I assume the woofers are stock K33's. Thanks again for your interest. Jeff

Sorry for the delay, I sometimes don't check the forum for a couple days. Let me get you a quote today and I'll PM you this evening. The tweeters on these are K77M and the mids are K55M. I've never opened the doghouse, but I assume the woofers are stock K33's. Thanks again for your interest. Jeff

CD, waiting on a call back for a second quote. I'll be in touch. Jeff

. Hi Jeff I would wait for your freight estimates.are the surrounds of the woofers still in shape or you have them refurnished in past year?I am trying to estimate what would be needed so they would play in my HT for the next 10 years.I do have a centre channel with a La Scala mid range and tweeter(K55M,K401 ,K77M with AL-3 from Crites,mated to two 12" woofers in sealed enclosure driven by ss bass amp via electronic X'over.This has much better bass than the La Scala horn loaded 15" woofer and the whole unit is lower in height and stays below the screen.I am not using this at present as I am using two B&W 801 Matrix 3 for L/R and B&W HTM1 for Center all driven with high power SS monoblocs.Would need to use tube amps if L/R become La Scala.Thanks.C D

Hi CD, thanks for the message. The surrounds on Klipsch horn-loaded woofers are quite reliable and don't typically require new surrounds. I suppose this is partially because they're accordion surrounds and not foam. Also, horn-loaded woofers hardly move by design, which helps their long term health. When I look at Heritage line speakers for sale, I check the tweeters, as they're the most prone to blowing and I check the networks to see if they've been recapped. These speakers have a newer set of Crites networks and the tweeters are fine, so those are set. In 20 years of owning Heritage speakers, I've never replaced a blown woofer and I think you'd have to play these speakers at ungodly levels to blow one. These speakers are ready for the long haul, in my opinion. Tell ya what: figure $500 or so for me to get these to you in Austin. If you're sincerely interested (deposit, etc), I'll work to get the quote down a bit. Thanks again.

Jeff

I need to get $2,000 out of these LaScalas and the price reduction reflects the price. Thank you again for the interest, I can ship these! Especially if you're in MN, SD, MO, IA, IL, NE, and ND, I can ship these via SpeeDee Delivery for VERY reasonable prices. Jeff

• 2 weeks later...