Cross Overs... why do we do it?

Schu

I'd like to get PERSONAL opinions on the subject of replacing cross overs in our factory Klipsch speakers, and why do we do it.

What do we hope to gain by replacing these components, and at what point are we reaping diminishing returns on the components involved?

I am sure the factory units are sourced with value in mind in order to control costs, but those of us that have aftermarket cross overs are not subject to that cost analysis in terms of economies of scale.

Do we do it to be able to tune and attenuate our speakers... to hear increased resolution or clarity... or just because we can?

• Like 1

Some of the older caps have aged and their ESR has increased to the point where the voltage going to the drivers inside the loudspeaker is not correct. This affects the crossover point and the lower voltage results in a muffled sound. Replacing the caps restores the loudspeaker to factory new specs.

Some people want a crossover with steeper slopes that may result in improved performance and will offer better driver protection.

Some people like to spend money on expensive components, feeling that if they pay a tithe to the gods of good sound they will surely reach Sonic Nirvana.

• Like 1

Some people like to spend money on expensive components, feeling that if they pay a tithe to the gods of good sound they will surely reach Sonic Nirvana.

Arkansas Klipsch Gathering 2004.

A dozen people agreed that my modified RF-7 networks made a pretty big difference. Before we started, not a single person believed they would hear a difference worth talking about. I replaced the stock components with Kimber capacitors and Mills non-inductive resistors. Trey Cannon of Klipsch wanted to know what I did "to get rid of the ringing". A couple thought I actually put in a different network design. I did/do drop a resistor value in the LCR by .34 ohms. Testing at Klipsch showed a reduction in output of 1.5dB at 3.5kHz, which Trey believed was the thing that was responsible for removing the known (to Klipsch) ringing problem. I went home and put in the stock value, and the only thing I heard was some slightly elevated midrange output. There was no "ringing", and the clean, wide open great sound was still there. It's simply amazing what a handful of "expensive components" can do for a crossover -- just ask anyone that was there. Hey, maybe there's some whacky relationship between cost and performance?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/40764-last-call-arkansas-gathering-this-saturday-may-8th/?hl=arkansas

• Like 2

I had a pair of Belles once that had crossovers that the old oil caps had just gone abit resistive. Back then Bob Crites just replaced the old oil caps with GE oil caps that were available at the time. I wish those big GE cans were still available. They sounded great.

Edited by seti

Members 8,441 posts Offline Posted 58 minutes ago I had a pair of Belles once that had crossovers that the old oil caps had just gone abit resistive. Back then Bob Crites just replaced the old oil caps with GE oil caps that were available at the time. I wish those big GE cans were still available. They sounded great.

The GE 97F series capacitors are still available. They are filled with a different type of oil and sold as motor start capacitors. Unfortunately the smallest size is 4uf and the selection is slim.

Edited by toolz

Arkansas Klipsch Gathering 2004.

A dozen people agreed that my modified RF-7 networks made a pretty big difference. Before we started, not a single person believed they would hear a difference worth talking about. I replaced the stock components with Kimber capacitors and Mills non-inductive resistors. Trey Cannon of Klipsch wanted to know what I did "to get rid of the ringing". A couple thought I actually put in a different network design. I did/do drop a resistor value in the LCR by .34 ohms. Testing at Klipsch showed a reduction in output of 1.5dB at 3.5kHz, which Trey believed was the thing that was responsible for removing the known (to Klipsch) ringing problem. I went home and put in the stock value, and the only thing I heard was some slightly elevated midrange output. There was no "ringing", and the clean, wide open great sound was still there. It's simply amazing what a handful of "expensive components" can do for a crossover -- just ask anyone that was there. Hey, maybe there's some whacky relationship between cost and performance?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/40764-last-call-arkansas-gathering-this-saturday-may-8th/?hl=arkansas

That is good to know. Did Klipsch then adopt the higher quality caps in their stock network?

So many products even aside from audio are compromised by bean counters and marketing guys in their efforts to hit price points. Reminds me of gear heads in the 70's who blue printed their engines so they'd perform as designed.

Edited by coolhandjjl

• 3 weeks later...

Crites just came in:

Taking a breath before the install.

Scotch, Guinness, Cigar, and where in the hell did I put my solder gun?

At the moment im elated at the looks of these units, and the smell of cedar to go along with it.

If these work out as expected, I will be offering the old ones here that seem to still work fine.

And no ,the terminal plates don't come with them. just the crossover boards. These are 'Type AL'

Asking price will be the cost of my current scotch + shipping that makes it a 'C' note.

PM or email me if interested, meanwile, time for the install..........

Funny, don't know how to post a pic here so ill just put them on my Gallery.

Edited by minermark

Im one hour out from complete assembly, two hours from a highly probable visit by Roseville PD.

As far as conductors? this is a Bob Crites design, know when to NOT ask questions from the master, im not, I trust Bob's work.

Taking a min out for dinner, wife comes into the lab and see's a bottle of Lagavulin on the bench, soldering iron in one hand, new "fresh" 12ga wires in the other, all she says is dinner is ready.

I see it because it needs done. Crites puts out the most logical for the cost and is honest to a T so you really cannot go wrong. On top of that the work he does they work great. They always sound so much better. With Dean i'd love to have him do work for me but im broke and i feel like i'd be cheating on Bob. Dean is cutting edge and i'v seen his work as complete works of art. Iv seen some of Deans work and would litterally hang them on the wall. And o yeah the functionality of Deans work is supreme. I have some networks sitting around i use as art in my studio. Crites is the standard of perfection and Dean will open your ears beyond what many thought was even possible. diy is nice although working with the top dealers in the business results in lifetime support and they have the numbers in their mind or very close by

• Like 2