Cross Overs... why do we do it?

Schu

Hearing the artist fingers sliding up and down the strings, is, well........ heaven.

Aint nothing like tubes, 30 years I ran solid state , some of the Bad boy amps of yesteryear, only been into tubes about 5 years.

SS has its place, in Bass, anything Bass, tubes however handle mids and highs. just cannot beat them. ---IMO---

• Like 2

Iv got about an hour to go burning these new Crites in, and at mid volume im pushing the neighborhood, although its only 7pm.

Thought id be nice and do a little Cello..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzfD6XLK7Q

Bet it sounds absolutely flawless. Nice system!

I just read your system specs, yeah your tube spoiled, you know already..........

• Like 2

Iv got about an hour to go burning these new Crites in, and at mid volume im pushing the neighborhood, although its only 7pm.

Thought id be nice and do a little Cello..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzfD6XLK7Q

Bet it sounds absolutely flawless. Nice system!

I just read your system specs, yeah your tube spoiled, you know already..........

I am no doubt lol I have owned some very nice tube equipment as well as very high priced speakers and some remain in my collection but i only use the stuff i get really cheap in price then upgrade to even out the economical part of this hobby.

I absolutely cannot get enough of tube amplification. i cant sleep unless tubes are a button press away. spoiled is a better description. I also like collecting tubes and breaking them in.

I know your the kinda guy that runs them angels on them splits nonstop. its a true addiction

• Like 2

i see you have been running tubes for about 5 years i have now for about 4 yrs. still have some solid states but there used for r&b and movies. everything else is tube.

Well iv been running two channel tubes for ten years but I do not count the first five, learning curve.

Involved in electronics since 10 years old, but my tube stuff was all SSB/Ham linear amps, slowly phasing out of the Ham world.

Class 'A' Amps, tube, once acquired is my passion now.

40+ years talking to the world as a Ham operator has not given me the feeling I can get with an hour of Class A listening.

• Like 2

40+ years talking to the world as a Ham operator has not given me the feeling I can get with an hour of Class A listening.

That is the truth. Love my 2A3 amps, and can't imagine tht even DXing would come close. My brother is a ham radio operator, and i've thought of it myself, but audio seems more satisfiying.

Bruce

• Like 1

Sometimes I get it right, I was correct in figuring a two day slow ramp up to half power in the new Crites crossovers.

Today being the second day, started @17 watts for an hour, then started getting into the heavy metal because I wanted to get that base blossoming,

30 min into the Melvins and Avenged Sevenfold, the base came through, pictures falling off the walls, PC monitor moving on the desk, yeah I think iv got it.

Going for a Guinness, I open the mancave reffer and three cans came out on the floor, it seems they were dancing in the fridge!

No neighbors, no cops, just the wife wandering in asking me to play it again........

What brought me to the forum and what made me stick around is the fact that I yanked out some networks out of some late 80's la scalas and put in a replacement crossover. Realizing I was gonna have to spend piles of money to buy anything that would top that quality. That is the backbone of my existence here....of course then I got a little crazy.

• Like 1

I can hear fingers going up and down the neck of an instrument on my Bluetooth system and iPhone. Let me know when you can hear them breathing.

I can with my 225 grado cans. I will figure out what cd/s i have on an amp(its been a while and kind of irritating although interesting, to hear ambient sounds)and report back. I love my sound room im listening in to be completely silent minus what i fill it with. Interesting you hear this even on/with bluetooth and iphone...mp3? Im strictly cds. My 15year old and my ex wife taught me all i know about iphone music ands not much lol. I always lose quality when they give me burnt/ripped cd's. Yet some are actually better than others, burnt/ripped of course

interesting you pull in sounds from greenland on them ham radios

• Like 2

My point was really just that being able to hear such a thing isn't really an indicator of resolving power or good sound - but yes, if the noise floor is low enough, I can hear stuff like that (on the recordings that have it), pretty easily.

That is the truth. Love my 2A3 amps, and can't imagine tht even DXing would come close. My brother is a ham radio operator, and i've thought of it myself, but audio seems more satisfiying.

Bruce

Ah, 2A3s, my man, yet another of the few great tubes.

I can hear fingers going up and down the neck of an instrument on my Bluetooth system and iPhone. Let me know when you can hear them breathing.

I can with my 225 grado cans. I will figure out what cd/s i have on an amp(its been a while and kind of irritating although interesting, to hear ambient sounds)and report back. I love my sound room im listening in to be completely silent minus what i fill it with. Interesting you hear this even on/with bluetooth and iphone...mp3? Im strictly cds. My 15year old and my ex wife taught me all i know about iphone music ands not much lol. I always lose quality when they give me burnt/ripped cd's. Yet some are actually better than others, burnt/ripped of course

interesting you pull in sounds from greenland on them ham radios

In 40 + years most when I was younger, I learned to say hello and good will in 20 different toungs. had a world map with so many pushpins in it, you could not see the map.

My dad got me a CB radio when it was only 3 channels, I built more power, bigger antennas and still wanted MORE. no matter what I had or could talk to, it was never enough.

Kind of sounds like this little hobby we have here eh?

My reason is because I wanted to make the Chorus II's I bought used on Craigslist to be my own. I have been running a lets say reference 35 system for years. I thought about RF7's but a buddy of mine has had a set of II's for years...I really like em. After getting nowhere trying to get him to sell me his (they been in storage for 5 years). I decided to look for a used pair on my own.

After looking a few (not a lot) I found a pair about 2 hours from home. Kind of a strange transaction... The first scheduled audition date was canceled while I was driving there.

I was told he was very sorry and had a family emergency . I will admit my disappointment but (S...) happens. I did contact him and let him know that if things change that I was still interested

(never expecting to hear from him again). Three weeks went buy and finally he contacted me and said " This saturday between 11:00 and 1:00". Got there noticed they were in great shape .

He was running an older Marantz receiver . Gave him my Stevey Ray cd and I guess the rest is clear. (setteled for a little less that asking) thought it was a fair price.

Loaded them into my wifes SUV and got them home and had them setup that day. (moved the RF35's to the rears). Everything really sounded GREAT. Now I kept thinking I need a center to match. So I bought a Academy from a guy on this forum. After thinking about it a bit and researching options. I decided an a set of Bob's crossovers and diaghprams for both mid and tweeter.

I am glad I did. I'm not I a guy with all this test equipment to measure the difference. I just think they sound better. And knowing what is what is a good thing also. The instructions on Bob's site are easy to follow. The next project will to do the same to the Academy...If I ever get a cabinet built that it will fit in

Edited by oldred

Some people like to spend money on expensive components, feeling that if they pay a tithe to the gods of good sound they will surely reach Sonic Nirvana.

Arkansas Klipsch Gathering 2004.

A dozen people agreed that my modified RF-7 networks made a pretty big difference. Before we started, not a single person believed they would hear a difference worth talking about. I replaced the stock components with Kimber capacitors and Mills non-inductive resistors. Trey Cannon of Klipsch wanted to know what I did "to get rid of the ringing". A couple thought I actually put in a different network design. I did/do drop a resistor value in the LCR by .34 ohms. Testing at Klipsch showed a reduction in output of 1.5dB at 3.5kHz, which Trey believed was the thing that was responsible for removing the known (to Klipsch) ringing problem. I went home and put in the stock value, and the only thing I heard was some slightly elevated midrange output. There was no "ringing", and the clean, wide open great sound was still there. It's simply amazing what a handful of "expensive components" can do for a crossover -- just ask anyone that was there. Hey, maybe there's some whacky relationship between cost and performance?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/40764-last-call-arkansas-gathering-this-saturday-may-8th/?hl=Arkansas

I wouldn't consider Kimber Kaps or Mills resistors to be particularly expensive - I've used both before. I was referring to the boutique brands that cost 3 figures a piece that don't offer any audibly apparent advantage over some of the more reasonably priced alternatives.