Which receiver

loudandclear

Update: I have learned that he is also selling a AU9500 integrated amp. Any thoughts or opinions on going that route instead. I realize I would be losing out on the tuner section but with that aside would either piece perform equally or would one be better than the other. Thanks again. Btw 400 for it as well and i forgot to mention earlier they both have wood cases if that matters.

It really is up to you and your specific application / tastes. The 9090 is rated at 125 w into 8 ohm, the 9500 is rated at 85 watts into 8 ohms and the 2220 is rated at 20 watts into 8 ohms.

I personally would go with the 9090 as it has the highest output (built in a time when 125 watts really meant 125 watts of pure, clean output) and the best looking of the three, IMHO as I love the needle meters on this stuff. I would have that thing completely tuned up and sitting on my table as a centerpiece in my living room for sure.

I would probably hook the Marantz up in the garage. Not that it is a bad unit, but this particular model is rather low end in comparison and it would do fine for something like that.

The 9500 would be cool if you plan on having a ton of other components hooked up in a totally restored vintage system as it appears to have a bit more inputs and outputs than the other two, but it is neither as powerful or visually pleasing as the 9090, again, IMHO.

The only tech in the state (that I trust) charges $95 an hour +parts. He charges 2-3 hours to recap an entire Marantz 22xx and fully burn in, adjust bias, etc. Maybe a bit more if there are more serious issues broader replacements, but I have never run across that. I am sure you can find someone on the web to fully rebuild a sansui in the same ballpark price.

Wood cases will help you resell if they are in good shape. Ebay wants ~$130 all day long for old wood cases or even new re-productions.

Search Ebay for "market value".

It really is a balancing act based on condition of the unit. If the unit is in decent shape and everything works, I think you have a deal at $400 as you could easily flip it for a profit on Ebay. If meters don't work, inputs down work, bulbs are burned out, static or crackling on some of the knobs, etc I think $400 is a tad high.

Probably plan on getting it serviced. Something is bound to give up at some point in the near future (if it hasn't already).