Kpt-484s with LSI's

McMiRA

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of kpt 484s and possibly a Yamaha p5000s amp. I am wondering how they will mesh with my LSI's equipped with k43 woofers ct125s and the c4500 crossovers and eventually port mod. Will I be gaining any bottom end or just more punch? Was going to use them as 2 ch for now and eventually migrate them into a heritage theater.

I originally planned on doing a pair of THT's but the price is right on these and kind of hard to pass up. Was looking at their specs and their sensitivity and output is right up there with the la scalas.

La Scala 104db@1w/1m. 121db max

53hz-17khz

Kpt-484 102db@1w/1m. 125db max

40hz-1khz(+-)4db (-10db @ 29hz)

Just don't know what to expect from them. I'm one la Scala away from a 5.1 setup and once I acquire it I will roll everything into the theater but for now was going to use them for music. Are these worth a try? Would they compliment a pair of THT's once set in my home theater or would they not fill a void in frequency or punch?

I keep hearing don't mix direct with horns, now here's my question. Why? I'm curious as to what happens to the sound?

The sound out of a direct radiator hits your ears faster than a horn sub does due to the fact that the sound has to travel the length of the horn before it exits. The difference in time puts one slightly out of phase with the other and smears the bass.

Is this something that could be worked out with phase controls or even audyessy?

Phase is your enemy here.

Never heard of anybody getting it to sound correct.

Maybe you could get away with it using a steep slope crossover but i think it would be more trouble than its worth.

You can mix two similar horns like the Table Tuba & the THT if you feel the need to mix up some subwoofers.

Is this something that could be worked out with phase controls or even audyessy?

You'd have to delay the direct radiator sub's signal.

Was wondering about that earlier. Would the non-directivity of a sub be overcome by facing the sub in reverse position toward the wall, thence echoing the physical position of the folded horn?

Thanks!