Upgrade Dilema

JAKEETON

Hello everyoneere

I thought I would seek some expert advice concerning my sub upgrade. I've recently purchased RF 7's and the 64. At the present I'm still using my Rw 12d. The last thing I need to upgrade. I've decided to go with SVS for my new sub. Using their Merlin tool on the web it suggests the following choices:

PB 13 Ultra

PC 13 Ultra-Cylinder sub

SB 13 Ultra

My problem is space against my wall. The PB 13 would have been my first choice. It just won't fit in the space I have. I would have to place it behind me someplace that the wife would accept.No easy task I might add.I really wanted the sub in the front of the room.I see SVS recommends placing their subs with the other speakers.

The other two subs would fit into the space I have. I've never owned a cylinder sub before but that's not a problem.Which way would you guys go? Put the big guy in the rear of the room,or get one of the others? My room is 12" x 30" with hardwood floors.

That's a big room. I've owned dual PB-13 ultras before. What kind of bass levels are you looking for? Have you ever heard of seaton submersive? Try looking it up. It's a bit pricier but one will equal almost two Svs in output so to me a fantastic extra bit of money spent.

I used to think Svs was as good as it gets and they are great but it takes a big serious driver to move air in a room that size. Seaton also makes an F2 which stands upright but has dual 15's. They are drop dead gorgeous as well. Lots of finishes to choose from. Also there is a company called psa subwoofers. A guy from Svs owns it. They also make a version of the F2 and it also comes in nice finishes. Also from the cabinet veneer pics and color options I almost wanna say them and seaton may use the same source for cabinet veneer.

Never heard of Seaton before. My home theatre is mainly used for movies. I'm trying to stay at $2000 for my sub. I know whatever I do will be an improvement. I'm stuck with the room and I just gotta do the best I can within budget. I'm going to look up the other companies you mentioned. I'm flexible and open to suggestions.Thanks

I looked at subs from Rythmic,PSA and HSU. They all fit well in my budget. From what I read these subs all stack up pretty good against the SVS line. HSU looked really promising. Good pricing as well. I have some options. It just drives me nuts deciding which way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would let you guys know what I went with on my upgrade. After much agonizing, I went with the SVS PC 13 Ultra cylinder. With the space I had to work with it was the best fit. My wife says it looks like we have a water heater in the corner of the living room. She didn't give me to much grief though. I gotta say I just love this sub. After using a SPL meter to calibrate my system I was just blown away. I've never had it so good. I finally got a complete system that I'm happy with. This sub absolutely blows my old Klipsch sub away. Everything turned out better than I hoped. Money well spent for sure. I can't say enough about the customer service from SVS either. They were very patient with all my questions on the phone and many emails. It's gonna be a great weekend to demo my new setup!

• Like 1

So far I just couldn't be happier. The improvement in the sound quality was more than I expected. I wish I had made this purchase long ago. My wife even had positive comments while watching some movies and that's extremely rare. I've got the sub next to a RF 7 so it really blends well into the room. The cylinder shape isn't an issue at all which was a major concern of the wife. Adding this sub should pretty much be the end of my upgrade bug. That will really please the wife.

Adding this sub should pretty much be the end of my upgrade bug.

That's SO funny. The bug is not killed so easily.

you should always add small print to such statements.

"Adding this sub should pretty much be the end of my upgrade bug."*

*in this system, in this room, for this specific purpose.

• Like 1