want to record to thumb drive for playback in the car.

Taz

12 hours to format a flash drive? No way... Something is either wrong with the computer of that thumbdrive. Is this flashdrive using U3? If so, you can use the U3 removal tool, which can be downloaded at Sandisk here: http://u3.sandisk.com/launchpadremoval.htm It is the only way to get rid of it. Even formatting won't.

One more thing. There is a good chance that your car stereo won't be able to read exFAT. It is proprietary. FAT32 is what you should use. Here is a link: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/312/kw/u3/session/L3RpbWUvMTM4OTkzNzAwNy9zaWQvV0ZOczJBS2w%3D It should only take a minute or two.

Edited by mustang guy

Well I tried transferring from windows explorer into a file I started on the thumb drive. Did not work. Tried transferring from windows explorer to another thumb drive. Did not work. Formatted a small drive from FAT to FAT32 and copied from windows explorer to small thumb drive. did not work.

Did find out that both FAT and FAT32 does work when I use WMA to record to thumb drives, but notif I use windows explorer.

Why I don't know. Maybe I will have to move everything I want to save off the hard drive and use the disk that was provided when I bought the computer and take it back to where it was when new. Then maybe I can drag and drop the thumb drive into WMA and record?

In your first sentence you said something that didn't quite make sense to me.

"...file I started on the thumb drive."

Does this mean you successfully made a "folder" on the thumb drive? I think we may be on to something...

I have been able to make a folder as you described and also able to put songs into the file. However when I attempt to play the thumb drive in the car it says "unsupported" or "no USB Detected."

I formatted a 2GB drive that I had had music on with FAT32 and and put music on it using music explorer. When I attempted to play in the car, it would go from song to song and say unsupported.

When I tried to reformat the128GB from exFAT to FAT32 It got 90 some percent then stated the drive was too large.

The car stereo says "MP3/WMA/AAC"

I wish I could get Windows media player to record to USB as it used to do.

John

In your first sentence you said something that didn't quite make sense to me.

"...file I started on the thumb drive."

Does this mean you successfully made a "folder" on the thumb drive? I think we may be on to something...

I have been able to make a folder as you described and also able to put songs into the file. However when I attempt to play the thumb drive in the car it says "unsupported" or "no USB Detected."

I formatted a 2GB drive that I had had music on with FAT32 and and put music on it using music explorer. When I attempted to play in the car, it would go from song to song and say unsupported.

When I tried to reformat the128GB from exFAT to FAT32 It got 90 some percent then stated the drive was too large.

The car stereo says "MP3/WMA/AAC"

I wish I could get Windows media player to record to USB as it used to do.

John

Fat32 supports max 128GB with two reserve clusters Windows 95 and 98. In Windows 2000 and NT, the limit for FAT32 is 32GB. The actual limit of FAT32 is theoretically 8TB.

Try going into Disk Manager and creating a primary partition on the thumb of 120GB. Format that partition using Quick format.

Try using the thumb drive normally with Windows Media player if you wish.