What direction is Klipsch going in?

prerich

My fears are starting to come to pass. I see that more attention is being paid to the portable/wifi area than any other (IMHO). My question is what's Klipsch vision for the future? I'm beginning to see similarities of what happened to Altec Lansing and Acoustic Research. Looking at CES I saw a lot of lifestyle products for sale, mainly headsets (gaming), Bluetooth speakers, and the like, I also saw another company totally abandon its founding principles...Thiel. The new speakers say nothing of the heritage of that great company, the new speakers will be something different all together. With Klipsch it seems that the Heritage line is just a monument to the past, and the Palladium line is similar to Snell's death knell (with the fantastic Illusion loudspeaker, then the company goes belly up). I know Klipsch is going to be around for a while - but I'm afraid that the direction is shifting drastically. I'm just marking time right now to see what happens (things like canceling lines like the Palladium and or RF) if those things happen ....look out.

My hope is that Klipsch stays relevant not only in the mass market, but in the mid to high-end speaker market as well. Do any of you see any changes that "disturb" you at all? Chime in if you do - or if you don't. I would like to hope that I'm just being paranoid - but like I said ...I've seen this show before.

• Like 1

Fears?! I'm not afraid of anything Klipsch as a corporation does, will do, or doesn't do.

From johnnydrama's link;

In the case of Kings of Leon, Klipsch was looking for a band with new music and an upcoming U.S. and/or world tour.

Not only does the band have a 26-stop U.S. tour running from January through April, the Kings—like Klipsch—had never embarked on such a title sponsorship venture “and like us, they’re a family. Even during hard times, they always come back together,” Jacobs said.

Not only that, but the Kings offered a perfect demographic mix for Klipsch.

“We haven’t signed up a bunch of rap artists,” Jacobs said. “That’s not who we are. The Kings of Leon started by appealing to a kind of hipster crowd, and then they’ve broadened.”

The effort for Klipsch to more aggressively market to music lovers dates back to late 2011 when the company signed a deal with Live Nation to be the title sponsor to the 24,000-seat Noblesville amphitheater formerly known as the Verizon Wireless Music Center. Subsequently, Klipsch has signed deals with similar venues in New York, Miami, Los Angeles and Toronto.

In order to develop loud speakers and sell niche items the company first and foremost has to stay in business and be profitable. Niche products like Heritage speakers won't get you there. You have to sell what the masses want to be able to cater to the minority (us).

• Like 5

In order to develop loud speakers and sell niche items the company first and foremost has to stay in business and be profitable. Niche products like Heritage speakers won't get you there. You have to sell what the masses want to be able to cater to the minority (us).

Exactly...

My fears are starting to come to pass. I see that more attention is being paid to the portable/wifi area than any other (IMHO). My question is what's Klipsch vision for the future? I'm beginning to see similarities of what happened to Altec Lansing and Acoustic Research. Looking at CES I saw a lot of lifestyle products for sale, mainly headsets (gaming), Bluetooth speakers, and the like, I also saw another company totally abandon its founding principles...Thiel. The new speakers say nothing of the heritage of that great company, the new speakers will be something different all together. With Klipsch it seems that the Heritage line is just a monument to the past, and the Palladium line is similar to Snell's death knell (with the fantastic Illusion loudspeaker, then the company goes belly up). I know Klipsch is going to be around for a while - but I'm afraid that the direction is shifting drastically. I'm just marking time right now to see what happens (things like canceling lines like the Palladium and or RF) if those things happen ....look out.

My hope is that Klipsch stays relevant not only in the mass market, but in the mid to high-end speaker market as well. Do any of you see any changes that "disturb" you at all? Chime in if you do - or if you don't. I would like to hope that I'm just being paranoid - but like I said ...I've seen this show before.

when was the last time you bought a brand new pair of heritage speakers, either from Klipsch or an authorized dealer?

Can't afford them. Or, rather won't, at this time & those prices.

and you're not alone. so why on earth would klipsch put any amount of effort in competing with 60 years of their own products which are saturating the used market and at steep discounts to new?

I have the new $400 KMC-3. It's versatile, portable, solidly built, and looks damn sexy. Whenever I take it to getherings people are impressed by the sound and almost immediately say how expensive it looks/acts. But the device is no more expensive than it needs to be. Their headphone line gets nothing but high marks. I think they are still completely within the company's founding principles while still adapting modern technology and trends ..why does that warrant a chicken little response?

Does anyone look at Apple and say "what are those wayward business men thinking? Have they forsaken their Apple IIc fanbase? WIRELESS PHONES?? I scoff at thee and foreshadow your demise .. muwhahahah."

Welcome to 2014 prerich.

• Like 1

For decades US auto builders had flagship cars that all envied but few could afford, like Lincoln, Cadillac, Imperial. Those vehicles never accounted for a significant part of the big 3s profits, but you'd see a lot of advertising for them. Everyone purchased as close to the top as they could. Here the parallel ends as today a Ford Fusion is more reliable and feature packed than a Lincoln of 20 years ago. Technology has become an equal opportunity. However, the Klipschorn remains a flagship loudspeaker of dreams for most. Technology hasn't lowered the cost of fine cabinetry and drivers.

Heritage remains a draw and carries a reputation, though as mentioned, it is not a growth vehicle. I think Klipsch understands the value of the "Legend" in maintaining a tradition for unequaled quality and cost performance. I'd be more comfortable if I knew every new factory and marketing employee were getting at least a half day immersion in the Six Card, PWK, and Heritage (Note to Klipsch: As a training professional, I'd be happy to put that together for you, expenses only :D) such that the continuity and philosophy is maintained.

Dave

• Moderators

We are getting ready to launch an complete new line of R.... oh, crap, I'm probably not supposed to say anything yet.

Rest your fears. This is the year of copper. We're not going anywhere. Either is the Heritage line.

• Like 10

We are getting ready to launch an complete new line of R.... oh, crap, I'm probably not supposed to say anything yet.

Rest your fears. This is the year of copper. We're not going anywhere. Either is the Heritage line.

This is awesome news! I thought it was about time for a Klipsch REFresh.

• Like 1

Yea, you don't want to "leak" information after CES :rolleyes:;)

I heard a pair of what looked like the "r" speakers at CES. It was crowded and noisey in the hall but they sounded punchy and nice.

The Queen is skilled at the art of tease.