Cornwalls / Heresy for LCR or JBL 3677

photo142

I am looking for a little advice in picking speakers for my home theatre. Anyone ever compared the Cornwalls to the JBL 3677's in a Home Theatre setup , where occasional music will also be played. I am wondering if a setup of Cornwalls as LR and a single Heresy as the center channel would be advised. I know that it is best to use the same speaker as LCR, but was trying to trim the costs a bit. My other choice would be to use two Cornwall III's as the lr and get an older cornwall for the center. Any advice would be appreciated.

Does anyone know how the JBL line handles music.

Thanks

The Heresy was designed as a center channel to be placed on the floor between 2 K Horns.

Don't break your budget over this, the Heresy will be fine as a center (and as the center will handle most of the info for movies).

JBL makes some very fine speakers, but 2 new cornwalls and a new heresy center sounds like a wonderful system that you will be very proud of and satisfied with.

EDIT - and I forgot to say, one that you can hang on and use to for 20 or 30 years or more.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns
  • Like 1

All three the same up front... You will thank me later.

Well, I'm using 2 Corns and a Heresy for the center and I love it!!!! I used to use three Heresy speakers for the LCR...and I loved that too! However - the Corns are just on a different level when I revert to 2 channel music.

The same speaker across the front are a pro audio standard, see what Grammy, Dolby, and THX recommend to learn more. I agree with this. However, if using behind an acoustically transparent screen, you will sacrifice both audio and video (unless you have high powered projector ($$$$$) or an elaborate Equalizer and engineered room (more $$$$$$$))

I have Klipschorns, and while a Klipschorn center would be pretty neat it is not practical. I have Lascala center but,in my previous living room, it was too tall to place under a screen, where the movie picture didn't look "right." (There is a spec out there for screen height) I may try to return to the Lascala as a center.

Still, I think the Heresy as a center recommendation is a great one. Owners may have to adjust the output levels to match a 100dB/w/m+ speaker.

Interesting topic!

However, if using behind an acoustically transparent screen, you will sacrifice both audio and video (unless you have high powered projector ($$$$$) or an elaborate Equalizer and engineered room (more $$$$$$$))

The OP did not mention screens, but I disagree on both fronts. For video, sure an AT screen has less gain than an opaque screen, but you don't need a super light canon for one either. I have no problems with this using a BenQ W6000. For audio, my mid-grade screen has about a 1 dB attenuation that is pretty even, so no EQ required.

However, if using behind an acoustically transparent screen, you will sacrifice both audio and video (unless you have high powered projector ($$$$$) or an elaborate Equalizer and engineered room (more $$$$$$$))

The OP did not mention screens, but I disagree on both fronts. For video, sure an AT screen has less gain than an opaque screen, but you don't need a super light canon for one either. I have no problems with this using a BenQ W6000. For audio, my mid-grade screen has about a 1 dB attenuation that is pretty even, so no EQ required.

They will be behind an acoustic screen.

Well, now you are down to budget and what you like in sound.

If you want the 'best value' get the Heresy III in black across the front. They are a shallow depth design, work with ANY receiver and will play LOUD.

Note: Recommend stands. You must use a high pass crossover or set the receiver's bass management for the LCR to "Small"

It only gets better from there.^