DIY sub

NBPK402

It's about 600 watts per driver. I use a Behringer EP-2500 (EP-4000 now) wired @ 2 Ohms a channel. I may have left a little in the tank but I didn't want to break anything.

Have you had any issues at all with running the EP @ 2 Ohms? I've heard conflicting reports and wanna get your take on it.

It's about 600 watts per driver. I use a Behringer EP-2500 (EP-4000 now) wired @ 2 Ohms a channel. I may have left a little in the tank but I didn't want to break anything.

Have you had any issues at all with running the EP @ 2 Ohms? I've heard conflicting reports and wanna get your take on it.

Over 7 years without a hick up.

HT doesn't tax an amp like using it for live sound does. It's not constantly being pounded when you're watching a movie like it is for DJ or concert type use.

I am torn between doing the IB setup and going horn loaded... I have seen the TubaHT and the THSPUD... Both look like they would be easy enough for me to build and less expensive than the IB setup. The more I look the more confused I am. The Tuba HD looks like it would do everything I want at a low power just like I want but when I look online I hear that the IB will go lower and louder with the same power... But then I see how much power the IB will need and how much the horn loaded will need and it seems the tuned horn is the winner.

Can someone explain to me why I would want to go with either of these setups? I would like to hit reference levels (HT) with 400w or less @15hz or lower.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 1

Already have. Bass response is very room-dependent anyway, but I don't recall people bragging about the 15 Hz capability of the THT. BTW I didn't say that I couldn't shake the house with 20W; I just wouldn't be doing it at 15 Hz. I put in a high-pass filter in the low teens anyway to avoid over-excursion.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/120571-diy-sub-for-klipschorn-based-ht-and-music-tuba-ht-build-done-except-for-finish/page-26#entry1664879

rew-sub-fr-witheq-20131108.png

Another horn sub design to look at is the Cinema F20. Doesn't go much (any?) lower than the THT (solid at 20hz, but not much below) but much easier to build (but bigger footprint). It has fewer pieces than a THT and after cutting wood it only took an afternoon to assemble. By contrast my tuba table was a PITA to put together, though still a very nice sub.

The Mini DSP should be adequate. Amps like the Behringer DSP units have a very nice DSP and have plenty of power to drive a HT subwoofer. As far as quickness of a sub, that is more related to proper integration and setup.

Edited by derrickdj1

Do you mean Tuba HT? No way you can hit 15 Hz hard with it AFAIK. I'd say 19 Hz. So maybe go IB?

Maybe if you could extend the THT hornpath another 6', but that would require wrapping the horn around two more sides of the existing driver, and the horn mouth would be as big as the whole THT you started with.

Do you mean Tuba HT? No way you can hit 15 Hz hard with it AFAIK. I'd say 19 Hz. So maybe go IB?

Maybe if you could extend the THT hornpath another 6', but that would require wrapping the horn around two more sides of the existing driver, and the horn mouth would be as big as the whole THT you started with.

To reach 15 Hz you mean?

Here is a question... If I was able to find a set of plans for a THSPUD, could a person make it 22" instead of 11" wide and put in 18"ers to get the efficiency up and dig deeper? Maybe run 2 of them behind the screen plus 2 THSPUDs under the back row seats.

To reach 15 Hz you mean?

yes