Piecing together Ultra2 system

aaronram

I have been working for the past year to piece together a 7.2 Ultra2 system. I am currently using 3x KL-525s as my fronts and KS-525s as me surrounds.

I recently purchased a B&K 4430 from another forum member to match my 7250 and found a killer deal on 2x KL-650s. Until I find the 3rd KL-650 (it could be a while until I find one at a good price), would you guys recommend I use the 2x KL-650 as my L and R with one KL-525 as my center? Or would that produce too much of a missed matched sound? The other option would be to use the 650s as my side speakers until the 3rd is purchased and keep the 3x 525 up front.

When I do finally get the 3rd 650, what should I do with the extra 525? Selling it is not something I would like to do, but I also do not want to store it. Would it make sense to do a 8.1?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks for the input, unfortunately my Pioneer VSX-23 does not have dual center channel outputs. I might try a rca splitter and see what happens. Another thought is to modify the extra KL-525 as an ipod dock for the patio. It may not be the best music speaker, but it would still sound better than 90% of the docks on the market.

Ian, I am south of you in Tucson, Bear Down!

Regarding two center channels, I can play with it, as it will not hurt the speakers. If anything else, it would be an afternoon of drinking beer, doing what I love to do most, and scratching a curiosity I have had for a while.

Having two center channels is not necessarily a good thing. There can be comb filter, lobbing problems. If you have a good center channel in a HT, it should do the job.

Yeah I wouldn’t use two centers myself even with my Anthem D2v and ARC im happy with just my KL-650 front and center providing some o the finest center channel home theater sound I’ve heard. I was just suggesting something out of the blue since he doesn’t want to part with it but me myself id sell it to fund the last KL-650.

sounds like a great start to a HT system... post pictures when you get it near where you feel satisfied.

KL system with separate amps would be heaven!

I use Separates with Kl’s 3 KL-650s, Anthem A2 and A5 with D2v and I agree Schu it’s heaven. The hard part is walking downstairs leaving the theater and going back to reality. Youth talked me into using the THX Ultra 2 for my theater and it probably is the best decision I made in 2013. Well and getting married but the THX Ultra 2 was still the best decision lol

... post pictures when you get it near where you feel satisfied.

I dont think I will get to the satisfied point, but I will definitely post pictures once I have all the speakers set up.

Scrappy's thread on his DIY Stereo Integrity subs had be thinking of ditching my SVS subs and putting in a pair of 18's DIY subs. That is something that may wait until 2015, when I have an actual dedicated HT. In the mean time, I want to try my hand in room eq'ing. Thinking of purchasing a calibration mic from MiniDSP and see what shows up on REW.

I have also heard that they were going to discontinue some of their woofers. Unfortunately, I will have to let these ones go. Hopefully, in a year, I will find something comparable. I did eyeball their 24" woofer. Does any one know if it would be suitable for home theater in a sealed box? Or would 2x $400 18" woofers be a better option? That would be a very viable option, once I get around to the project.