Klipsch KPT-1802-HLS Horn Subwoofer

Turbox

It sounds great, other than being a Horn, and having a different type of sound than my Direct Radiating KPT-684, You dont really notice a difference in tones for music. My KPT684 went low enough for all the music i like to listen to. Having said that, I downloaded some garbage(and it is garbage) that my kids listen to, and i can notice a difference right away in how deep it will dig, especially with the synthesized bass coming from the cabinet. I watached a movie last night as well. I did notice a difference there as well in how deep it goes. The efficiency of the Horn is amazing compared to the direct radiating. Even at low low volume i can feel the bass in the floors.

The 18 inch driver is in the top half of the cabinet, the vent is in the bottom half. Check out these pics. Never seen anything like it before.

post-55152-0-27260000-1393693620_thumb.j

post-55152-0-52020000-1393693631_thumb.j

Edited by Turbox

If you haven't already experienced it with your Jubs, when the driver loosens up over time it'll sound even better.

Every one of the six horn subs I've built took a few days of good flogging to settle-in and yield peak performance.

Most notably was an increase in fidelity at the upper end of the pass band.

Try throwing in material with severe clipping like TRON Legacy or Kanye West and let it bake for an entire evening at 10V. Then come back and listen to some classical or jazz to hear the difference in transient quality.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

Quiet Hollow is absolutely correct, i believe it takes quite some time until a driver is fully broken in. I run all my drivers for a minimum of 24 hours before install and still it gets better sounding over time.

What i do is run a 10- 20 Hz sweep then 10-15 Hz at night so not to bother anybody.

I after around 100 hours if playtime it will sound as good as its going to.

The efficiency of the Horn is amazing compared to the direct radiating.

I would love to hear this thing one day. What did you mean by the above statement? You saying the This sub is more efficient than the 684's?

Wow........awesome.

I am confused by what I see. You say driver in top half and vent in bottom half. The "vent" looks like a passive radiator facing the rear of the cabinet. I assume the driver on top is facing the rear and the horn comes around the sides like a Jub......with the top and bottom halves vented into one another? Is that right?

It almost looks like a kind of Danley tapped horn.........but with a passive radiator...........or a parallel path on bottom with a passive.

Just trying to understand how this is configured. Can you explain?

Love the matching Jub/sub thing. Well done!!

Edited by mark1101

The 18 inch driver is on the top, and faces forward. wraps around to the back, and wraps again, and comes out the front.

I should take the back off the sub to see whats going on in there with the Vent/passive. Not sure about the Vent/passive yet...

post-55152-0-46520000-1393876620_thumb.j