Klipsch KPT-1802-HLS Horn Subwoofer

Turbox

Ah.........makes sense to me now. Same basic horn design as a Jub but the bottom chamber has a drone (passive radiator) and the top and bottom chambers are vented into one another. I guess that makes it all work right. Very cool. Congrats on heh beautiful matching combo you now have. Really awesome stuff!!!!

So do you think the new sub is better for music or cinema?...or have you noticed a difference in quality?

You think one of those keeps up with the "quickness" of the jubes?

Beautiful match I should say.

KPT-1802-HLS Subwoofer

Frequency Response: 26Hz-240Hz +/- 3dB; f10: 21Hz-500Hz -10dB (3M, Half-space anechoic)

SENSITIVITY: 100 db @ 2.83V (SPL at 1M, half-spaced anechoic with 2.83 volts input)

KPT-684

Frequency Response: 34Hz - 1.8kHz(+-)4dB (-10dB @ 25Hz)

SENSITIVITY: 105dB @ 1 watt/1 meter

You made me laugh twice. First was when I was looking at the pictures and the last one with the dog. How funny, and how appropriate since you thought you might be in the dog house yourself when wifey comes home. Then you cracked me up about the shoes. Good one!

I was trying to guess how the horn was fashioned back when Jason first posted the thread about this sub.

The 18 inch driver is on the top, and faces forward. wraps around to the back, and wraps again, and comes out the front.

I should take the back off the sub to see whats going on in there with the Vent/passive. Not sure about the Vent/passive yet...

Drawing1.jpg

Looks a lot different than my guess:

kpt1802gutsguess.jpg

I can see they have some serious bracing in that thing. I found it interesting how they fastened the bracing. Looks like 1" square wood beside the actual brace and well glued. It definitely looks more solid than just the brace alone.

I should open up the back and have a look, because in the top half as i said the driver, but i dont see a passive in there at all, just a bunch of vent holes in the bottom half, where a driver would go.

For me, accoustically, i think the match is better for both music and movies being a horn. i dont think i could have found a better match for my Jubilee's. i turned it up a little. Its just as punchy as the 684. Its so clean at high volumes. My house didnt like it. neither did the neighbours. At no point were there any signs of reaching a limit, it just keeps on giving...

So Sunday, after its been in the house a couple days, the wife says to me...Her: "your done right?", Me: "With what?", Her: "Speakers", Me: "Not sure yet", Her: "Well your going to have to get rid of some if your getting more, there's no room for our couch anymore"

I will give her that, i'd have to "Displace" something in order to upgrade, but im not done yet. My dream system is just starting to come togethor. Another upgrade next year(or this one), who is she trying to kid...

I can be sure of one thing, i wont be getting a bigger sub(but i'd like to get one more). i couldnt get anything larger in the door.

I pulled my Tron Movie, i think thats a must see now....

You could always tell the wife that there's places in the room where the bass response has dips in volume caused by room modes and you will probably need another matching subwoofer to resolve this issue. Another pair of shoes may be in order.

• Like 1

BTW, Two 12" driver is the same as one 18" driver in terms of radiation area. Since your new horn sub has an 18 and a passive, it should have the same power.

18=1017

15=706

12=452

10=314

two 12's would only be 904 , one 18 is 1017

Comparing the actual Sd data from Eminence on their Delta 12A vs. Sigma 18, I get 1064 for the two 12's and 1140 for the 18, which is only 7% more. Close enough for government work. All drivers vary a bit in their radiation area depending on shape and suspension ring size. I'll stick to my original comment.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...