Klipsch KPT-1802-HLS Horn Subwoofer

Turbox

I asked Roy what two 18 inch woofers in this horn would sound like. He said it sounds good but it will not go as deep as the single 18 with the ports.

The first prototype had a drone but there were some problems with it and this caused Roy to use the ports instead of the drone. The k-472 is an 8 ohm driver and there were some issues with amps clipping because of the 93 volts. He then switched to the k-473 which is 4 ohms and around 60 volts, this solved the amp clipping aggravation.

Kevin

Edited by kharmondds
  • Like 1

I asked Roy what two 18 inch woofers in this horn would sound like. He said it sounds good but it will not go as deep as the single 18 with the ports.

The first prototype had a drone but there were some problems with it and this caused Roy to use the ports instead of the drone. The k-472 is an 8 ohm driver and there were some issues with amps clipping because of the 93 volts. He then switched to the k-473 which is 4 ohms and around 60 volts, this solved the amp clipping aggravation.

Kevin

Very interesting. It actually makes sense to me with other up to date Danley designs. I would love to hear these and believe i will have a chance in about 2 months thankfully.

• Like 2

Roy was explaining to me that the 1802 will out perform two QSC cinema subs. So we are comparing a single 18" driver in a vented horn loaded enclosure against two direct radiators. QSC uses 21" driver in a ported box. The two 21" inch woofers when pushed hard at certain frequencies will experience "port chuffing". This is not pleasing to our ears. The low frequencies reproduced by the 1802 are much cleaner, that's why a lot of folks love properly designed horns and the lack of distortion that goes with them :)

Kevin Harmon

If it outperforms twin 21" woofers, it will certainly oupterform Klipsch's own twin 18's. Otherwise, why bother? Horns still rule the Universe!

I just showed my wife this, as I was told I could put what ever I want in the basement. She just shut me down, as it would take up so much space my gear would end up in the upstairs living room. So I guess everybody has a limit. Very cool pictures, thanks for sharing.

Edited by duder1982

everything about this sub is the real deal.

No kidding. Roy has been a brilliant, prolific, yet, modest, horn designer for Klipsch right out of college. He's unstoppable. I reckon' he has had LOTS of other prototypes of all kinds for all kinds of horns and other types of speakers boxes before shipping "the black ones!!"

Edited by ClaudeJ1

My wife looked at the sub and says "You've got a real problem". and I said, "look, I don't complain about your shoes..." that was the end of that story. lol.

I was going to suggest you borrow the "Twins" and maybe you wife would not even notice the new equipment. :D

.................10-15 Hz at night so not to bother anybody.

Riiiight. ROTFLMAO!

Raw driver attached to the motorboard for break in, i talc the wood to be sure it clears the surround before install.

Hooked up right in the room where i sleep through the night, can't hear a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

everything about this sub is the real deal.

Real deal indeed for real theaters and huge rooms. What is interesting, in terms of principle, is that in comparison, Danley DTS-10's are 1/2 the thickness (Z dimension) and roughly the same XY, so half the volume against the wall. They are also 100 db/watt, go an octave lower, cost about the same per cabinet, also weigh 300 lbs, and the twin 12" drivers (also made by Eminence) are equivalent to one 18". It appears the DTS-10 is about a 24 foot long horn, but the port (horn mouth) is only 16x20"

Having the extra 18", driver even though it's passive, give twice the source radiation area and the horn mouth on the Klipsch is much bigger, so talk about subwoofage slam in a large theatre. I can only imagine what it can do in a home living room. OMG. You probably never use more than 10 watts, eh?

Excuse my ignorance, but I was wondering why the use of commercial loudspeakers in a residence? Apart from the obvious increased sound levels, what other benefits are provided by this setup?

• Like 1