Klipsch KPT-1802-HLS Horn Subwoofer

Turbox

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators
On 4/13/2014 at 10:53 AM, Axz Hout said:

The description of drivers for the KPT-1802 started as "One K-472 18" woofer w/4" voice coil" and "One KD-1802 18" drone". To me a drone is a cone in a suspension without the magnet/voice coil. Pictures show a multiple port vent. Is this design evolution?

Leads me to wonder if a K-472 18" woofer was to replace the drone/port/vent would there be improvement in performance?

Just reread this thread for fun and seen this and it happened to be what we talking with Roy about the other day.

Yes it was a design evolution and it was a performance improvement. Kevin explained one of the problems of the drone but what Roy said the other day I thought was funny.

He said the drone was shredding, being torn apart so it led to more work which led to a better patented design which is the ports/vents into the horn.

I have to say it's an amazing design. I helped Kevin and Roy remove 2 684 subs from Kevin's room after a days listening and bring in the 1802 instead for more listening.

It was very surprising, the 2 684 subs could not come close to the sound of the 1802, and at the same time it was a much better sound. To me it was a much better sound, cleaner and more powerful, the more I listened the more I liked it.

To me it's the best sounding sub I have ever heard and I'm thrilled to have it's baby brother the maby soon to be 1502 model ? Same sound quality I heard in the 1802. Turbox, Kevin and a few others know what I mean when I say clean sounding when in a room, many heard it at Pilgrimage at Rodney's and in the backyard at klipsch, but in a normal room it's even better.

A not so great I-pad picture of Dr. Harmon's (Kevin's) man cave as he calls it a couple of weeks ago. He had to mount that 70" TV on the wall, when it sat on the sub it was distorting the picture in the center of the TV causing about a one foot circle to be white.

The room looks fun, but how it sounds is pretty amazing. imo

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• Moderators

That's funny, there are a bunch of deer on that left and right wall, Keven is a bow hunter, and apparently good at it. :D

I don't care about horns antlers, what I like are his deer burgers and sausage, whoever makes them for him seasons them perfectly. It's why I told him I was glad he got some deer this year, because they taste good, he laughed.

• Moderators
On 2/21/2018 at 7:49 AM, Schu said:

Funny... my eyes went right to the pot bellys...

He has been collecting them for a long time, even miniature copies in cast iron. He has a few more than that, most are old/ original not remakes. He said he found some when hunting in Kansas, I think it was, and a few other places. Those models are not easy to find, I have never came across one, we have the more modern plain style we use for heat.

• Moderators
On 2/22/2018 at 4:18 PM, babadono said:

Mmmmmm...venison chili mmmmmmm

His sausage and deer burgers are amazing, they mix brisket with deer for the burgers, there addictive, he always sends us home with a bunch. Kevin Please keep hunting, thank you. :)

On 2/20/2018 at 1:58 AM, dtel said:

Just reread this thread for fun and seen this and it happened to be what we talking with Roy about the other day.

Yes it was a design evolution and it was a performance improvement. Kevin explained one of the problems of the drone but what Roy said the other day I thought was funny.

He said the drone was shredding, being torn apart so it led to more work which led to a better patented design which is the ports/vents into the horn.

I have to say it's an amazing design. I helped Kevin and Roy remove 2 684 subs from Kevin's room after a days listening and bring in the 1802 instead for more listening.

It was very surprising, the 2 684 subs could not come close to the sound of the 1802, and at the same time it was a much better sound. To me it was a much better sound, cleaner and more powerful, the more I listened the more I liked it.

To me it's the best sounding sub I have ever heard and I'm thrilled to have it's baby brother the maby soon to be 1502 model ? Same sound quality I heard in the 1802. Turbox, Kevin and a few others know what I mean when I say clean sounding when in a room, many heard it at Pilgrimage at Rodney's and in the backyard at klipsch, but in a normal room it's even better.

A not so great I-pad picture of Dr. Harmon's (Kevin's) man cave as he calls it a couple of weeks ago. He had to mount that 70" TV on the wall, when it sat on the sub it was distorting the picture in the center of the TV causing about a one foot circle to be white.

The room looks fun, but how it sounds is pretty amazing. imo

image.jpeg

Beautiful picture of your equipment. Every time I look at the Klipsch 1802 subwoofer, it just doesn't look that big to me. It's hard for me to believe  that thing weighs 330 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

What do yall think about the performance of this sub if you "stood it up" on it's side and put in a corner.  Not sure how much Bonehead comes to the forums anymore.

My room would never do the center placement like pictured above.  I would have to do two of them as a stereo pair......1802 or 1502.  I'm not ready to order.....but just curious.  

--- Two 1802's, even the possible 1502, in a basement sized room??!! Hearing just one at Hope in Rodneys cavernous clubhouse I can't  imagine two in a domestic setting. Do you have earthquake insurance?!  Not wanting to quote as I may have misunderstood but I thought someone said Roy took one 1802 for a commercial theatre demo where it destroyed 3 or 4 subs they were currently using. 

3 hours ago, jwc said:

What do yall think about the performance of this sub if you "stood it up" on it's side and put in a corner.  Not sure how much Bonehead comes to the forums anymore.

I thought about this also jc and I believe it could be a very good option. 

Could open up some possibilities of improving room mode issues as well in the room.

miketn

On 3/11/2018 at 6:18 PM, jwc said:

Seems like a perfectly swell idea to me but Bonehead personally told me that they were designed so that the port side of the innards were coupled to the ground and need to stay situated like normal.  If I got some I'd at least want to try this.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Seems like a perfectly swell idea to me but Bonehead personally told me that they were designed so that the port side of the innards were coupled to the ground and need to stay situated like normal.  If I got some I'd at least want to try this.  

So then... let's get some :)

My tv needs a stand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Hmmm. So if one was to make sure the port side was against the side wall (assuming full length side walls and low enough crossover frequency used so that polar response wasn’t a concern) couldn’t that be similar to the floor orientation?

miketn.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

couldn’t that be similar to the floor orientation?

The only difference would be gravity :D

Your right, the side wall would would act as the ground.

One in each corner would be cool, just a slight bit of overkill.