Klipsch KPT-1802-HLS Horn Subwoofer

Turbox

I said, excuse my ignorance, but you have to get all high and mighty. I was just curious. Sorry for the bother. Jerk.

I'm sorry you took it that way, I just thought it would be pretty obvious to someone that calls themselves an "advanced member" with the thousands of posts written here about this very subject. Unfortunately, it's easy for either of us to come off in ways that were not meant to be, and this is clearly the case. I originally misinterpreted your intent as total sarcasm base on your "excuse my ignorance" opening statement along with your Advanced Member title. No offense meant either way, I'm sure. No bother at all, we are all here to figure all this out.

ClaudeJ1, I owe you a very sincere apology for my rude reply. You were correct. I was wrong to take offense. Please forgive me. I'm truly embarrassed to have started something that has taken away from the topic of the post. My behaviour was inexcusable.

• Like 2

ClaudeJ1, I owe you a very sincere apology for my rude reply. You were correct. I was wrong to take offense. Please forgive me. I'm truly embarrassed to have started something that has taken away from the topic of the post. My behaviour was inexcusable.

No apologies needed, but if you feel like it, it's automatically accepted.

Like my Australian buds always say. No worries, mate!

Time to listen to some good music on great horns.

Is there a frequency response graph for this sub anywhere? 26Hz +/- 3dB is pretty solid but not enough to cope with a lot of LFE out there. I'm quite interested in what it can do below that and the graph would give some indication.

I can see where we would all be curious about this. Just keep in mind that for THX theaters, going much below 25 Hz. is not part of the specification. Whereas, with the advent of all the tapped horns out there and the HT guys that dig down to single digit sub sub bass, I do get the reasoning behind your question.

I'm wanting to convert to horns on the sub but with 2 x DD-18, it's difficult to find a suitable substitute. The DD-18s aren't the best but they are (in tandem) PDG (Pretty Damn Good) and in tandem will provide very solid single digit levels. However, it's more the 15-25Hz range I'm interested in. There's a lot in that range that's worth listening to, err, feeling. I do appreciate that a great many folks don't realise what's there, but believe me, it is, and I want it.

Is there a frequency response graph for this sub anywhere? 26Hz +/- 3dB is pretty solid but not enough to cope with a lot of LFE out there. I'm quite interested in what it can do below that and the graph would give some indication.

I can see where we would all be curious about this. Just keep in mind that for THX theaters, going much below 25 Hz. is not part of the specification. Whereas, with the advent of all the tapped horns out there and the HT guys that dig down to single digit sub sub bass, I do get the reasoning behind your question.

I'm wanting to convert to horns on the sub but with 2 x DD-18, it's difficult to find a suitable substitute. The DD-18s aren't the best but they are (in tandem) PDG (Pretty Damn Good) and in tandem will provide very solid single digit levels. However, it's more the 15-25Hz range I'm interested in. There's a lot in that range that's worth listening to, err, feeling. I do appreciate that a great many folks don't realise what's there, but believe me, it is, and I want it.

Here you go, this should take care of all your needs. You should build TWO to spread the bass around the room better (room mode cancellations, etc.). If not, I'm sure Jason or someone else here can build them for you.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1502990/joes-lowarhorn-build.

I bought my second Danley DTS-10 from this guy and it's the only thing that can slightly outperform it. He needed a lower profile than either the Danley or the Gjallerhorn, so this the lower profile version of the amazing Gjallerhorn and much easier to builid.

You may be able to use your existing drivers if you have the Thiele/Small parameters for them or if they are on the list of drivers already modeled for this horn.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On April 16, 2017 at 4:59 PM, mach-1 said:

1802   = 18 motor/driver   x 2 

Yes 1 x 18in   cheap driver  +  with mock passive  not  = 2  real   motor/drivers?                 yelp to the submissive  listener!

Klipsch,com  reasoning is 1 woofer gives more extension (lower bass)  then more output using 2 woofers.

Plywood vs SPL

post-25295-0-40100000-1397186077.jpg

Really it's one driver but a port not a passive, this all feeds into a horn, and is pretty shocking, it can replace at least 4 18" direct radiators easily while sounding cleaner and deeper. We heard this difference in Kevin's room .(Kevin in pic)

The first ported horn sub ever.

It's not really much larger than a Heresy...  Keven has a birth defect that rendered him about 3' tall...

Everything else is an optical illusion...  (including him punching me in the nose for calling him a munchkin)

• Like 1

• Moderators

He would laugh, but you couldn't call the 1802 small, even medium size really.

Even the 1502 is far from small, not that I have a problem with it when it sounds like that.

25 minutes ago, dtel said:

He would laugh, but you couldn't call the 1802 small, even medium size really.

Even the 1502 is far from small, not that I have a problem with it when it sounds like that.

The 1802 is massive to say the least.  It has a beefy power handling ability also which is a plus.  130 db is no joke!

• Like 1

May be a prototype but you can see the wood grain and ply layers so I don't see how it would be MDF.  Wouldn't surprise me if the braces are MDF but the big panels are going to be plywood already.  No way can you shave anything down to save weight, it's just a friggin massive sub.  The danged thing even has to be shipped on two pallets, like at the same time.