Jubilee's for sale ! SOLD !

davis419b

Would it be too much to put these speakers in a room sized 12 X 18?

It would be part of tube setup, powered by a McIntosh 275?

Just curious.....

I had these in my 12 X 16 room on the long wall with no treatments and the sound was fantastic !

pm sent....

Very nice! How does the 510 compare to the 402?

It doesn't.

It's often been stated on the forum that the on-axis sound of the 510 is not that different from the 402. The 402 is better, but the difference is not like day and night, as you imply it is.

It's not an implication, it's a measurable and listenable fact. You can't cross a 510 at 300 Hz. with any driver, preiod. Sorry. But for a little horn, it's a darn good one at higher frequencies. Heck it was designed as a high power TWEETER to go on top of a 402/K1133, for gosh sake. It loses pattern control at 3.3 times the frequency of a 402, and that's very important to a lot of people.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Heck it was designed as a high power TWEETER to go on top of a 402/K1133, for gosh sake. It loses pattern control at 3.3 times the frequency of a 402, and that's very important to a lot of people.

Claude it was designed for Klipsch's 3-way as well as for their smaller 2-way cinema systems and not just as a tweeter..!

I don't know how davis419b feels but I wouldn't appreciate someone coming into my for sale thread with this sort of posting.

davis419b sorry for my post in your thread but I thought this should be clarified and lessen any confusion for someone interested in your sale as well as the K510.

miketn

• Like 2

Very nice! How does the 510 compare to the 402?

It doesn't.

It's often been stated on the forum that the on-axis sound of the 510 is not that different from the 402. The 402 is better, but the difference is not like day and night, as you imply it is.

It's not an implication, it's a measurable and listenable fact. You can't cross a 510 at 300 Hz. with any driver, preiod. Sorry. But for a little horn, it's a darn good one at higher frequencies. Heck it was designed as a high power TWEETER to go on top of a 402/K1133, for gosh sake. It loses pattern control at 3.3 times the frequency of a 402, and that's very important to a lot of people.

The 510 horn and the 402 horn, when used as tweeters on Jubilees and JubScalas, are both crossed over at about 480 Hertz. Whether or not the 510 can work well at 300 Hertz is not relevant in its usual application.

Heck it was designed as a high power TWEETER to go on top of a 402/K1133, for gosh sake. It loses pattern control at 3.3 times the frequency of a 402, and that's very important to a lot of people.

Claude it was designed for Klipsch's 3-way as well as for their smaller 2-way cinema systems and not just as a tweeter..!

I don't know how davis419b feels but I wouldn't appreciate someone coming into my for sale thread with this sort of posting.

davis419b sorry for my post in your thread but I thought this should be clarified and lessen any confusion for someone interested in your sale as well as the K510.

miketn

Hey Mike, You are right I dont like it ! Problem is it is not an accurate statement. I have KPT-904's that came with a 510 horn from 1998 which is long before the Jubilee was designed. I have never measured anything with anything other than my ears and they dont agree with Claude. They may not sound good on top of his LaScala type bass bins but they sound great on top of Jubilee bass bins !

• Like 1

miketn

Hey Mike, You are right I dont like it ! Problem is it is not an accurate statement. I have KPT-904's that came with a 510 horn from 1998 which is long before the Jubilee was designed. I have never measured anything with anything other than my ears and they dont agree with Claude. They may not sound good on top of his LaScala type bass bins but they sound great on top of Jubilee bass bins !

My apoligies if my post offended anyone. Never meant for that to happen. The 510 is an amazing performer for such a small horn and yes, it's often used with a LaScala bottom and Jubillee, or, especially, with Direct Radiator bass bins, simply because those bass bins go up higher in frequency response that a Khorn, I get it.

Yes it sounds good. I don't want to take anything away from it. I'm not anti 510 in any way, I'm Pro 402. But Mike, if you think the 510 is so great how come you have a 402 on top of your Jubes?

It's a great compromise, size wise, but to say "pas de difference" is a bit of stretch.

In the Pro Line, it's used PRIMARILY, as a tweeter in a 3-way system, which, because of the beaming of the 402 at 8Khz, is a good reason to go 3-way. It's no secret that I prefer 3-way over 2-way and there are valid reasons to prefer 2-way as you do. I just wanted to point out that based on the lower frequency performance, where Roy has proved and stated that a compression driver wins over a bass horn in terms of transient response and lower distortion at those critical midrange frequencies 300-600 Hz. and also the reason that a "mid bass" section exists in that critical area in a high power (non-home) application. So to my ears, the ability to cross lower in a horn that works well down there is sonically superior to a 600 Hz. Xover point just to be able to stretch a TAD into Super Tweeter territory for Phase Coherence (I get that choice too).

So yes, of ALL of the Klipsch Mid Horns I have owned and heard, the K-510 is superior to all of them. You all know what the exception is. Again, my apologies for butting my head in where it didn't belong. Over and out.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Claude, we all appreciate you enthusiasm.

However, this thread is about a sale and it is posted in the Garage Sale forum. Perhaps a simple apology and then backing away would be best.

Indeed. I didn't notice it was in Garage Sale initially, and I apologized a few posts ago. Nobody's perfect.

Go Boxx Go :D I know if I could drop $5K right now I would be all over them myself! I thought a couple pages back Tim was going to jump on them but those pm's passed and now you could be the new caretaker ;)

Oh how I wish and it is in driving distance too. I've bought from Don before and had a good experience. Like the passive crossovers since I'm more of a plug and play guy. Just didn't work out -- this time.